Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working whilst on a 457IE visa

working whilst on a 457IE visa

Old Sep 28th 2002, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

bleggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working whilst on a 457IE visa

Is anybody aware of the rules as to whether it is possible to be employed with a 457IE visa?

The question really relates to a hypothetical situation that say a business is set up and in the early days a second job needs to be taken to supplement income. Is a source of employment allowed within the rules of the visa.

Cheers
Old Sep 28th 2002, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

dm543 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working whilst on a 457IE visa

Originally posted by bleggy:
Is anybody aware of the rules as to whether it is possible to be employed with a 457IE visa?

The question really relates to a hypothetical situation that say a business is set up and in the early days a second job needs to be taken to supplement income. Is a source of employment allowed within the rules of the visa.

Cheers
Thats an interesting question. I don't know the answer for sure myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "no"

The Australian Immigration authority grants people a 457ie visa for the purpose of setting up a new business in Australia, and to be granted this visa you need to show that you will be able to financially support yourself and the business. This is probably why they want you to prove you have a net worth of at least $250,000 AUD
Old Sep 28th 2002, 11:56 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

In brief: proceed on the basis that you cannot work for an employer as the holder of a 457-IE visa.

Best regards.

Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2002, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

aliceJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Hiya,

We've been advised that the main applicant will not be able to work anywhere outside the business, but that the spouse can and will get a temp work permit. I've heard this several times, including from a state government official.
Old Sep 30th 2002, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Jonothan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by aliceJ:

Hiya,

We've been advised that the main applicant will not be able to work anywhere outside the business, but that the spouse can and will get a temp work permit. I've heard this several times, including from a state government official.
Agreed - the spouse of a visa holder can work, unsure of the rights of the holder itself - best takes Alan's advice on that.