Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working visa tips,info please

working visa tips,info please

Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default working visa tips,info please

planning on going to oz on a working holiday visa in jan 04 have already plenty of usefull info and tips etc but wanted to ask anyone out there what they could maybe add i might not know or might be usefull to have or know before i go.

also i had hoped to move and live there one day but as i found my trade is not a trade in oz what are my chances in getting sponsor in my line of work or anything else that could get me a visa to live there or am i just wasting my time and just enjoy the 12 months i get there.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:43 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working visa tips,info please

Originally posted by brian.w
planning on going to oz on a working holiday visa in jan 04 have already plenty of usefull info and tips etc but wanted to ask anyone out there what they could maybe add i might not know or might be usefull to have or know before i go.

also i had hoped to move and live there one day but as i found my trade is not a trade in oz what are my chances in getting sponsor in my line of work or anything else that could get me a visa to live there or am i just wasting my time and just enjoy the 12 months i get there.
Hi Brian,

What's your line of work or trade? (You missed that out!)
Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

pipe fitter
Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:53 pm
Don
Banned

pipe fitter
Hang on - pipe fitter might not be on the list but there must be some closely related trades you could train up in (maybe also in Aus on a WHV? Just an idea) - seem to remember someone posting here who did exactly that. Isn't pipe fitting reasonably similar to the various plumber skilled professions which score 60 points? Could you train up or am I being a total wombat???
Old Jul 29th 2003, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

i was thinking the same thing maybe train up on something or get something that will help me get the tra assessment.

i know what you mean plumbers etc but i have asked several agents etc and plumbers would not work as its not baths,sinks etc i fit i work more in oil/gas oil rigs and sites.

im sure i will find a way
Old Jul 29th 2003, 9:02 pm
Don
Banned

Surely the first thing is just to get your foot in the door and if you could train up quickly, will you care if you're not doing the same job 3 months later provided you get PR?
Old Jul 29th 2003, 9:13 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

i was thinking the same thing maybe train up on something or get something that will help me get the tra assessment.

i know what you mean plumbers etc but i have asked several agents etc and plumbers would not work as its not baths,sinks etc i fit i work more in oil/gas oil rigs and sites.

im sure i will find a way
We have a navy trained pipefitter on our books he's employed as a plumber but as he's not corgi regd he only does the leaks and bathroom refits. He's currently studying for his gas cert so if your evenings are free enroll for a nightclass and use your corgi/acops whatever it is as part of your tra application.
Sean
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working visa tips,info please

Another poster alluded to it. Make sure you don't work for the same employer for more than 3 months on a WHV. If they catch you you're out and may not be able to come back.