Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

worried about renting.

worried about renting.

Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future
Red face worried about renting.

im getting a little bit worried, ive looked on a couple of sites for property to rent and there isnt an awfull lot there.do u think there will be more available in local papers when we get there? we wil have about a month to find somewhere that will except our dog. someone please tell me it wont be an absolute nightmare.were nearing the end of this waiting i know i should be excited but all these worries keep creaping into my head!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: worried about renting.

Originally Posted by island.girl
im getting a little bit worried, ive looked on a couple of sites for property to rent and there isnt an awfull lot there.do u think there will be more available in local papers when we get there? we wil have about a month to find somewhere that will except our dog. someone please tell me it wont be an absolute nightmare.were nearing the end of this waiting i know i should be excited but all these worries keep creaping into my head!

Hi there, my neice works for ljhooker in perth and she has told me there is plenty of rentals that are not on the internet. I was feeling the same but hopefully surprised when we get there. What part are you going to. Carole
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future
Default Re: worried about renting.

Originally Posted by caroledouglas
Hi there, my neice works for ljhooker in perth and she has told me there is plenty of rentals that are not on the internet. I was feeling the same but hopefully surprised when we get there. What part are you going to. Carole
oh thats good hopefully there will be on the other side to,were heading to wollongong jus south of sydney NSW.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:12 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

we had a look for rentals in january around victoria point in brisbane and there was'nt a lot to choose from,ray whites realestate only had 3 on there books and they said this is the norm and they get snapped up really quick
good luck jonni
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi there, we re heading out to brisbane ourselves very soon,my friends there at the moment and assures me that theres alot of rentals once you get there,sp hopefully you ll be pleasantly suprised

tracey
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: worried about renting.

Originally Posted by jonni boy
we had a look for rentals in january around victoria point in brisbane and there was'nt a lot to choose from,ray whites realestate only had 3 on there books and they said this is the norm and they get snapped up really quick
good luck jonni
Do you think if they know you're not local they try and pull the wool over your eyes a bit to get you to take whatever they offer you ?

Maybe I'm being cinical but I've heard it's best to shop for cars with someone local cos if they see you as a newly arrived immigrant they think $$$ and you may not get the best price like an Ozzy would.

Maybe it's the same with Rentals and they think, ah ha, I've got a few properties here that aren't shifting, I'll show them those and say it's all we've got so you'd better chose one quick !

I'm not having a go at anybody here and don't mean to offend anybody but we're talking about estate agents after all, not the most honest people from my experience.

Phil
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:42 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Do you think if they know you're not local they try and pull the wool over your eyes a bit to get you to take whatever they offer you ?

Maybe I'm being cinical but I've heard it's best to shop for cars with someone local cos if they see you as a newly arrived immigrant they think $$$ and you may not get the best price like an Ozzy would.

Maybe it's the same with Rentals and they think, ah ha, I've got a few properties here that aren't shifting, I'll show them those and say it's all we've got so you'd better chose one quick !

I'm not having a go at anybody here and don't mean to offend anybody but we're talking about estate agents after all, not the most honest people from my experience.

Phil
i know what ya mean but they had the rental list on display in the shop and we also looked at wellington point and it was the same,they had loads of really great properties for sale but it was just the rentals that are in high demand,we drove around for days on end looking at loads of areas and saw plenty of for sale signs but not many to let boards.......i hope your right mate and i'm wrong
jonni
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonni boy
i know what ya mean but they had the rental list on display in the shop and we also looked at wellington point and it was the same,they had loads of really great properties for sale but it was just the rentals that are in high demand,we drove around for days on end looking at loads of areas and saw plenty of for sale signs but not many to let boards.......i hope your right mate and i'm wrong
jonni
Nope Jonni, you arent wrong, rentals in the bayside area are quite hard to come by right now.

No pulling wool over anyones eyes, demand definitely exceeds supply.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: worried about renting.

www.realestate.com.au its perfecto!!

its like the espc in edinburgh! or simmilar! it the sunday post or somthin but anyway its got all the local listings!! like ljhooker and ray white! down to all the small companys!! theres zillions in it!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi
www.realestate.com.au its perfecto!!

its like the espc in edinburgh! or simmilar! it the sunday post or somthin but anyway its got all the local listings!! like ljhooker and ray white! down to all the small companys!! theres zillions in it!!!
The websites are good to give you a rough idea of what out there, but as Mrs D said the rental market moves very quickly and they are often out of date.

We found that the best way was to drive around and pick up the rental lists from the estate agents and ask them if the list was current, as often you find that a couple have already been taken and the estate agent may know of some which are coming up soon. It took us 3 weeks to find a place, but then we were picky and turned down places without flyscreens or aircon.

If you rent in the UK get a letter of recommendation from your existing landlord as it'll help in getting a prospective landlord to accept your application.

For wot its worth we are paying $300 pw for a 3 bed 5 year old house in Manly West.

Cheers

Papa Z
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:11 am
wombat42

Real estate agents in OZ tend not to show their rental properties on their web sites for some reason. They are advertisied in their shop windows or you have to ask. So looking on the internet would have given you a false impression that there are'nt many available. Many Aussies own second homes as investments which they rent out, so there is an enormous supply of rental properties in OZ.

Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

thankyou very much everyone for all your usefull comments!