British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   working my plasma in oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/working-my-plasma-oz-486382/)

brian.w Oct 10th 2007 9:35 am

working my plasma in oz?

I have purchased a plasma samsung tv just a few months ago which is a pretty new model,now i was wondering apart from the plug which is different from the oz plugs i can work around this but what about working the tv there,im sure i read before this will work there is this right?or will have problems working it in oz,if i remember i think people said it was the sound bit and all i would need is a freeview box.
Or will as my tv is real new and modern this will not be an issue,if i still need a freeview if i buy one from the uk and take this with me will this work in oz,or maybe i have it wrong its maybe got to be played through a dvd player?its just i have the chance in getting a cheap freeview and might get one for it if required

snow-white Oct 10th 2007 9:44 am

Re: working my plasma in oz?

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 5407614)
I have purchased a plasma samsung tv just a few months ago which is a pretty new model,now i was wondering apart from the plug which is different from the oz plugs i can work around this but what about working the tv there,im sure i read before this will work there is this right?or will have problems working it in oz,if i remember i think people said it was the sound bit and all i would need is a freeview box.
Or will as my tv is real new and modern this will not be an issue,if i still need a freeview if i buy one from the uk and take this with me will this work in oz,or maybe i have it wrong its maybe got to be played through a dvd player?its just i have the chance in getting a cheap freeview and might get one for it if required

i believe if your samsung plasma has a tuner box it will work fine its only when they dont have one you need to invest in a freeview box to get the sound to work.is it a freeview box or a surround sound system box you need now you have me thinking
lesley

brian.w Oct 10th 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by snow-white (Post 5407651)
i believe if your samsung plasma has a tuner box it will work fine its only when they dont have one you need to invest in a freeview box to get the sound to work.is it a freeview box or a surround sound system box you need now you have me thinking
lesley

Well i had a look and its say its dvb is this freeview?i do also have a surround sound set up also,so is this dvb a freeview built in,i was thinking i also have an lg lcd tv if this does not have freeview maybe this box will come in handy or will it,again its a upto date new lcd tv,will a freeview box work in oz from uk?

wmoore Oct 10th 2007 10:49 am

DVB is 'Freeview' and this tuner may well not work here but you can pick up a basic digital tuner for $60 from Coles, or pay a couple of hundred if you want a high-def one.

brian.w Oct 10th 2007 10:56 am

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 5407931)
DVB is 'Freeview' and this tuner may well not work here but you can pick up a basic digital tuner for $60 from Coles, or pay a couple of hundred if you want a high-def one.

So i am best bying a freeview box then in oz,rather than one from uk as some are so cheap these days in the uk,i just thought a freeview box from uk worked in oz and solved the sound problems,no worries if one needs to be purchased from oz just wanted to know in advance as can get hold of a cheap one to take with me.

Possums Oct 10th 2007 10:58 am

funnily enough it was on the news today that they may ban Plasma TV's in Aus due to a proposed energy efficiency rating.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...10/2055587.htm

wmoore Oct 10th 2007 10:59 am

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 5407973)
So i am best bying a freeview box then in oz,rather than one from uk as some are so cheap these days in the uk,i just thought a freeview box from uk worked in oz and solved the sound problems,no worries if one needs to be purchased from oz just wanted to know in advance as can get hold of a cheap one to take with me.

Definitely buy one here. There are apparently some differences with DVB formats between the two countries. They're cheap enough here too.

wmoore Oct 10th 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Demeter (Post 5407985)
funnily enough it was on the news today that they may ban Plasma TV's in Aus due to a proposed energy efficiency rating.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...10/2055587.htm

Love that story. They may be banned 'by 2011', by which time the next big thing (laser) will have swept us off our feet.

Possums Oct 10th 2007 11:04 am

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 5408001)
Love that story. They may be banned 'by 2011', by which time the next big thing (laser) will have swept us off our feet.

Laser TV!!! by god we will be flying to the moon next :ohmy:

wmoore Oct 10th 2007 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Demeter (Post 5408017)
Laser TV!!! by god we will be flying to the moon next :ohmy:

I heard if you rub sticks together vigorously, some magic stuff appears that causes your skin to blister when you touch it.