Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worried about Bundy

Wikiposts

Worried about Bundy

Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Worried about Bundy

Originally Posted by bundy
It was 1977, year of the Silver Jubilee

I'll get the chin back up soon, it's just getting used to the news about my aunt and working out what it means for me that's knocked me for six. Much worse for my aunt - she's only 46 and has a 6 year old son. Luckily for her, she lives in Spain where the testing for breast cancer is a lot better, hence her early diagnosis. I don't think I'll get away with not having the gene....basically, I take after my mum's side of the family in so many ways that I clearly have a whacking great dose of their genes. I know that doesn't necessarily mean that I'll have the gene, or that even if I do, I'll get breast cancer, but let's just say the odds aren't great.

I understand fully what you are saying Bundy (I too have had a breast scare) and unless people have been through it they will never know what it is like. I can't say anything to aleviate your fears, other than you will be closely monitored, whether you have the gene or not and in England that is a very good thing !

We are all thinking of you. The attitude of 'to hell with it' really helps.

SD.

PS.
I remember waving the flags at the Silver Jubilee also, when the Queen visited Leeds as part of her Jubilee tour !!! Too much, very very depressed now !
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:07 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

It was 1977, year of the Silver Jubilee

I'll get the chin back up soon, it's just getting used to the news about my aunt and working out what it means for me that's knocked me for six. Much worse for my aunt - she's only 46 and has a 6 year old son. Luckily for her, she lives in Spain where the testing for breast cancer is a lot better, hence her early diagnosis. I don't think I'll get away with not having the gene....basically, I take after my mum's side of the family in so many ways that I clearly have a whacking great dose of their genes. I know that doesn't necessarily mean that I'll have the gene, or that even if I do, I'll get breast cancer, but let's just say the odds aren't great.
Forgive me, but I remember watching a programme on this very subject, and the daughters of a breast cancer victim opted to have their breasts removed when they found that they were carrying the gene, thereby removing the risk of getting the disease. I desperately hope that you get the all clear though.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:14 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Covenant
Forgive me, but I remember watching a programme on this very subject, and the daughters of a breast cancer victim opted to have their breasts removed when they found that they were carrying the gene, thereby removing the risk of getting the disease. I desperately hope that you get the all clear though.

Yep, it's one of my options, although if I do have the gene I also have to consider having my ovaries removed too since the same gene can also cause ovarian cancer. Which is a pleasant thought. Without wishing to get too horribly medical about it, my mum and aunt have no common factors other than being sisters and developing breast cancer post-menopause. So I'm hoping that if I do have the gene it is in a form activated by the menopause so I have a few more years to decide. The idea is to have a few sprogs first then think about it if that's possible. Having surgery lessens the risk but doesn't remove it entirely....
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:57 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Yep, it's one of my options, although if I do have the gene I also have to consider having my ovaries removed too since the same gene can also cause ovarian cancer. Which is a pleasant thought. Without wishing to get too horribly medical about it, my mum and aunt have no common factors other than being sisters and developing breast cancer post-menopause. So I'm hoping that if I do have the gene it is in a form activated by the menopause so I have a few more years to decide. The idea is to have a few sprogs first then think about it if that's possible. Having surgery lessens the risk but doesn't remove it entirely....
Bundy,

1 friend of mine has been tested, Her mum, nan, 3 of her sisters and 2 cousins have passed away from Breast cancer so to be fair she was pretty much up there with the chances of having the gene, She went for the Double masectomy (sp) and kept the ovaries as although the gene can also affect the ovaries no one in her family had ovarian cancer.
another friend of mines mum and aunt had both had terminal breast cancer and she had the test, I can vouch for the fact that she was like her mum in every way, she tested negative.

I think you have had your fair share of bad luck so dont think too much on the negatives of having the test, it may well be that it will put your mind at rest rather than having to make decissions on kids, surgery etc etc.

Good luck to you and your mum
Kala xx
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:10 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Bundy,

1 friend of mine has been tested, Her mum, nan, 3 of her sisters and 2 cousins have passed away from Breast cancer so to be fair she was pretty much up there with the chances of having the gene, She went for the Double masectomy (sp) and kept the ovaries as although the gene can also affect the ovaries no one in her family had ovarian cancer.
another friend of mines mum and aunt had both had terminal breast cancer and she had the test, I can vouch for the fact that she was like her mum in every way, she tested negative.

I think you have had your fair share of bad luck so dont think too much on the negatives of having the test, it may well be that it will put your mind at rest rather than having to make decissions on kids, surgery etc etc.

Good luck to you and your mum
Kala xx
Thanks Kala, and sorry to hear about your friends, especially the first. How people cope with so much is beyond me and it makes me realise how lucky I am.

I have to admit to being terrified, but it's a double-edged sword: if I have the gene, inherited through my mum's side, then I also have the strength and courage to deal with whatever happens just as my mum and aunt are doing. I think the thing that scares me most is that neither mum or my aunt had a lump - mum's was picked up once it had spread and was causing other symptoms, my aunt's was found during a routine mammogram. So sending me away and telling me to check for lumps for the next few decades really isn't much of a solution. I'm a bit young for mammograms to be effective and so I'm scared of having something I can't find until it's too late. It's a hard thing to have hanging over you, that's for sure.

But I also know that I have to keep positive, that at least I'll know to be on the look out and that the medical profession will be keeping an eye on me. I may not have the gene anyway, and there's no history of ovarian cancer in the family at the moment. So what if they have to lop of my boobs - they were never that big and impressive to start with so I could end up with something better! I can't live my life being terrified, so as soon as I know where I stand, I'll just have to get on with it, now more than ever. I've got some wonderful people in my life to support me whatever happens and I keep reminding myself that I'm only 27!!!!! I'll get myself back on track soon enough and if the Bundies don't start getting some good luck soon I'm going to be having serious words with every power-that-is because this is getting way beyond a joke.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bundy
Really sorry to hear your news and the latest about your aunt, gene testing and everything. Regarding the gene testing, go for it, who knows what some of us are carrying around with us...(eek, don't mean to worry anyone though!) at least you will be screened regularly and will know what you're up against if you have it. It will be a real relief if you get the all clear and I doubt you'll have cause to worry about it again then?
Regarding the resignation, just do it when you're good and ready, don't act under pressure unless you're really sure.
Hope Bundy dad is coping alright and love to Bundy mum
ATB
Larissa
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:14 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Thanks Kala, and sorry to hear about your friends, especially the first. How people cope with so much is beyond me and it makes me realise how lucky I am.

I have to admit to being terrified, but it's a double-edged sword: if I have the gene, inherited through my mum's side, then I also have the strength and courage to deal with whatever happens just as my mum and aunt are doing. I think the thing that scares me most is that neither mum or my aunt had a lump - mum's was picked up once it had spread and was causing other symptoms, my aunt's was found during a routine mammogram. So sending me away and telling me to check for lumps for the next few decades really isn't much of a solution. I'm a bit young for mammograms to be effective and so I'm scared of having something I can't find until it's too late. It's a hard thing to have hanging over you, that's for sure.

But I also know that I have to keep positive, that at least I'll know to be on the look out and that the medical profession will be keeping an eye on me. I may not have the gene anyway, and there's no history of ovarian cancer in the family at the moment. So what if they have to lop of my boobs - they were never that big and impressive to start with so I could end up with something better! I can't live my life being terrified, so as soon as I know where I stand, I'll just have to get on with it, now more than ever. I've got some wonderful people in my life to support me whatever happens and I keep reminding myself that I'm only 27!!!!! I'll get myself back on track soon enough and if the Bundies don't start getting some good luck soon I'm going to be having serious words with every power-that-is because this is getting way beyond a joke.

Yeah my mates new boobs look great, they even made her eat loads of food in the months running up to the opp so she had enough extra skin etc round her belly so not only do you get new boobs you also get a tummy tuck.

good luck and big hug

Kala
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:21 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Yeah my mates new boobs look great, they even made her eat loads of food in the months running up to the opp so she had enough extra skin etc round her belly so not only do you get new boobs you also get a tummy tuck.

good luck and big hug

Kala

....see, in every negative lies a positive
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

....see, in every negative lies a positive

Thats the Bundy we know.... keep it up !!

SD
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:53 am
She's a bird, you know

I'VE JUST RESIGNED!!!!!!

Yep, just handed in my notice for the first time in my life, on the only job I've had since graduating and I'm over the bloody moon! (but also weeing my pants cos it's a bit scary).

Onwards and upwards for Bundy
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'VE JUST RESIGNED!!!!!!

Yep, just handed in my notice for the first time in my life, on the only job I've had since graduating and I'm over the bloody moon! (but also weeing my pants cos it's a bit scary).

Well done girl. Hope snotty boss was suitably upset and didn't want to see you go To infinity and beyond
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:56 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'VE JUST RESIGNED!!!!!!

OMG! This is spooky, I was just about to look up this thread to ask you, because I realised it's friday afternoon!

Oooohhhhh wooooowwww! Congrats I guess!

So does your boss know yet?!!!!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:59 am
She's a bird, you know

Yep, the boss knows. She said, and I quote, 'oh sh*t, now I'll have to rearrange my holiday'. See, this is why I'm leaving. No, 'thank you for the last 5 years, you've been a model employee (which, of course, I have ), you're doing the right thing, I hope it all works out for you'. Nope, none of that, just concern about her holiday.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:01 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the boss knows. She said, and I quote, 'oh sh*t, now I'll have to rearrange my holiday'. See, this is why I'm leaving. No, 'thank you for the last 5 years, you've been a model employee (which, of course, I have ), you're doing the right thing, I hope it all works out for you'. Nope, none of that, just concern about her holiday.
One less stress out of the way.

Well done! Don't worry, we'll all have a whipround to keep you in the manner you have become accustomed to.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:05 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by Covenant
One less stress out of the way.

Well done! Don't worry, we'll all have a whipround to keep you in the manner you have become accustomed to.

Thanks - I might need it when I'm penniless on the streets of Leeds. Did I mention that I can be hired for weddings and bar mitzvahs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.