Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WORKING IN THE MINES

WORKING IN THE MINES

Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Damnit! He's just missed the last round of expos. Keep an eye on this site and there should be more happening soon. The husband went to the GC one last year and whilst it didn't work out for him, loads of people appeared to be getting set up. He did get lots of info there though.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:04 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Damnit! He's just missed the last round of expos. Keep an eye on this site and there should be more happening soon. The husband went to the GC one last year and whilst it didn't work out for him, loads of people appeared to be getting set up. He did get lots of info there though.
Yep, we found about that this morning Looking at a website, maybe the one you mentioned - you can view seminars from the Sunshine Coast so I'll have another look at that when he gets home from work. He's really keen to get in there, just a matter of finding out how we go about it, looks like he needs to get in as a labourer or general hand.
Old May 20th 2012, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Update.

Daughter and her Boyfreind/fiancee have just vacated their Essendon Flat, and are saying good bye to their freinds and relations and are taking off on Tuesday across the Nullabour to try their hand in Perth.

Her Boyfriend has been given verbal approval for a job as a Electrician at the Argyle Diamond mine. Only on 125,000K per year though, which is a big drop in wages after his stint at the Wonthaggi Desal plant, from which he was made redundant 3 weeks back. He has to go through the WA system before he can look at the kind of wages he was getting here in Vic.

So despite having plenty of contacts and having plenty of Aus experience, My Daughter and her Boyfreind can only get a foot in the door job at this point. Apparently you have to be over in Perth to stand any chance of getting anything decent.

If he was working the Hours here at the Desal plant he is going to be working in Perth he would have been on well over 200k..... However as he says. You have to learn the ropes to get the rewards.

My Daughter doesnt have a job to go to as of yet, but will be taking on anything. Most likely a Truck Driving job....After she has done the relevant tickets. Which is a big change from her usual office admin, marketing jobs she has been used to in the past.

They are staying a a Aunts distant relations B&B as their starting point. So will keep you updated on how interstate Aussies fare in the WA Mining job market.
Old May 20th 2012, 7:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of good luck wishes to them Oz.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Loads of good luck wishes to them Oz.
Thanks MP.... I reckon Perth could suit my bling loving daughter.... even if they both think this is a fast track to house owning over here. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up staying there.

It feels like they've moved to a foreign country though. Which is weird. Not like her stints in Sydney or Brisbane at all.
Old May 20th 2012, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

rubberduck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving machines

From my experience of working with machine drivers everyday I can tell you that only guys who know what their doing are ever kept on, its very easy to drive a digger technically but actually performing the tasks, grading, deep excavations, batters etc etc takes years of exp to get very good at. Over the years ive come across guys who call themselves drivers yet before the 1st shift is over we know their lack of exp shows, so my advice to any one any where get plenty of work exp at your intended job before taking a punt and travelling halfway around the world.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:52 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Can I jump in too please My hubby has been talking about going to the mines for the last year or so, last night we started talking seriously. It's something he fancies doing but bearing in mind we have a 2yo, 4yo and 10yo although I would be happy to move, I wouldn't be happy to live remote, so a mining village is a bit out of the way for me I think. Ideally staying in QLD too. So, as all this is new to us I'm kind of figuring that because I want schools, hospital etc close by for our children we could move closer to mines as a family leaving him to FIFO? Not exactly happy where we live and was debating a change of location anyway so would make sense to be closer to where he works. Also, he is a 20yr time served labourer, no qualifications but within his job he does do carpentry, concreting etc as if qualified - one of those blokes that really can turn his hand to everything and is a damn hard worker. He does have tickets - fork lift, hoist, scissor lift, and has Occupational Health and Satefy allowing 2nd in charge - happy to work his way up from the bottom if needs be. Does anyone know anywhere in QLD that kind of fits what we're looking for?
sent ya a PM!
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If she isn't qualified with experience then she will be joining the back of a VERY long line for a truck driving role

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Update.

Daughter and her Boyfreind/fiancee have just vacated their Essendon Flat, and are saying good bye to their freinds and relations and are taking off on Tuesday across the Nullabour to try their hand in Perth.

Her Boyfriend has been given verbal approval for a job as a Electrician at the Argyle Diamond mine. Only on 125,000K per year though, which is a big drop in wages after his stint at the Wonthaggi Desal plant, from which he was made redundant 3 weeks back. He has to go through the WA system before he can look at the kind of wages he was getting here in Vic.

So despite having plenty of contacts and having plenty of Aus experience, My Daughter and her Boyfreind can only get a foot in the door job at this point. Apparently you have to be over in Perth to stand any chance of getting anything decent.

If he was working the Hours here at the Desal plant he is going to be working in Perth he would have been on well over 200k..... However as he says. You have to learn the ropes to get the rewards.

My Daughter doesnt have a job to go to as of yet, but will be taking on anything. Most likely a Truck Driving job....After she has done the relevant tickets. Which is a big change from her usual office admin, marketing jobs she has been used to in the past.

They are staying a a Aunts distant relations B&B as their starting point. So will keep you updated on how interstate Aussies fare in the WA Mining job market.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Update on my Aussie Daughter and her Electrician Fiancee.... She's just landed a job with the NBN in Perth in some kind of admin roll... starting on a relatively low income for her of 60K... Her Fiancee is working temp at a mining site for 1 month contract for 16k for a 13 hour day and only 1 day off PW.... I think I'd earn close to that If worked 27 days @ 13 hours per day straight. Free accom and food though.

Daughters checking out the situation about better wages and tickets to get for the mines... Her BF should be starting at Argyle next month.

They are renting a shared house in Freo @ 350 bucks per week.

Daughter had been working in temp roles until landing the job this week. Circa 28 bucks per hour for admin work.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 20th 2012 at 6:40 am.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Update on my Aussie Daughter and her Electrician Fiancee.... She's just landed a job with the NBN in Perth in some kind of admin roll... starting on a relatively low income for her of 60K... Her Fiancee is working temp at a mining site for 1 month contract for 16k for a 13 hour day and only 1 day off PW.... I think I'd earn close to that If worked 27 days @ 13 hours per day straight. Free accom and food though.

Daughters checking out the situation about better wages and tickets to get for the mines... Her BF should be starting at Argyle next month.

They are renting a shared house in Freo @ 350 bucks per week.

Daughter had been working in temp roles until landing the job this week. Circa 28 bucks per hour for admin work.
That's about $45-50/hr - not bad for a young sparky. The best mining jobs are for operational roles, not construction. Rio ops people do 9+5, or at worst 14+7 rotations, 10-12 hour days. Construction can be 4+1 or much worse, 12+ hours a day, although the candy is usually very good.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm really curious re the situation for interstate born and bred Aussies v Migrants. Whether the Aussies find it easer and quicker to establish themselves. Their pre move networking hasn't produced much thusfar.

I guess my Daughter may have found a FT job quicker and easier Just on 3 weeks I think.

Wonder if commuting from Freo will get to her ?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

GrannyLover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lee28
Havent read through whole thread but thought I would share my experience.

Came here on a student visa studied plastering. Worked for nearly 3yrs as a general labourer. Worked with a guy who was on his 3month unpaid leave for you know what , for 2 weeks. He phoned me up a few months later and said he wanted to hire me as he seen I was a hard worker.

I never had any experaince or tickets and I was FIFO from Perth to Orange in NSW on a fantastic wage (3k a week after tax) was there for a few months and then got made redundant.

Got a glowing reference from them and then got some tickets, the usual ones which arent expensive either if you look around.

Worked for a couple of companies now on short term contracts and just got a new job FIFO to numan.

It is possible to get a good job, but be aware the mines arent for everyone, you dont just rock up and they throw cash at you.

4 weeks away from your family, takeaway ur travel days and your home for 5 real days.

There are a few companies that I know of that will look at you if your coming over.

PS: I am on a bridging visa waiting for a 485 grad visa, seems to me if you work hard then someone will notice and help you out.
Wow. You sound like you have got it made Lee. 4 weeks away from your family is easy. My mother hasnt heard from her youngest son in years!
I bet its some workout you get working in the mines. I bet your pure muscle. Im sure the Grannies love that.
Anyway it was nice hearing your experience Lee. If only my younger brother would be as open with his mother as youve been here then the world would be a better place. To late now though seeing how she passed away.Oh well.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Weirdo alert.....
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Weirdo alert.....
Old Nov 17th 2012, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

GrannyLover is an unknown quantity at this point

Weirdo alert.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.