Reload this Page >

Working in New Zealand

Wikiposts

Working in New Zealand

Old Oct 8th 2005, 10:15 am
JackBean

Default Working in New Zealand

Hi

I have a skilled migration visa to Australia.

Does this allow me to work in New Zealand? If not what do I need to do?

Old Oct 8th 2005, 11:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in New Zealand

Originally Posted by JackBean
Hi

I have a skilled migration visa to Australia.

Does this allow me to work in New Zealand? If not what do I need to do?

Short answer: It's usually not a good idea to even think about this until you have Australian citizenship.

Longer answer:

Australian PRs can in principle live and work in NZ. However:

1. You need to validate your Australian PR visa first.

2. The NZIS website is *not* clear about whether a migrant visa with a 5 year re-entry facility is counted as an Australian 'returning resident visa' which NZ does expect Australian PRs to have. Anecdotal evidence however is that any (validated) Australian permanent visa with a re-entry facility is acceptable to NZIS. Whether airlines accept it is unclear, which is important if your passport does not allow visa-free tourist entry to NZ.

3. Time spent in NZ may eventually count towards an NZ RRV or citizenship but does not count for an Australian RRV or citizenship. Whether an Australian PR living in NZ can eventually get an NZ RRV or citizenship should be confirmed with the NZ authorities. People have been left without status in both countries through not paying careful attention to the rules.

4. If you lose your Australian PR, then NZ PR gives you *no* rights to return to Australia. New Zealand citizenship will let you live in Australia, but no longer with PR rights. See http://www.nz-oz.gov.au

5. The New Zealand government has increased the residence period for NZ citizenship from three years to five (although those who applied for PR before 21 April 2005 as long as they apply within five years of the new law coming into force). The equivalent period for Australian citizenship remains at two years, although as of October 2005, there are proposals to increase this to three years. So if you'd like a blue passport asap, you'll have to wait longer in NZ.

6. It's entirely possible that the NZ government could abolish the rights of Australian PRs in NZ, and also do away with the NZ 'indefinite RRV'.

7. Some people prefer to get Australian citizenship first, and then think about whether they would like to live in NZ. In order to get Australian citizenship, you need to meet the residence rules and plan to stay living in Australia - however, it's ok if you change your mind after being sworn in as a citizen.

8. Australian citizens living in NZ are free under current laws to become NZ citizens upon meeting the normal residence requirements. Since April 2002, they do not lose Australian citizenship as a result. The NZ government could always restrict the residence rights of Australians in NZ, or their access to PR/citizenship rights, but there is no sign of this currently.

For information about New Zealand:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 8th 2005 at 11:17 am.