Reload this Page >

Working as a TA electrician in QLD

Working as a TA electrician in QLD

Old Feb 17th 2015, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Jay Sparks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as a TA electrician in QLD

Hi All,

I am just wondering how hard it is to find a job as a TA electrician in QLD?

Basically, I have started my Skilled visa process. We are hoping to move to QLD, Gold Coast to be exact. Now I know I still have to apply for my OTR, (I think that's what it's called??) but what happens after that?

I believe I will need to attend college (TAFE) and complete a log book/portfolio to get my 'A' licence but how hard is it to find a company willing to let me do this?

What obstacles/difficulties have people found, when finding work as a TA electrician in QLD?

I ask because I hear there's a cost but if I am working as a TA, then it won't be a problem.

I have read some other threads on the process but these seem to be from 2006. I was hoping someone might have some up to date info for me?

Do electrical companies readily employ TA's, or are they looked down on?

Cheers

Jay
Old Feb 18th 2015, 2:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a TA electrician in QLD

Originally Posted by Jay Sparks
Hi All,

I am just wondering how hard it is to find a job as a TA electrician in QLD?

Basically, I have started my Skilled visa process. We are hoping to move to QLD, Gold Coast to be exact. Now I know I still have to apply for my OTR, (I think that's what it's called??) but what happens after that?

I believe I will need to attend college (TAFE) and complete a log book/portfolio to get my 'A' licence but how hard is it to find a company willing to let me do this?

What obstacles/difficulties have people found, when finding work as a TA electrician in QLD?

I ask because I hear there's a cost but if I am working as a TA, then it won't be a problem.

I have read some other threads on the process but these seem to be from 2006. I was hoping someone might have some up to date info for me?

Do electrical companies readily employ TA's, or are they looked down on?

Cheers

Jay
Hi Jay - you'll get an OTSR which you can use to get your supervised workers license.

Look for work as an electrician - it's what you'll need as evidence anyway. Try employers directly - as long as you are not the only spark on a job you whould be right.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Open to correction. But think its still possible to get your South Australian license in Adelaide, then convert it in Qld(2009 $68). Its more involved than when I did it in 2009. But my Supervisor has a friend going that route. Budget a couple of thousand dollars, but its far easier than jumping through hoops in Qld. Look for `Peer Veet`in Adelaide online. I was told you need to do a weeks training there(I did one day refresher after studying 2 weeks on their test paper book and exam/license next day). Then an exam. Basically how to find your way through the regs book. I had little luck as a sparky. Fortunately had instro background and landed on my feet. The jobs may be here without a license but I got no joy. Good luck. For me it was a good move.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 7:04 am
Just Joined

This is for both posts. 😆
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:07 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
Open to correction. But think its still possible to get your South Australian license in Adelaide, then convert it in Qld(2009 $68). Its more involved than when I did it in 2009. But my Supervisor has a friend going that route. Budget a couple of thousand dollars, but its far easier than jumping through hoops in Qld. Look for `Peer Veet`in Adelaide online. I was told you need to do a weeks training there(I did one day refresher after studying 2 weeks on their test paper book and exam/license next day). Then an exam. Basically how to find your way through the regs book. I had little luck as a sparky. Fortunately had instro background and landed on my feet. The jobs may be here without a license but I got no joy. Good luck. For me it was a good move.
There is no quick route with an OTSR. Even with Peer, 2 weeks of gap training and minimum of 3 months supervised work to get signed off for cert III and full license!
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There is no quick route with an OTSR. Even with Peer, 2 weeks of gap training and minimum of 3 months supervised work to get signed off for cert III and full license!
I don't know if I will/can go this route but 3 months is fairly quick!lol
Especially when it takes a 4 year apprenticeship in the UK to become fully qualified.lol

I would be happy if I could come to Oz with my OTSR, get a job as a TA/supervised electrician electrician in QLD, then put the work and effort in to gain my full licence within 3 to 6 months. It will be well worth it for my family and myself!

Jay
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jay Sparks
I don't know if I will/can go this route but 3 months is fairly quick!lol
Especially when it takes a 4 year apprenticeship in the UK to become fully qualified.lol

I would be happy if I could come to Oz with my OTSR, get a job as a TA/supervised electrician electrician in QLD, then put the work and effort in to gain my full licence within 3 to 6 months. It will be well worth it for my family and myself!

Jay
Apprentices here do do 4 years - this route is for overseas qualified sparks.

If you gain a cert III this way, you can apply for a QLD license by mutual recognition after gaining the SA license. Finding someone to give you the start may be an issue, and the interview process is not always the quickest with some companies
Old Feb 18th 2015, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Apprentices here do do 4 years - this route is for overseas qualified sparks.

If you gain a cert III this way, you can apply for a QLD license by mutual recognition after gaining the SA license. Finding someone to give you the start may be an issue, and the interview process is not always the quickest with some companies
This is my biggest worry. I could go through this long process and not even get a job when I move over. I might have to get a job in a bar.lol.

But, work is work!

Jay