Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WORKING IN THE MINES

WORKING IN THE MINES

Old Dec 13th 2011, 5:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Originally Posted by E_Daniels
To add, I'm a QLD licenced/experienced Security/Crowd controller and wondered if anyone here knows where to go to to get mine/gatehouse security work?
I'm sure those kind of jobs are hard to get as there are not many of these guys needed and it's a real cushy/sit-on-your-jacksie-all-day kind of job.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 5:26 am
Just Joined

E_Daniels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm sure those kind of jobs are hard to get as there are not many of these guys needed and it's a real cushy/sit-on-your-jacksie-all-day kind of job.
Lol, I had heard how easy mine security jobs apparently are... I'm willing to do any 'from the bottom up' mining jobs, as I'm not the kind of person that likes to sit on my arse all day... I need to be kept busy and active.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter No 2 (Nyz) is making noises about going over there in April with her (Newish) Electrician Boyfreind... I think he finally fully qualifies then. She reckons she can easily get 2-3,000 PW in Admin. They both know people there. Argyle Diamond mine is where they are looking.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

2-3000 a week for a secretary?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Daughter No 2 (Nyz) is making noises about going over there in April with her (Newish) Electrician Boyfreind... I think he finally fully qualifies then. She reckons she can easily get 2-3,000 PW in Admin. They both know people there. Argyle Diamond mine is where they are looking.
Admin jobs can be hard to get as they are very cushy - Rio mine offices are very nice as are the villages. Rio operational people do a 9+5 rotation (or close variations). Realistically, you are not going to work more than 22 of those in a year, so at $2-3k a week that gives an annual income of $80-120k. Is it worth all the hassle for that kind of income? She may not be able to get the same rotations as her boyfriend meaning that they will be FIFO'ing at different times. For really young people it could be a grind as there is not much going on up there. On the other hand they could save a load and also get a shit load of QF FF miles. The biggest demand for people is skilled and experienced tradesmen and mining professionals, most other jobs are easy to fill - apart from the cushy ones!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:35 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the supposed outcomes I've heard about working in the mines whilst the family stays back here in the East is "It's a fast track to Divorce" So if thats true then it could cost a lot more than any potential income. Although that could be just Urban Myth ?

Anyone know if working in the Mines does cause marriage breakups ? The other thing I've heard is that it's so damn expensive to live there that you have to live like a pauper just to save any money ? Is that Urban Myth as well ?

I've only heard 2nd hand of people working there. If it's so good why does my WA Builder mate choose to live in Melbourne... even though he wants to go back as a Builder ? Main reason he tells me is that his income would suffer because his Wife's business as one of the Melbourne Northern Subs main female Handymen(person) business wouldn't be taken seriously over there therefore the family income would suffer.

Therefore based on the few WA people I know, and I admit it is a very few. I dont think working in the mines is all it's cracked up to be.... Unless your single and prepared to live frugaly over there.

Wife and I could go and work on my BIL's Station out of Goondawindi @ 600 bucks per week each.... All Accom, expenses and most food paid... But that would be a hellish life for us. Plus we've got kids, so it's out of the question... might do some Woofing there in the future. I reckon we would only last 3 months. Potentially though that could be more lucrative than the mines... because of the expenses paid.

To sum up there could be just as many opportunities in Qland as there are in WA
FIFO is working great for us, I definatly think that the time apart makes you value the time together more than a 9-5 job.

My OH is working 2weeks on and 1 off, I'm not working though but theres a few reasons why I'm not
1. He earns enough for all of us
2. If I did work I'd never really see him when he's home.
3. I look after my son

If my son wasn't around I'd be FIFO with him, we are both in OHS, so in a few yrs when my son is old enough to stay home I'll join him.

I think the camps are quite good the food can vary but overall a good selection. The dongas are ok if your neighbours don't snore too loudly, last one i stayed in was a large king single bed, tv with ausstar, air con, free internet access, fridge, kettle, bathroom with shower, wardrobe, desk and shelving. The rooms are cleaned most days with fresh linen and towels.

there's nearly alway a gym on site, tennis coursts and bar (the alcohol is the only thing you need to pay for onsite)

On the more permanant sites there is usually family accomodation provided if you wanted to relocate your family there, with all expenses paid incl electricity the only thing you need to pay for is food shopping and car expenses.

hope thats helped.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Thats what I'm told ..... Amazulu may have hit on the flaw. I'll tell her to check it right out.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Im thinking that pay is for weeks worked which could be only half of them a year as mentioned..
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Im thinking that pay is for weeks worked which could be only half of them a year as mentioned..
Not sure yet... Maybe she could do 1.5 jobs. Will wait and see. Plenty of Contacts with inside knowledge over this side and at least 4 or 5 freinds/acquaintances over there...One a foreman at Argyle. They are also checking out mines up in Queensland.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 14th 2011 at 11:10 am.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:39 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure yet... Maybe she could do 1.5 jobs. Will wait and see. Plenty of Contacts with inside knowledge over this side and at least 4 or 5 freinds/acquaintances over there...One a foreman at Argyle. They are also checking out mines up in Queensland.
I'd say the pay of 2-3000 would be per pay wich is often every 2weeks. Sometimes Administrators are pay'd a basic wage then when on site they get an "uplift" allowance of 40%
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Mantzy is an unknown quantity at this point

It's mentioned in a few posts that skilled jobs are required. I'm, hopefully, qualifying as a geologist later this year and looking to get into the mines, probably FIFO from Perth (or from Syd/mel/bris if that sort of thing happens) and was wondering if the mines are likely to take a recent graduate, with little (read none) experience. Not looking for a massive wage but something that the wife and I can be comfortable on - and we're in our early 30s.

I've not got PR but have got a NZ passport (in the post) and the missus will be coming over on the 461 visa.

Are there any websites you'd recommend looking at to try and find work before we got there? Is it easy to get work? What if my degree isn't top grade? Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
R
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I'd say the pay of 2-3000 would be per pay wich is often every 2weeks. Sometimes Administrators are pay'd a basic wage then when on site they get an "uplift" allowance of 40%
That bump below you has reminded me about this thread. Daughter and potential future SiL tell me there is a couples allowance of 50K for working for Argyle. Other mining companies may have this as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 13th 2012 at 1:49 am.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:42 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

oh boy.......
Old Jan 13th 2012, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mantzy
It's mentioned in a few posts that skilled jobs are required. I'm, hopefully, qualifying as a geologist later this year and looking to get into the mines, probably FIFO from Perth (or from Syd/mel/bris if that sort of thing happens) and was wondering if the mines are likely to take a recent graduate, with little (read none) experience. Not looking for a massive wage but something that the wife and I can be comfortable on - and we're in our early 30s.

I've not got PR but have got a NZ passport (in the post) and the missus will be coming over on the 461 visa.

Are there any websites you'd recommend looking at to try and find work before we got there? Is it easy to get work? What if my degree isn't top grade? Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
R
I doubt you will get FIFO for a graduate role. You might have to live away from a major city and drive DIDO to start for a year or two.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

oh boy.......
Oh boy what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.