Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working for UK Company in Australia

Working for UK Company in Australia

Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working for UK Company in Australia

Hi All

It's late, forgive me for spelling and rambling....but here goes.

Does anyone live in Australia but work for or contract from a UK based company?

The reason is I may have some work with my old company who are in the UK and are looking to break into the Australian market. If I end up working for them I am wondering what is the best way to go about this. Initially they are suggesting commision based pay on sales results, if we go down this route I will be laying out finances and so wonder if I need to set up my own business?

Wondering what others have done and interested in your experiences. I am her on a PR visa.

It is early days so I am using you guys as a sounding board, obviously I will seek paid professional advice if it should progress positively.

Thanks in advance.

Nikki
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:19 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for UK Company in Australia

If you are investing your own time for no immediate financial reward I'd be asking for an equity interest in the Australian business should it be considered to be viable. That commitment should be in writing and enforceable if needs be.

Either that or the UK company pays you for the time you are putting in now on an hourly rate basis.

Why should you invest your time for no reward?!

Best regards.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
If you are investing your own time for no immediate financial reward I'd be asking for an equity interest in the Australian business should it be considered to be viable. That commitment should be in writing and enforceable if needs be.

Either that or the UK company pays you for the time you are putting in now on an hourly rate basis.

Why should you invest your time for no reward?!

Best regards.
Have pm'd you!

Thanks Alan
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:36 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi All

It's late, forgive me for spelling and rambling....but here goes.

Does anyone live in Australia but work for or contract from a UK based company?

The reason is I may have some work with my old company who are in the UK and are looking to break into the Australian market. If I end up working for them I am wondering what is the best way to go about this. Initially they are suggesting commision based pay on sales results, if we go down this route I will be laying out finances and so wonder if I need to set up my own business?

Wondering what others have done and interested in your experiences. I am her on a PR visa.

It is early days so I am using you guys as a sounding board, obviously I will seek paid professional advice if it should progress positively.

Thanks in advance.

Nikki
Nikki
I do that sort of thing for overseas Companies. Ireland, US and Italy.
I "invoice" them my commission value.
I set up my own Company to do this (under my wife's name as I have a full-time job).
At the end of the tax year, all my running costs for the Company are taken into consideration (car, computer, phone, utilities etc). If your Company turns over $50k, you have to register for GST even though you don't charge it to your customers as they are overseas. Plus you will have to do quarterly returns rather than annual.

Andrew
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys, have only just heard back from from the UK and I have another question.....

They are still having meetings regarding how they are going to operate things here, but have asked me to go ahead with some research ideas I said I had....I don't feel happy doing this yet, I would have to mention the name of the company to people here and if they contacted the UK company direct, I have no contract in place as their rep for Australia, also I would be doing this with no agreement in place regards money or position.

My instinct tells me to hang fire until they have made me an offer. I would feel foolish contacting people here saying I cannot mention who I am working for!

Any advice??

Nikki