Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working as a recent graduate

Working as a recent graduate

Old Dec 19th 2011, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

a2dg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as a recent graduate

Hi all, this is my situation. I graduated from a joint honors degree in Economics and Sociology last september, and have spent the last few months saving and considering my options etc.

I want to emigrate to australia , to ensure the best chance possible of securing P.R. I am going to complete a masters course before emigrating . I have narrowed the masters choices down to "environmental , health and safety" or "Information systems for business performance" , two very different career choices but I have a interested in both sectors.

The "E.H.S" MSC will qualify me as an environmental officer/safety officer , I have seen from the skills lists that both these occupations are in demand in oz . But what is the likelihood being able to secure employment in these fields as a fresh graduate (with 3 months work experience)? I have seen advertisements but most stipulate years of work experience havent really seen any for junior positions ...

The second masters option (I.S.B.P) is the more convenient choice cost/distance wise, but I don't know if that skill set is high in demand in Australia...

Any info would be great, the course and living cost for the year are going to be expensive and I dont want to incur this cost unless it seriously helps my employability/ chances of P.R. in Australia .
Old Dec 19th 2011, 2:30 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a recent graduate

Right. This is a long play, so this is just to get the priorities straight. It is certainly possible to immigrate as a fresh graduate, but chances of that are really not great. Unless you charm someone out enough for them to sponsor you for a visa (temp or perm - it is an involved process either way plus as you say they do not really advertise for junior positions), your other option is independent skilled PR visa, but in order to get started on it you'd have to have at least one year of experience in your field.

So realistically, you won't be able to apply for the next three plus years, considering the course itself. It is kind of hard to predict what the visa program is going to be like in the next fiscal, let alone in three years time, so your big question as to what to study becomes even more difficult to answer.

Did you consider studying in Australia as an alternative? If nothing else, it will get you closer to employers and it will remove a 1 year work experience requirement for the skilled visa (you can substitute it for 2 year study), but it is again not a guarantee that future changes remove any of your chosen occupations off the list.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in Australia as a graduate

Securing a job isn't going to be your biggest hurdle. Securing a visa will be and I think it is unlikely you will qualify for any as a new graduate. I would recommend you put your plans on ice, get some experience in your own country and think again in a few years.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 7:09 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Working holiday visa and then apply for jobs/sponsorship over here? Studying over here would cost you a kidney and there would be no guarantee of a visa after the student one finishes. Otherwise I suspect it's the hard route of clocking up work experience before you apply to immigration.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello a2dg

Hello and welcome.

Where abouts did you study? This will have a bearing about if it's wise to study further or not.

Keel
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a2dg
Hi all, this is my situation. I graduated from a joint honors degree in Economics and Sociology last september, and have spent the last few months saving and considering my options etc.

I want to emigrate to australia , to ensure the best chance possible of securing P.R. I am going to complete a masters course before emigrating . I have narrowed the masters choices down to "environmental , health and safety" or "Information systems for business performance" , two very different career choices but I have a interested in both sectors.

The "E.H.S" MSC will qualify me as an environmental officer/safety officer , I have seen from the skills lists that both these occupations are in demand in oz . But what is the likelihood being able to secure employment in these fields as a fresh graduate (with 3 months work experience)? I have seen advertisements but most stipulate years of work experience havent really seen any for junior positions ...

The second masters option (I.S.B.P) is the more convenient choice cost/distance wise, but I don't know if that skill set is high in demand in Australia...

Any info would be great, the course and living cost for the year are going to be expensive and I dont want to incur this cost unless it seriously helps my employability/ chances of P.R. in Australia .
Why don't you get your Masters (In Evironmental, Health etc) as I reckon that will stay on the list, come out on a working toursit Visa, get a job in that area, or do work experience one day a week, and get someone to sponsor you? If they like you, I am sure they will be happy to sponsor you.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Why don't you get your Masters (In Evironmental, Health etc) as I reckon that will stay on the list, come out on a working toursit Visa, get a job in that area, or do work experience one day a week, and get someone to sponsor you? If they like you, I am sure they will be happy to sponsor you.
They might be happy to sponsor, unfortunately a happy employer is not part of the sponsorship criteria. The candidate must demonstrate that they have skills and experience in the job position being offered and it could be difficult for a new graduate to do this.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

a2dg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, thanks for the replies.
I done my undergrad at the University of Limerick in Ireland.
Ideally what I would want to do is get my Msc in E&H.S and then go on the WHV, and gain sponsorship via that route, I want to escape the doom and gloom that has become daily life in Ireland. I understand that it is a gamble doing it this way and I don't want to find myself in the position of having to leave after 2 years and uproot my entire life again, but having said that I don't want to hang around gaining experience while getting older and the time frame for a WHV getting smaller.
From what I can make out an employer can sponsor a person if their occupation is on the skills list and they are paying the standard market rate for that occupation, I don't think there is a requirement of experience if you are a on-shore sponsored applicant( open to correction here?).
Again thanks for the info guys
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by a2dg
From what I can make out an employer can sponsor a person if their occupation is on the skills list and they are paying the standard market rate for that occupation, I don't think there is a requirement of experience if you are a on-shore sponsored applicant( open to correction here?).
Again thanks for the info guys
Well I thought I had already covered experience requirements, but correction is required. Being onshore / offshore makes no difference to the requirement for experience.

It is required and it could be a difficult thing for you to obtain as a new graduate on a WHV. Not an impossible path, but IMHO a very difficult one, getting even one years experience before you move would be advantageous.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's easy for us to forget how bad the situation is over there. Nephew just graduated with QS degree. Last I heard he is a part-time postie for the Xmas rush, although there is talk of him trying out for the Royal Mail's management programme. Fact is, not many jobs in UK and Ireland. Experience in UK/Ireland may not be an option for OP.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I think it's easy for us to forget how bad the situation is over there. Nephew just graduated with QS degree. Last I heard he is a part-time postie for the Xmas rush, although there is talk of him trying out for the Royal Mail's management programme. Fact is, not many jobs in UK and Ireland. Experience in UK/Ireland may not be an option for OP.
While that's sad, it is still a requirement of DIAC to have experience in an occupation to be sponsored.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Whether or not I or anyone else has forgotten how bad things are in Ireland, it is irrelevant to the work experience requirements for certain Australian visas.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Whether or not I or anyone else has forgotten how bad things are in Ireland, it is irrelevant to the work experience requirements for certain Australian visas.
He should forget the visa and come for the experience. Time is on his side. Beats sitting on his posterior in Ireland. Although, I understand p/t posties are in demand at this time of year.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

amomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really niceamomentofstillness is just really nice

Regarding experience, I'm a newly qualified mental health nurse from Scotland and I've been offered sponsorship with no post registration experience, however I start on a working holiday visa which will then be switched to a 457 visa. Not sure if that makes a difference

Best of luck anyway
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amomentofstillness
Regarding experience, I'm a newly qualified mental health nurse from Scotland and I've been offered sponsorship with no post registration experience, however I start on a working holiday visa which will then be switched to a 457 visa. Not sure if that makes a difference

Best of luck anyway
Nursing is not the same thing as a health and safety officer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.