British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   working oz permit looking for pluming/gas fitter info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/working-oz-permit-looking-pluming-gas-fitter-info-773487/)

bazzibear Oct 3rd 2012 12:24 pm

working oz permit looking for pluming/gas fitter info

Thank you for taking time to read this. Ive looked on this site before becoming a member. I have seen how many posts about plumbing & gas fitting in WA & how complicated it is.
And would like some help or advise.

Ive emailed their [email protected] & [email protected] asking if City & Guilds are recognised. Energy licensing said that they where. The plumbers commerce did not mention it but they both took me down the path, that i need to apply for a license.
I have a 1yrs working holiday visa with an opportunity to extend for another yr doing some form of hoducultrual work.
Ive been in the plumbing & gas industry for 10 years and did my apprenticeship in plumbing & am also fully qualified in gas with both at level 3 City & Guilds.
Im looking to go to Perth & just look at getting a job with a company or firm. Do i still need to get these licenses or are they just for setting up your own firm or to be a subcontractor.
It seems a mine field, is there anyone who is in Perth or WA that has done what im about to embark on or can advise me if the licensing is needed if just wanting to work in the domestic sector.

thanks

welshie1 Oct 4th 2012 11:56 am

Re: working oz permit looking for pluming/gas fitter info

Hi Bazzibear,
My OH was a gas fitter/plumber in the UK (same quals as you, previously worked for BG), we emigrated to Perth over a year ago...when we got here he got given the run around over licences etc, however now he's got both the gas licence (unrestricted so he can do servicing work) and his plumbers licence now. You need both of these to be qualified to work in both gas/plumbing here (for a firm..as far as I'm aware you'd also need a sub contractors licence before you can work on your own). It has been a NIGHTMARE, and very expensive to get these licences, and at the end of it there is very little work in Perth in both these areas...have a look at SEEK.com if you want to check out the local work available. Most jobs advertised are requiring at least 5 years WA experience, so even when you get the licences you will be struggling, as my husband is, to find work. He still has not been able to secure work, despite applying for several jobs over the last 6 months. I hate to sound negative, but the reality of the situation is you will have to spend out at least $3k in fees to get licences, you can't work til you've got them, and even when you have there's no work about!! Luckily I have managed to get a job otherwise we would have been on our way home by now! Good luck anyway, if I were you I'd seriously think about re-skilling in a different area, or there seems to be plenty of this type of work in other states if this is an option for you.
Cheers,
Welshie

denzil73 Oct 4th 2012 12:16 pm

Yes Oz immi may say your skill is needed but will not tell you that you will have to spend a few thousand on gaining your Oz equivalant tickets and live off your savings until you can work or someone takes you on whilst at TAFE.

Funny thing is that the UK and Oz training is so similar as almost all Oz supply authorities are based on UK principals. And hence most Oz tradies can work without re-qualifying in the UK. Bit unfair aye?

welshie1 Oct 4th 2012 2:51 pm

Too right...reckon the Tafe's make a fortune out of plumbers/gas fitters coming over here, then being bled dry (whilst not being able to make a carrot to support themselves or their families!) doing s*** courses to 'transfer' their uk qualifications and skills, when actually the Ozzies are miles behind UK in plumbing/gas practice! Then when they can't get work after 'qualifying' they are forced to return home, 1000's of $ out of pocket! It really is a disgraceful farce. He's not alone, on his recent 'migrant skills gap training' course (for overseas plumbers...another money spinner for Tafe's!) of the 10 lads on the course only 2 had work. Appalling situation, qualified people are being left destitute, scraping by to support their families in menial minimum wage jobs.I would seriously research job options before leaving stable, well paid employment in the uk to come to Perth to work potentially as a plumber or gas fitter..wouldn't waste your time or money, speaking from personal experience.

denzil73 Oct 5th 2012 5:06 am

Yea, not like the government of any country cares as it's making money for itself but it's a nice scam they have going by accepting your money for a visa and then when you get here finding out the hard way that your better qualification isn't accepted here.

I may have to spend $500+ on some stupid QLD engineers certificate as employers are so ****ing dumb they think that by having this useless bit of paper they are getting a good engineer. I refuse to get it as QLD legislation can go **** itself for it's so useless only my arse is good enough for wiping itself on these legislation papers.

hoofie2002 Oct 5th 2012 8:42 am

The quality of work from an-expat sparkie/plumber is distinctly better as well.

denzil73 Oct 5th 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 10314629)
The quality of work from an-expat sparkie/plumber is distinctly better as well.

Don't get me started on QLD tradies. I've never known such a bunch lazy, rip-off cowboys. And that's being nice!!! Always some exceptions but I've worked with enough to know they are in the minority.

bazzibear Oct 5th 2012 9:15 pm

Hey Thanks for the info, I must say some is controversial as I've looked on seek and their seems to be loads of opportunity for plumbers/gas fitters. I worn for BG myself but dose the grass look greener & I will never know if I don't give it a try. I'm single so don't have any dependents. But as for getting quals converted sounds a mission & I agree that the ozzy work ethic is some wot backward. I now in 2 minds as wot to do as ur advice is priceless as u have done/doing it. 3k is that £ or $?. I don't want all my savings gone its a waste of time. I was looking into working In the mineing sector there seems to be jobs going there. I'm flexable & have a go get it attitude & will move mountains to get to my goal but I can have about 7 month to give it ago & have my job held open in the uk if things don't work out. Is this realistic or shall I just go traveling & enjoy it for wot it is? I was considering doing a A/C course in the uk but this wud set me back a couple of k. Any how thanks for taking time to comment & read this.
Don't worry be happy 😃

denzil73 Oct 6th 2012 3:28 am

Originally Posted by bazzibear (Post 10315828)
Hey Thanks for the info, I must say some is controversial as I've looked on seek and their seems to be loads of opportunity for plumbers/gas fitters. I worn for BG myself but dose the grass look greener & I will never know if I don't give it a try. I'm single so don't have any dependents. But as for getting quals converted sounds a mission & I agree that the ozzy work ethic is some wot backward. I now in 2 minds as wot to do as ur advice is priceless as u have done/doing it. 3k is that £ or $?. I don't want all my savings gone its a waste of time. I was looking into working In the mineing sector there seems to be jobs going there. I'm flexable & have a go get it attitude & will move mountains to get to my goal but I can have about 7 month to give it ago & have my job held open in the uk if things don't work out. Is this realistic or shall I just go traveling & enjoy it for wot it is? I was considering doing a A/C course in the uk but this wud set me back a couple of k. Any how thanks for taking time to comment & read this.
Don't worry be happy 😃

There's always work in the mines depending on the skills they are looking for but beware as I've heard from many people who work in the mines that most jobs get given on a 'who you know basis' and not 'what you know'. The unions are also moaning big time about jobs being given to non-Aussies but the mining companies don't always care about that it's managers doing the employing that'll be the racist ones and you can never tell till the interview there :thumbdown:
It ain't easy but you may want to see if you can get a job offer b4 moving here.
As for TAFE best look at there website and send an email to ask on course costs and length of time. Prices would be in $ so at present a third more than what it'd cost in the UK, roughly.

AC here requires electrical so again check on what's required as this country is ticket mad and it's easier for a sparky to get his AC ticket than it is for a refridgerant trade to get AC ticket due to the elec side.

UK quals are generally better than Oz quals but they don't like that so make it hard for pommies.