British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Working for a UK Company, Advice Needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/working-uk-company-advice-needed-910100/)

Captin_RedBeard Mar 7th 2018 9:49 am

Working for a UK Company, Advice Needed

Hello Everyone,

Excited to be joining the Expat Community!

I am a UK resident who is looking to go out to Australia around October time. A couple of friends are going ahead of me and will be looking to find work and accommodation.

I am a consultant with a UK based company (I own) being paid in Sterling by another UK based company.

I wondered if I could get some advice, or where the best place to ask would be in terms of tax, legality, visas, banking? Can I just go as a tourist and pay myself as I am currently?

I am planning on staying less than a year at this stage and all my work can be done remotely (as long as I face a few night shifts).

Thank you kindly!
Dave

Dorothy Mar 7th 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Working for a UK Company, Advice Needed

You need to start at www.immi.gov.au to see if you qualify for a visa. Without one of those everything else is moot.

Captin_RedBeard Mar 8th 2018 9:01 am

Thanks for the link Dorothy, which one?

I would plan on staying longer than a holiday Visa, but im not working for an AUS company, is it simply that there are no Visa for that and if you want to stay over 3 months you need to get a local job?

BritInParis Mar 8th 2018 9:19 am

Are these friends of yours going on a working holiday visa?

Dorothy Mar 8th 2018 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Captin_RedBeard (Post 12458491)
Thanks for the link Dorothy, which one?

I would plan on staying longer than a holiday Visa, but im not working for an AUS company, is it simply that there are no Visa for that and if you want to stay over 3 months you need to get a local job?

Do you have a skill on any of the lists? If not then a skilled visa is out of the question. Are you under 31? If so then a working holiday visa may be what you're looking for. Are you married/defacto with an Australian citizen or permanent resident? If so then a spouse/partner visa would be the one.

It's not up to us to do your research for you. Read the link, put your details into the visa wizard and see what it comes up with. Once you find something that you may qualify for then you can dig a bit deeper into what you need to do to qualify. If you are not able to figure something out you may want to have a one time consultation with a MARA registered migration agent. Many will do a free first time consultation.

Captin_RedBeard Mar 13th 2018 11:19 am

Hi BritinParis,

Yeah they will both be on working visas for the year.

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks for the advice, I'll start digging!

M0zza Mar 14th 2018 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Captin_RedBeard (Post 12461594)
Hi BritinParis,

Yeah they will both be on working visas for the year.

Hi Dorothy,

Thanks for the advice, I'll start digging!

Working holiday visa? Not a working visa, that could mean anything..

Could you get a working holiday visa? It would be the easy solution for you if so.

Tr1boy Mar 15th 2018 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12458609)
It's not up to us to do your research for you.

Did you miss the part where the OP states they are a consultant? :lol: