Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

worst case senario!!!

worst case senario!!!

Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:06 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice
Default worst case senario!!!

A thought for all those waiting for visas. Tony asked me if worst came to worst and we didn't get our visa for Oz, where would we go to live instead? I replied that I have no idea. Has anyone else asked themselves the question and what would your answer be and why. Tony suggested Spain or Turkey but I was unsure because of our 6 year old daughter and wether she would adapt to the language change. Any suggestions and/or ideas would be appreciated. Marie
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:08 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worst case senario!!!

how old are your children?
our friends moved to almeria spain and were concered also. they needn' have worried, 6 months after touching down the kids had friends could speek the lingo and were settled. the on the other hand are still trying to get their tongues around it.

louise
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:12 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Wink Re: worst case senario!!!

Originally Posted by TheRossers
A thought for all those waiting for visas. Tony asked me if worst came to worst and we didn't get our visa for Oz, where would we go to live instead? I replied that I have no idea. Has anyone else asked themselves the question and what would your answer be and why. Tony suggested Spain or Turkey but I was unsure because of our 6 year old daughter and wether she would adapt to the language change. Any suggestions and/or ideas would be appreciated. Marie

Worst case scenario - Kiwiland???! :scared:

Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:55 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Worst case scenario - Kiwiland???! :scared:

Kiwiland is fine ty, and contrary to rumour, English is still (and will continue to be) the official language.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well a suggestion JAJ came up with one time, which I thought was great, was Gibraltar. I never thought of that!

You get the climate, but don't have to worry about travelling half way round the world or learning a new lingo or anything.

I've done B****r all research into the actual practicality of moving to Gibraltar by the way, I was just surprised when I heard the idea, how obvious yet we'd never thought of it.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well a suggestion JAJ came up with one time, which I thought was great, was Gibraltar. I never thought of that!

You get the climate, but don't have to worry about travelling half way round the world or learning a new lingo or anything.

I've done B****r all research into the actual practicality of moving to Gibraltar by the way, I was just surprised when I heard the idea, how obvious yet we'd never thought of it.

Cheers,
JTL
Or Malta. They apparently drive on the proper side of the road too (same as UK).

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:55 pm
Professional Princess

This is something I have thought about too.

I have been to a few places in Europe and the only country I can think of as stunning, so beautiful it makes me want to photograph it at every opportunity, is Italy.

I love the way they live their lives, the unhurried family orientated way of life.

I am learning Italian and my husband has a good knowledge of the language.

Living there however could prove difficult because having a basic knowledge of the language is rarely enough to get you a job.

I don't know what i would do in the worst case scenario, but I do know that my world doesnt begin and end in the UK.

If you get knocked down, always have a plan B and C if you have to.

Find your space in life and go for it.

If Australia think Im not suitable to live there, I will find somewhere else.

Life is short, the world is big and you need to explore it whilst you still can.

Ive been to Australia twice, and although I love the country and am applying to move there, my next holiday is going to be in Namibia to film wildlife.

So keep your goal clearly within your sites and enjoy as many adventures as you can along the way.

And by doing this, you could well find 'your back up plan'

Good luck

Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
JTL
Canada is another obvious alternative (apart from NZ), if you can get a visa and don't mind the cold winters (or the rain in Vancouver if you go there).

A different option - not for everyone - might be the Falkland Islands.
http://www.falklands.gov.fk

Jeremy
Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:40 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Marie,

New Zealand! Tantalisingly close to the dream land, relatively easy to get into, low cost of living, and after five years (I think) you can hot-foot it across to Oz. Great for families apparently.

Cheers,
Nicky
Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

So you do have a sense of humour.

You hide it well

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Marie,

New Zealand! Tantalisingly close to the dream land, relatively easy to get into, low cost of living, and after five years (I think) you can hot-foot it across to Oz. Great for families apparently.

Cheers,
Nicky
It will be more than five years.

- the residence requirement for NZ citizenship will soon be set at 5 years
- however you need to add processing time (almost a year currently) and the fact that they expect you to plan to stay living in NZ when you become a citizen. It's going to be more like 6-7 years under the new rules.
- NZ citizens in Australia do not have access to certain permanent residence/citizenship rights.

Jeremy
Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:53 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It will be more than five years.

- the residence requirement for NZ citizenship will soon be set at 5 years
- however you need to add processing time (almost a year currently) and the fact that they expect you to plan to stay living in NZ when you become a citizen. It's going to be more like 6-7 years under the new rules.
- NZ citizens in Australia do not have access to certain permanent residence/citizenship rights.

Jeremy
JAJ,

How do you know this stuff, you scary knowledge-book you!! Actually, you'd be a god-send at our local pub-quiz. Let me know if you hire out your brain for bookings.

Nicky
Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
I just had a look at the falklands islands site. Its a bit light on job details.

What are the prospects for an IT worker do you think?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:58 pm
In my own little world!

I just had a look at the falklands islands site. Its a bit light on job details.

Cheers,
JTL
Probably not much, unless you fancy teaching sheep how to use a computer
Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

Cheers,
JTL

Impossible to say, although maybe less promising compared to a tradesman. Jobs probably come up on a case by case basis.

The population of the Falklands is only 2500 (they do want more people, especially British citizens) but the economy is fairly strong, based on agriculture, fishing and resource exploration.

Anyone keen on the idea should contact the Falklands government office directly. As I've noted, the lifestyle there is not for everyone (eg if you're going to miss the local tescos ... )

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.