Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worrying about my 6 year old girl adapting to NZ life from the UK

Worrying about my 6 year old girl adapting to NZ life from the UK

Old Dec 27th 2002, 11:39 am
Just Joined

speedyfake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worrying about my 6 year old girl adapting to NZ life from the UK

Hi - I have a 6 year old daughter and a 2 year old daughter and we are emigrating to NZ in February 2003. Would like to speak to any other parents who have children around the same age who have emigrated from the UK.

Especially worried about the lifestyle change and school work changes, making friends for my 6 year old. Any info on other peoples experiences would be great.

from Sarah
Old Dec 27th 2002, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah

We emigrated from UK to Australia 6 months ago and have a 6 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. Both have them have settled in really well. Particularly our daughter because she has made lots of new friends at school. Work wise she is slightly ahead for her year group but I think that helped her settle in as she could concentrate on making friends rather than trying to catch up with the other kids.

I know we're not going to be in the same country but if you want to get in touch directly you can do so through this site.

Claire xx
Old Dec 27th 2002, 7:11 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Worrying about my 6 year old girl adapting to NZ life from the UK

Originally posted by speedyfake
Hi - I have a 6 year old daughter and a 2 year old daughter and we are emigrating to NZ in February 2003. Would like to speak to any other parents who have children around the same age who have emigrated from the UK.

Especially worried about the lifestyle change and school work changes, making friends for my 6 year old. Any info on other peoples experiences would be great.

from Sarah
Hi Sarah,
We emigrated to Christchurch NZ from the UK 7 weeks ago. We have a 7yr old son and a 4yr old daughter.
So far they have settled really well. Although because we arrived just before the summer hols they haven't started school yet. We have enroled in a school and Jack popped in to meet his new teacher and class on the last day of term. I sat on the side lines and it was great to watch, school regimes are pretty much the same (sit on the carpet, hand up, good morning Mrs...) he looked so at home and comfortable to see a familiar enviorment. Although as in another post, from looking at the work on the wall he is ahead of his peers work wise, especially as he was educated in a class a year above his age in the UK. I disscused this with his new head, and we both agreed he has had enough changes for now and if he finds the work a little easy at first then he can concentrate on settling. The head assured me that once Jack was comfortable at school and the school knew Jack we would look again at his academic needs.
My daughter had started school in the UK but can't start here till here 5th birthday, again she is ahead of her peers but it is something I have covered with the school.
As for making friends, well untill they start school it's a little difficult. We have bought a house but it's on a new development and we have no neighbours! Jacks birthday 2weeks after arrival was a shame for him no mates to invite, living in a motel but we consoled him with a PS2 and a promise of the mother of all parties next year!(I could regret that)
Still the one benifit is as brother & sister they have become amazingly close, with only each other to play with lately there relationship has really deepened and it has been lovely to watch.
A little spoiling at xmas this year and I have to say they have had no problems with the move so far.

Any other questions and I will try to help.

Paula
Old Dec 28th 2002, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by speedyfake

from Sarah
Hi - although we're in Oz not NZ, I would say don't worry at all about your children settling in. Our two adapted IMMEDIATELY - son aged 10 and daughter aged 7 (going on 17). Daughter came home from school on first day and announced she had already made 10 new friends (and could name them all!), son has 3/4 friends - he only had 1 "best mate" in the UK, and both like their school.

Both are ahead of their peers over here - so perhaps they could concentrate more on settling in and making friends than actually learning anything...
Old Dec 28th 2002, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Hi Sarah,
We emigrated to Christchurch NZ from the UK 7 weeks ago. We have a 7yr old son and a 4yr old daughter.
So far they have settled really well. Although because we arrived just before the summer hols they haven't started school yet. We have enroled in a school and Jack popped in to meet his new teacher and class on the last day of term. I sat on the side lines and it was great to watch, school regimes are pretty much the same (sit on the carpet, hand up, good morning Mrs...) he looked so at home and comfortable to see a familiar enviorment. Although as in another post, from looking at the work on the wall he is ahead of his peers work wise, especially as he was educated in a class a year above his age in the UK. I disscused this with his new head, and we both agreed he has had enough changes for now and if he finds the work a little easy at first then he can concentrate on settling. The head assured me that once Jack was comfortable at school and the school knew Jack we would look again at his academic needs.
My daughter had started school in the UK but can't start here till here 5th birthday, again she is ahead of her peers but it is something I have covered with the school.
As for making friends, well untill they start school it's a little difficult. We have bought a house but it's on a new development and we have no neighbours! Jacks birthday 2weeks after arrival was a shame for him no mates to invite, living in a motel but we consoled him with a PS2 and a promise of the mother of all parties next year!(I could regret that)
Still the one benifit is as brother & sister they have become amazingly close, with only each other to play with lately there relationship has really deepened and it has been lovely to watch.
A little spoiling at xmas this year and I have to say they have had no problems with the move so far.

Any other questions and I will try to help.

Paula
Wish I could say the same about my two - they're still fighting like cat and dog!