Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worried about shipping tools

Worried about shipping tools

Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Worried about shipping tools

Hi
Just wondered if anyone has come across any problems with customs about shipping mechanics tools?
My husband has a large tool box (roll cab) and about £10,000 worth of tools. His main concerns are:-

1) to what standard of cleanliness each individual tool will have to be, to meet Aussie regulations & would they need treating so they would not pose a threat to the Australian environment

2) theft of tools / tools going missing in transit or at the docks - would the shipping insurance cover this?

Any feedback or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:23 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about shipping tools

I'm also taking a lot of tools, so it would be useful have have any info.
Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by woogle
Hi
Just wondered if anyone has come across any problems with customs about shipping mechanics tools?
My husband has a large tool box (roll cab) and about £10,000 worth of tools. His main concerns are:-

1) to what standard of cleanliness each individual tool will have to be, to meet Aussie regulations & would they need treating so they would not pose a threat to the Australian environment

2) theft of tools / tools going missing in transit or at the docks - would the shipping insurance cover this?

Thanks
i shiped all my plasterering tools in a case on the flight no problems.
can you get hold of them big heat shrink bags you see them on pallets?

Last edited by robert cowan; Oct 17th 2005 at 8:32 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

My husband says tools weigh over 500kg's, so air freight would be too expensive.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

My husband says tools weigh over 500kg's, so air freight would be too expensive.
i shipped the bulk of my tools with crown relocation along with other household stuff. cleaned stuff first and we had no poblems. we also took out insurance as it would have cost a lot to replace them. all my hand tools that i needed ,to be able to work while i waited for the rest, was cleaned up and i wrapped them in cling film and put them in our suitcases, when we went through customs, i declared this and again no problems.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:55 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
I put all my spanners sockets etc through the dishwasher they came up brilliantly clean and we had no problems shipping them. I did wait until Deb was at work before I used the dishwasher and bunged some dishwasher cleaner in afterwards saved hours of washing then drying oily tools and we left the dishwasher for the new owners anyway.
AQIS & Customs opened every box we shipped and nothing was missing or broken, a relief as I was worried about the pilfering which is so common on the U.K dockside's
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:02 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
All tools must be free of soil/dirt/vegetable matter, oil grease not a problem, your tools will go into a BOND store and cleared by AQIS, all bond store,s must have 24/7 cctv coverage theft not a problem.................... mm
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cresta57
I put all my spanners sockets etc through the dishwasher they came up brilliantly clean and we had no problems shipping them. I did wait until Deb was at work before I used the dishwasher and bunged some dishwasher cleaner in afterwards saved hours of washing then drying oily tools and we left the dishwasher for the new owners anyway.
AQIS & Customs opened every box we shipped and nothing was missing or broken, a relief as I was worried about the pilfering which is so common on the U.K dockside's

Not going to show my husband this dont want to give him ideas, he can have a bucket in the back garden, not using my dishwasher!!!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:37 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leechy100
Not going to show my husband this dont want to give him ideas, he can have a bucket in the back garden, not using my dishwasher!!!!!!
Each to his/her own but personally I fail to see the difference between washing engine oil / grease from a set of tools and washing spag sauce or bacon fat off kitchen utensils.

Afterall, when hubby actually does wash his tools, what further use do you have for your dishwasher since it would be time for the more important issue of moving to oz !

One quick thought along the lines of tools: ie kitchen Vs hand tools:

If you just packed your corkscrew (your last day in uk) and were really looking forward to that expensive celebratory chardonnay, would you balk at hubby if he came to the rescue with a woodscrew and pair of pliers and removed the cork in no time flat ?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info,looks like this will be one less thing to worry about, now if I can just sort out the other 9999 I' ll be able to chill
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:48 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info,looks like this will be one less thing to worry about, now if I can just sort out the other 9999 I' ll be able to chill
*TIP*

Clean your tools, and wipe them with Jeyes Fluid, apparently AQIS guys sniff out and endorse this fabulous product

we exported all our woodworking machinery, power and hand tools

Steve
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Question Re: Worried about shipping tools

can i ask about transporting chemicals.
I'm a freelance hairstylist,wanting to transport all products realising that things like shampoo etc,will be no problem,but what about things like hydrogen peroxide,ammonia etc,does anyone have any clues?
Lynn
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:44 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
can i ask about transporting chemicals.
I'm a freelance hairstylist,wanting to transport all products realising that things like shampoo etc,will be no problem,but what about things like hydrogen peroxide,ammonia etc,does anyone have any clues?
Lynn
You wont be able to bring bleaches etc see below:

http://www.casa.gov.au/dg/luggage/index.htm
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:06 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
*TIP*

Clean your tools, and wipe them with Jeyes Fluid, apparently AQIS guys sniff out and endorse this fabulous product

we exported all our woodworking machinery, power and hand tools

Steve
Sorry steve in 20yrs i have never seen an Aqis inpector ,comment or even mention jeyes fluid, they are going to check any way....... mm
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
You wont be able to bring bleaches etc see below:

http://www.casa.gov.au/dg/luggage/index.htm
Thanx for that,i did notice though that this was an aviation warning,i was wondering if that applies for shipping containers and the bleach that i would be bringing would be the kind for the hair not floor,different kind of hazard,but not sure it would be a dangerous thing on a ship.
Any comments?
Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.