worries worries

Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all
Default worries worries

just a wee bit positive feed back need...or just the truth.

just started the process to oz but now i am thinking can we make it?

my husband is a plasterer and by what i am reading they do it different over there....we are only going out with £10.000 and our belongings following.
we dont want to rent forever but also by reading i dont think we can afford to buy over there?
i don't know if it is just pre nerves but now that i think about the move 24/7 all this keeps going over my head...will he get a job with the trade being so different and what if we have to come home and start all over again.....

help has anyone gone out with this amount and managed to buy a house in the long run and survive.............?
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worries worries

I can only help by saying that the plastering over here is a bit dodgy to say the least. They just bandage sheets of plasterboard together then plaster the cracks together then sand it. Its certainly not pastering as we know it.

However the upside is that it should be easy as for him to learn to do it.

Can't help with any of your other worries as we've had different circumstances.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:45 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clanwylie
just a wee bit positive feed back need...or just the truth.

just started the process to oz but now i am thinking can we make it?

my husband is a plasterer and by what i am reading they do it different over there....we are only going out with £10.000 and our belongings following.
we dont want to rent forever but also by reading i dont think we can afford to buy over there?
i don't know if it is just pre nerves but now that i think about the move 24/7 all this keeps going over my head...will he get a job with the trade being so different and what if we have to come home and start all over again.....

help has anyone gone out with this amount and managed to buy a house in the long run and survive.............?

not done the move yet, but dont worry - plasterers are in demand out there so he will get work no probs. by all accounts its much easier and more relaxed (not so strict on H & S regs), and mainly boarding and skimming.
Someone who used to post on here's hubby is a plasterer and he found work with no probs - you just go on site and ask for work! think the wages are pretty much the same as in the uk - last time i heard from Rach im sure she mentioned a starting rate of about $19/20 an hour to start on, and then the rate went up when the boss saw how good he was. they tend to start early - 7am, and work til 3, which is nice....you get the rest of the afternoon off! Not much 'fiddle work', so if your hubby is like mine and always doing extra jobs in the evening and weekends, aus will be a god send!

as for the rest, im sure someone who has moved and survived will come along soon and reassure you!!!
FWIW, we are going with aobut £10k, 3 kids and a sense of adventure. If it doesnt work out we will come home smiling and say 'at least we had a go'

sue
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:33 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I know a couple of people who have come to Perth and have both easily found work as plasterers, one has even now gone out on his own, so i've heard through the grapevine. I think by what Hevs says it's different in different states, you don't see much in the way of plasterboard here in WA, just brick, render and plaster.

As for coming with a small amount of money, obviously the more you have the easier it will be, but don't be fooled into thinking that everyine who makes the move has loads of cash, I'm sure many people on this site have made the move with a similar amount to yourselves.

Lynn
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:43 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

We are coming out with 10-15k - i'm sure we will manage on that providing we gets jobs quickly - we have just sold and moved out of our 1st house we had in the UK - when we bought that we had NO savings and we got a 100% morgage and furnished it gradually with our wages each month - we ended up making 35k profit on that house in 5 years - by the time we have paid everything off here thought and booked flights, shipping etc. we will only have 15k max.

Keep positive and build up gradually.....we plan on renting for 6 months to 1 year and saving as much of our wages as possible to save up a house deposit. We will be debt free in Oz and won't need to buy much furniture as we are shipping the contents of our 2 bedroom house in Scotland - that will do us at first and we can gradually buy more stuff as and when we can without going into debt - there is nothing we can't survive without at first so i'm not worried.

Hope this has reasurred you?

Lynn
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
We are coming out with 10-15k - i'm sure we will manage on that providing we gets jobs quickly - we have just sold and moved out of our 1st house we had in the UK - when we bought that we had NO savings and we got a 100% morgage and furnished it gradually with our wages each month - we ended up making 35k profit on that house in 5 years - by the time we have paid everything off here thought and booked flights, shipping etc. we will only have 15k max.

Keep positive and build up gradually.....we plan on renting for 6 months to 1 year and saving as much of our wages as possible to save up a house deposit. We will be debt free in Oz and won't need to buy much furniture as we are shipping the contents of our 2 bedroom house in Scotland - that will do us at first and we can gradually buy more stuff as and when we can without going into debt - there is nothing we can't survive without at first so i'm not worried.

Hope this has reasurred you?

Lynn

Hi Lynn

we too are the same.... selling first house we bought in Scotland and we hope to make about the same profit but the time you pays things off etc.
hoping to move there next July as holiday paid for next year in June and don't want to cancel as it might be the last holiday for awhile!
where you off to? we are hoping Perth ...Rossmoyne area?
just worrying about getting mortg etc and cars but hey it add to the excitement of it all and we have two kids....good luck
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:12 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clanwylie
Hi Lynn

we too are the same.... selling first house we bought in Scotland and we hope to make about the same profit but the time you pays things off etc.
hoping to move there next July as holiday paid for next year in June and don't want to cancel as it might be the last holiday for awhile!
where you off to? we are hoping Perth ...Rossmoyne area?
just worrying about getting mortg etc and cars but hey it add to the excitement of it all and we have two kids....good luck
Hi Nice to know i'm not alone too!

We are off to Brisbane - flying 31st October!!!!! So getting very exciting now!

Best of luck!

Lynn