Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The worse thing I dont like about Oz

The worse thing I dont like about Oz

Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the rough
Default The worse thing I dont like about Oz

Just wanted to hear from others living around Australia, do you find the locals never seem to say thank you ???

Like when you stop at a crossing for pedestrains, or when you move out the way in a supermarket isle............they never seem to say "thank you"

Well Im in Adelaide, and Im afraid it's like that here, even my wife who works in a nursery says that the kids seldom say please or thank you.

Any thoughts !!!!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The worse thing I dont like about Oz

I live in Adelaide too and for the most part i'd have to say yes! i have noticed that.

When you first arrive you think god everyone's ones so friendly because everytime you go into a shop they say "Hi how you goin'" and you think they're interested! After a couple of weeks you notice that everyone says this and it's a script.. lol.

Drivers are a little inconsiderate too.. I don't know if it's because the roads are wider and maybe they expect me to squeeze along side the buses/parked cars but no one ever lets you pull into the next lane do they!
I love to be generous and let people in ... lol Sometimes they just look confused!

Having said that Adelaide is lovely and I have met some top people... I guess it's just one of those little quirks,... a cultural thing?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
I live in Adelaide too and for the most part i'd have to say yes! i have noticed that.

When you first arrive you think god everyone's ones so friendly because everytime you go into a shop they say "Hi how you goin'" and you think they're interested! After a couple of weeks you notice that everyone says this and it's a script.. lol.

Drivers are a little inconsiderate too.. I don't know if it's because the roads are wider and maybe they expect me to squeeze along side the buses/parked cars but no one ever lets you pull into the next lane do they!
I love to be generous and let people in ... lol Sometimes they just look confused!

Having said that Adelaide is lovely and I have met some top people... I guess it's just one of those little quirks,... a cultural thing?
I find that when I say "excuse me" in shops etc to move past someone I get a confused look, and Aussies in turn tend to just push past. The insincerity in most check-out assistants just makes me laugh now - I usually reply to their "Hows your day been" with a comment like"Complete garbage, hows yours". I then either get a stunned look (if they were listening) or (more often) a reply of "thats nice......"
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:39 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyboy
Just wanted to hear from others living around Australia, do you find the locals never seem to say thank you ???

Like when you stop at a crossing for pedestrains, or when you move out the way in a supermarket isle............they never seem to say "thank you"

Well Im in Adelaide, and Im afraid it's like that here, even my wife who works in a nursery says that the kids seldom say please or thank you.

Any thoughts !!!!
what is the best thing you like about australia then? are you going to live your life critcising and generalising? my local supermarket is great! everyone is really friendly and helpful and i know everyone who works there. but then i am not trying to give a critical evaluation of there "friendliness factor" i am just friendly to them and they are friendly back
Old Jun 11th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by why
what is the best thing you like about australia then? are you going to live your life critcising and generalising? my local supermarket is great! everyone is really friendly and helpful and i know everyone who works there. but then i am not trying to give a critical evaluation of there "friendliness factor" i am just friendly to them and they are friendly back
Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by happyboy

Any thoughts !!!!
If you think its bad there, come and visit the UK!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:59 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by why
46 posts to your name and so far, every one that I have read seems to be an attempt at either, winding someone up or starting a fight! What exactly is your purpose here?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
46 posts to your name and so far, every one that I have read seems to be an attempt at either, winding someone up or starting a fight! What exactly is your purpose here?
well said , thought WHY was goin the other day .... said Goodbye , yet here you are still ?

WHY ?? we all wonder

Last edited by Scott; Jun 11th 2007 at 5:02 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
well said , thought WHY was goin the other day .... said Goodbye , yet here you are still ?

WHY ?? we all wonder
Ditto .... was really pleased when WHY said goodbye in the other thread as all they have done is be a pain in the a**e.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:39 pm
Banned

ozboy is an unknown quantity at this point

What annoys me most is people who sing in supermarkets. Everytime time l go to the supermarket theres always some shopper walking down the aisles singing to themselves it annoys the hell out of me:curse:
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ozboy
What annoys me most is people who sing in supermarkets. Everytime time l go to the supermarket theres always some shopper walking down the aisles singing to themselves it annoys the hell out of me:curse:
is this true ? whats the most sung tune ?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:05 pm
skye

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Well done Fluffy!!! - I cant agree more!

Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:07 pm
skye

Originally Posted by scott&rachel

WHY ?? we all wonder
Annoying! what is their problem!

Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozboy
Oh I would annoy the crap out of you then I sing to myself all the time!!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
If you think its bad there, come and visit the UK!
Already plenty of posts on here slating the UK! Funny that there's always one who stumps up with but yeah but have you seen how bad it is in the UK. I'd assume most people on here have had a lifetime of experience of living in the UK so don't really need to know about it, on the other hand lots of people wanting to move to Aus with little or no experience of it so would like to hear the good, bad & ugly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.