Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working rights on a temp spouse visa?

working rights on a temp spouse visa?

Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

struth is on a distinguished road
Default working rights on a temp spouse visa?

can anybody help please.

we have been in australia for approx 6 weeks and i thought it high time i got off my behind and got some work. i picked up an application from Woolies but one of the questions is are you legally allowed to work in australia?

options yes - hold a current australian citizenship
yes - hold a current australian permanent residency
yes - hold a current australian student/working visa

as i hold none of these am i legally entitled to work?

any advice would be greatfully received.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working rights on a temp spouse visa?

Originally Posted by struth
can anybody help please.

we have been in australia for approx 6 weeks and i thought it high time i got off my behind and got some work. i picked up an application from Woolies but one of the questions is are you legally allowed to work in australia?

Yes you are legally entitled to work. Just tick the current Australian working visa box.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

struth is on a distinguished road

cheers Wendy,

i was getting a bit concerned, although i love being off work, financially its not a long term viable solution.

suppose i had better fill in the application form now
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:48 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you're allowed to work. It's just that some places (eg Gov't jobs) won't let you have a permanent contract, only temporary. Ask Pollyana about that....
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by struth
can anybody help please.

Just fill in the form to say you have Australian residency - if they ask you about it, make sure that you say you are on a spouse visa, which although temporary at the start, becomes permanent as long as you stay in the relationship! Mentioning that you're in a relationship with/married to an Aussie helps to show that you are putting roots down here.
What they are really worried about is people having to leave Australia after only a few months.
Some jobs - like Qld State Govt will only employ you on a temporary basis until you have PR, but it is feasible to keep renewing your contract every few months - I was temporary with them for 3 years before I got a permanent job after getting PR.

MAin thing to remember is - if asked, stress that there are NO workign restrictions on that visa.

Good luck!