Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

World Club Champions!!!!

World Club Champions!!!!

Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:11 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default World Club Champions!!!!

Just had to show my appreciation to Leeds Rhinos.
What a game!!! I used to live only 2 miles from where they played.
I think the neighbours heard me shouting over here in Birkdale.
Daz
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:13 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Club Champions!!!!

If only LUFC could mirror that in the Footie league.............

But great result all the same.

Originally Posted by leannefr
Daz
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:28 am
PommieLeague

Daz
Watched the game on Fox Sports this morning, Rhinos played well until just after 2nd half then they fell asleep but came back and held well with that field goal!

Now wait till you come to The Willows

Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:53 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Watched the game on Fox Sports this morning, Rhinos played well until just after 2nd half then they fell asleep but came back and held well with that field goal!

Now wait till you come to The Willows

I wondered how long it would be until you got here

Seriously though, I caught the end of the second half on channel 9 and was just wondering if anybody else thought that the post match review by those 3 aussies was quite laughable. The first chap, clearly the host of the show was very downbeat, understandably. The second chap was a middle aged ex rugby leage playing baldy guy who, to his credit was the only one of the guys half congratulating the winners. The third guy was this smarmy bigoted suited up aussie, who said that Leeds didn't deserve to win because the match was biased toward them, and indicated that if the match had been played at a neutral venue, canterbury would have won by 40 points and if it was played in australia they would have won by 60!! He then went onto make other poor excuses such as canterbury having too many injures and not taking the game seriously because they were only playing some second rate english side and are really concentrating on the NRL season start!! With this, the original guy rounded off the show by saying that the bulldogs outscored leeds in the second half (he made a heavy emphasis on this point) and then went on to replay all of the canterbury tries throughout the game, some of them several times, with not a mention that leeds had actually been the better team and had managed to score more points after all!! All they showed of the leeds lot was about 2 1/2 seconds of the team huddled found the trophy and then a few shots of the crowd!! Now I'm in no way an avid RL fan as people such as thydey and laithlan know but, as with most expats over here I do have a vested interest in any sporting event between our two countries of teams therein. This post match coverage was the most biased, obstinate, laiughable sports coverage I have ever seen!! If they hadn't had shown those few seconds of leeds with the trophy, people watching just the post match comment could have easily come away wondering who had won, or even believe that leeds had actually lost!! Unbelievable!!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:45 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by NJJ
I wondered how long it would be until you got here

Seriously though, I caught the end of the second half on channel 9 and was just wondering if anybody else thought that the post match review by those 3 aussies was quite laughable. The first chap, clearly the host of the show was very downbeat, understandably. The second chap was a middle aged ex rugby leage playing baldy guy who, to his credit was the only one of the guys half congratulating the winners. The third guy was this smarmy bigoted suited up aussie, who said that Leeds didn't deserve to win because the match was biased toward them, and indicated that if the match had been played at a neutral venue, canterbury would have won by 40 points and if it was played in australia they would have won by 60!! He then went onto make other poor excuses such as canterbury having too many injures and not taking the game seriously because they were only playing some second rate english side and are really concentrating on the NRL season start!! With this, the original guy rounded off the show by saying that the bulldogs outscored leeds in the second half (he made a heavy emphasis on this point) and then went on to replay all of the canterbury tries throughout the game, some of them several times, with not a mention that leeds had actually been the better team and had managed to score more points after all!! All they showed of the leeds lot was about 2 1/2 seconds of the team huddled found the trophy and then a few shots of the crowd!! Now I'm in no way an avid RL fan as people such as thydey and laithlan know but, as with most expats over here I do have a vested interest in any sporting event between our two countries of teams therein. This post match coverage was the most biased, obstinate, laiughable sports coverage I have ever seen!! If they hadn't had shown those few seconds of leeds with the trophy, people watching just the post match comment could have easily come away wondering who had won, or even believe that leeds had actually lost!! Unbelievable!!
That, NJJ is an average typical losing whinging aussie mentality my friend. Get used to it, you'll hear it often when we start wining sports ahead of them. They hate losing.

Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

That, NJJ is an average typical losing whinging aussie mentality my friend. Get used to it, you'll hear it often when we start wining sports ahead of them. They hate losing.
lol and they call us whinging poms
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:46 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
lol and they call us whinging poms

they certainly dont like losing..
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:02 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Daz
Was great to be there with the other 37,000. A great win and achievement even if the Doggies did make it a nervy last 10 minutes or so. As my mate said to me, I can now leave the UK knowing that I support the world's best RL club side. Kylie Minogue, Rolf Harris, Dame Edna Everage, Jason Donovan, Shane Warne, Germaine Greer - your boys took one hell of a beating!

Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

they certainly dont like losing..
lol they dont lose!!! it probably never happened then
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:44 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

[QUOTE=Carl B]Was great to be there with the other 37,000. A great win and achievement even if the Doggies did make it a nervy last 10 minutes or so. As my mate said to me, I can now leave the UK knowing that I support the world's best RL club side. Kylie Minogue, Rolf Harris, Dame Edna Everage, Jason Donovan, Shane Warne, Germaine Greer - your boys took one hell of a beating!

Wish i could have been there,.
Lots of my friends were there and i kept getting texts.My local pub i used to go to in Dewsbury(The Crown) a lot of players went there after some games, and there are shirts on the walls all signed by various players and even one from last year when Bradford beat the Panthers, its a half bradford and half panthers shirt.
I proudly wore my rhinos top walking around the shopping centres on saturday with quite a lot of strange looks.
Proud to be yorkshire.
\Daz
Old Feb 6th 2005, 12:20 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard it all before off them, it's just that the RL mob seem to be worse losers than other sports. I remember that any aussie I spoke to when we beat them in the ICC trophy last year would change the subject as soon as I mentioned it at the time.. Ask any aussies now the last time England beat them at cricket and they would probably say ten years ago or even longer, even though we beat them by six wickets in the ODI just over four months ago..
Old Feb 6th 2005, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NJJ
I have heard it all before off them, it's just that the RL mob seem to be worse losers than other sports. I remember that any aussie I spoke to when we beat them in the ICC trophy last year would change the subject as soon as I mentioned it at the time.. Ask any aussies now the last time England beat them at cricket and they would probably say ten years ago or even longer, even though we beat them by six wickets in the ODI just over four months ago..
Like I said earlier if they lose they go into denial - it never happened!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2005, 1:06 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
Like I said earlier if they lose they go into denial - it never happened!!!!
In today's Sunday Mail, they are blaming Jet Lag for the lose.. made me laugh out loud...
Old Feb 6th 2005, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

I saw the match reported on Seven News. The opening few clips were of Cantebury putting in some big hits in on the Leeds players, the voiceover saying something along the lines of "Bulldogs di"sh it out to the Poms". And then it mentioned, in passing, that Leeds actually won. This is Aussie sports news management at its best - "we beat up the English - but lose the game...moving right along now..."

Still my all time favourite was the report that Phillopousos had "narrowly failed to win Wimbledon". He was beaten in straight sets.

Did Ellis play for the Rhinos? He'll do well for your lot.....
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:06 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Gareth W
I saw the match reported on Seven News. The opening few clips were of Cantebury putting in some big hits in on the Leeds players, the voiceover saying something along the lines of "Bulldogs di"sh it out to the Poms". And then it mentioned, in passing, that Leeds actually won. This is Aussie sports news management at its best - "we beat up the English - but lose the game...moving right along now..."

Still my all time favourite was the report that Phillopousos had "narrowly failed to win Wimbledon". He was beaten in straight sets.

Did Ellis play for the Rhinos? He'll do well for your lot.....
Australian pride eh?
The Bulldogs were going on before the game that they saw this match as a warm up to NRL and NRL was what they were focused on despite the season not starting yet for over a month!

The Aussie domination of sport wont last, you can bet on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.