Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The worse thing I dont like about Oz

The worse thing I dont like about Oz

Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:50 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The worse thing I dont like about Oz

Originally Posted by ozboy
What annoys me most is people who sing in supermarkets. Everytime time l go to the supermarket theres always some shopper walking down the aisles singing to themselves it annoys the hell out of me:curse:
Aye, the singing in supermarkets is the most annoying thing ever. What gives people the right to be happy in a public place? :curse:

I'm considering moving to Baghdad, I'm sure there is nothing quite that annoying there.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

What annoys me most is people who sing in supermarkets. Everytime time l go to the supermarket theres always some shopper walking down the aisles singing to themselves it annoys the hell out of me:curse:
oh, you've seen me about then
S xx
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

I dont find it here, no different to UK really.
Denise
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

there is nothing wrong with singing and dancing round the shops, I do it all the time, kids love it.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the rough

The main reason for my original post was not to have a moan about my life in Australia, becuase I love it.

I was trying to make a comment about different cultures that we have here compared to the UK.

I suppose it has always been a "pet hate" of mine that some people dont acknowledge someone being curtious.........after all it cost nothing !!!

And Im also aware of the social standards in the UK having only been in Australia for a small amount of time.

As someone said on this thread Adelaide is a wonderful place to live with a nice laid back attitude, nice people who are always friendly.................but they still dont know how to say "thank you".....
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:07 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyboy
Just wanted to hear from others living around Australia, do you find the locals never seem to say thank you ???

Like when you stop at a crossing for pedestrains, or when you move out the way in a supermarket isle............they never seem to say "thank you"

Well Im in Adelaide, and Im afraid it's like that here, even my wife who works in a nursery says that the kids seldom say please or thank you.

Any thoughts !!!!
I used to work in the tuckshop at my boy's primary school and the kids would always always say "Please may I have..." and then spend the next 5 minutes deciding what to have. The kids round here all have impeccable manners.

I think it may have something to do with living in a suburb which is a community rather than just part of an urban sprawl as I also find the supermarket staff to be genuinely interested. They know who I am and spot when anythings out of the ordinary. The girls in the bakers know my order and the lady in the opticians waves when I walk past etc.

And, while I'm on a roll , I just don't get it when a poster says "I don't like Australian women". Do they not realise how ridiculous that actually sounds? Fair enough to say you haven't found anybody you get along with, but to dismiss an entire race? Again, I'm lucky in the area we chose to settle in. People round here have similar backgrounds to us so we feel comfortable among them.

There are many many things that annoy me here, but the people I meet on a daily basis are not one of them.

Jane
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:27 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Sexism.

When you do finally find an aussie bloke who can manage an intelligent and "equal" conversation with a woman you are so stunned you get tongue tied. By the same token, aussie men seem stunned you are a female and want one!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:29 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Aussie men seem stunned you are a female and want one!
One what?

... oh ... a conversation.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:33 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
One what?

... oh ... a conversation.

You know, sometimes i wish i wasnt happily married just so i could try dating a few aussie blokes. Geeez i could have some fun there!!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that really bugs the hell out of me is that they seem to put "a" on the end of words instead of the correct "er". Eg: Supalock steel buildings, the kid in my son's class named Treva, the kid we saw at the hospital named Tayla. Just because you can't say the "r" sound, doesn't mean it should disappear! Are they going to start driving cahs next?
Otherwise, couldn't be happier here
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:37 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The one thing that really bugs the hell out of me is that they seem to put "a" on the end of words instead of the correct "er". Eg: Supalock steel buildings, the kid in my son's class named Treva, the kid we saw at the hospital named Tayla. Just because you can't say the "r" sound, doesn't mean it should disappear! Are they going to start driving cahs next?
Otherwise, couldn't be happier here
I notice that....my son's name is Tyler, he has given up and had Ty put on the back of his 12 shirt. My daughter's name is Briony, I don't even try and work out how the r disappears from that!

But to be fair, I now am told by my UK friends and relatives I go up at the end of senTANCES? Always seem to be asking the quesTION?

Belfast brash with aussie twang.....I sound sweet NOT!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:02 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra

But to be fair, I now am told by my UK friends and relatives I go up at the end of senTANCES? Always seem to be asking the quesTION?

Belfast brash with aussie twang.....I sound sweet NOT!
hehe...i can't wait to hear what happens my accent when I'm living there. I'm Irish, have lived in three different Irish cities with distinct accents so have a bit of a mish mash going on already. Then lived in Scotland so now say 'aye' and 'naw' etc as well as the usual slang etc. Now living in London and my family accuse me of sounding posh coz i suppose I've tempered my accent a little to make myself understood. The Aussie addition should be hilarious...

and on the subject of people being rude etc, you get that EVERYWHERE (stating the obvious here!) I closed a bank account at the weekend, when asked why i said that the customer service I had received at the branch was appalling. The girl LAUGHED. It just confirmed why i was closing it!

Last edited by RedT; Jun 12th 2007 at 1:03 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
what is the best thing you like about australia then? are you going to live your life critcising and generalising? my local supermarket is great! everyone is really friendly and helpful and i know everyone who works there. but then i am not trying to give a critical evaluation of there "friendliness factor" i am just friendly to them and they are friendly back
oh indeed, the friendliness factor is there .... when someone's trying to sell you something!!

Last edited by rabsody; Jul 2nd 2007 at 11:19 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:45 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

What annoys me are all the people still wearing shoes

Comeon your in Oz take em off I dear you.

Too cold at the moment but just you wait
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

and then there's where you let a car pull out in front of you, nothing like a thank you is there! ...

Altho to be honest I've learnt that you simply don't let people out!

It makes it all the more easier if you ask me, and then I wonder why they're so bemused cos I've let them out! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.