Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WORKING IN THE MINES

WORKING IN THE MINES

Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: mining in australia! ANY INFO/ADVICE NEEDED

Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:31 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Going to Australia to make money "working in the mines" is a modern myth.

You need experience in the industry or the associated trades to make it in the door. They may be crying out for people, but only properly-qualified ones.

There is no easy money.

Working in a shop would be no better than anywhere else, unless I guess you were hoping for big tips from cashed-up miners.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Mining entry level jobs do not actually pay that highly. One of the ways in with no qualifacations in mining is doing things like cleaning. However, the pay is crap. My last site we paid staff $52k for 2:1. Its also hard to get into as mining is a bit of a who you know job.

There is highly paid work for young pretty girls in Kalgoorlie
http://yourskimpyguide.blogspot.com/...impy-gnus.html
Old Feb 1st 2012, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Can confirm Daughter and potential future SiL have applied for jobs to start in April in WA... He as an Electrician she as a secretary. Will let you know the outcome of their 'guided' application

Lets see if neoptism really works. They have indicated they will only take a job if they both get employed.

BTW just found out he is currently on contract at the Desal plant here in Victoria at Wonthaggi.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 1st 2012 at 6:57 am.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Yeah go to a mining town and get a job then spend it on rental of a room. Plenty of service jobs going on, but rent makes it not viable for many, also living in pretty much constant 30c and up to 48c in a remote part of the world isn't everyones cup of tea.
Oh and just to point out they don't mine in Perth, so whoever suggested that was a tad unaware of what's really happening in Perth. Pay for shop work is pretty much the same as anywhere else in Aus, just more vacancies as it's low paid work.
There's also little or no plumbing going on at minesites, maybe when they install the camps, a lot of pipe fitting though.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

lotto123 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks very much, yeah i heard of a few people that make very good money, ive being reserching it alot but i guess you need to some one, im a teacher myself so i thought maybe the mining towns might have a school for the settled people living in them or thought even if i got bar work they would pay very good, guess that dream of earning working really hard for few months and having good bit of money is gone now back to the drawing board i guess

p.s. in relation to the person who mentioned Canada please comment relevant information regarding the heading of this tread 'mining' and if you do not have any information/advice regarding mining as stated in the heading i suggest you do not comment at all !
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

The only people who earn well are the mine employees and managers. People living around in towns and the like don't earn loads.. And they have to pay extortionate rentals too! There's no fast buck to be made.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Plus being rude to Polly when she suggested that you get a visa sorted first as you are living in another country is probably the best piece if advice you can take..
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lotto123
thanks very much, yeah i heard of a few people that make very good money, ive being reserching it alot but i guess you need to some one, im a teacher myself so i thought maybe the mining towns might have a school for the settled people living in them or thought even if i got bar work they would pay very good, guess that dream of earning working really hard for few months and having good bit of money is gone now back to the drawing board i guess

p.s. in relation to the person who mentioned Canada please comment relevant information regarding the heading of this tread 'mining' and if you do not have any information/advice regarding mining as stated in the heading i suggest you do not comment at all !
Your spelling and grammar is abysmal for a teacher, I hope you teach music or art
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Have visa etc sorted ...
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have visa etc sorted ...
Good, thats the first step then. I shall ignore your previous comment cos you're new round here and may not realise how many posters ask questions like yours without even acknowledging that they need a visa, never mind being eligible for one!
If you're serious about the teaching side of it then the next step is to check out how to get registration in whichever State you are heading for.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

yeah there are so many different websites and then some of them are just agencies anf want you to pay money to register.. aghhh why cant things be simple... it seemed like such a great idea , work hard and end up with plenty a money , guess only day dreaming ha
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

yeah there are so many different websites and then some of them are just agencies anf want you to pay money to register.. aghhh why cant things be simple... it seemed like such a great idea , work hard and end up with plenty a money , guess only day dreaming ha
If you're heading for the mines in Western Australia, then have a look for the Dept of Education site for WA (sorry, I'm on my ithing and searching takes an age, so no link!) - that will tell you the basic requirements. You might then want to use an agency to actually find work.
Not knowing what visa you are on I have to warn you this could be tricky - if its a WHV for instance you can't work for long for one employer.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:34 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Can I jump in too please My hubby has been talking about going to the mines for the last year or so, last night we started talking seriously. It's something he fancies doing but bearing in mind we have a 2yo, 4yo and 10yo although I would be happy to move, I wouldn't be happy to live remote, so a mining village is a bit out of the way for me I think. Ideally staying in QLD too. So, as all this is new to us I'm kind of figuring that because I want schools, hospital etc close by for our children we could move closer to mines as a family leaving him to FIFO? Not exactly happy where we live and was debating a change of location anyway so would make sense to be closer to where he works. Also, he is a 20yr time served labourer, no qualifications but within his job he does do carpentry, concreting etc as if qualified - one of those blokes that really can turn his hand to everything and is a damn hard worker. He does have tickets - fork lift, hoist, scissor lift, and has Occupational Health and Satefy allowing 2nd in charge - happy to work his way up from the bottom if needs be. Does anyone know anywhere in QLD that kind of fits what we're looking for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.