Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WORKING IN THE MINES

WORKING IN THE MINES

Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:38 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

For blasting the big players are Orica and Dyno Nobel who are owned by Incitec Pivot. I would submit your resume to them directly.

Originally Posted by Valdez
Heh, experience is a problem. I have even worse position. I got a master in mining engineering and after graduation I was working for 6 months underground as a blasting engineer, then I needed to drop this job and spent 3 months looking for new one and get marketing position for a year. Then I moved to mining R&D consulting company and after a year in there I moved to UK. And here I'm stuck. So 5 years from graduation, just 1,5 year of experience... on top of that I need to apply for validation of my diploma cause no one want to recognise them... only good thing is I know that many people after my faculty are working in Australian mines and made their careers.
I really don't mind working hard, especially in specialization I chosen and love in kind of a way. As long as I have enough money to secure me and my wife and there is internet we can settle
Can you maybe recommend woke recruiters or companies where I could apply? It is not something I can do tomorrow as I need visa, this recognition of diploma, pass language test and all this small things, but I need to know chances...

Cheers
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Valdez is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, they are still both of them? I was working for them just after graduation, I applied for Dyno then and ended in Orica, because they was taken over;p
Problem is that my boss in there thinks that I run away, cheat him and company and bla bla bla... I don't know why, I just told him that from family reasons I can't and don't want to work remotely and I need to go back to my city. So I don't know what was unfair in that, but for sure they will contact him and he will give me a crap opinion...
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:35 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Orica took over Dyno Europe, Africa and Middle East. Dyno kept brand, IP, North America, Australia and Mexico. Dyno can now expand in some other markets. Dyno were taken over by Incitec Pivot in 2009. Incitec Pivot were previously split from Orica.

All I can say is that Dyno and Orica are not exactly friendly so apply to both and only one will know your previous boss. All they can do is verify your previous employment and call your previous referees.

Originally Posted by Valdez
Wow, they are still both of them? I was working for them just after graduation, I applied for Dyno then and ended in Orica, because they was taken over;p
Problem is that my boss in there thinks that I run away, cheat him and company and bla bla bla... I don't know why, I just told him that from family reasons I can't and don't want to work remotely and I need to go back to my city. So I don't know what was unfair in that, but for sure they will contact him and he will give me a crap opinion...
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

GARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really nice

Originally Posted by keel
I would come out as a plumber, then when you get here you don't have to work in your trade.

I would give the pipefitting a try, you won't have to go back to tafe for your tickets either as it's not a recocnised trade here and yet they are screaming out for pipefitters.

Keel
I think I have spoken to you before on other threads, you say they are screaming out for pipefitters, who, everyone who I have phoned up and spoken to all say nothing is happening, company's like mondel and John Holland, even on internet sites like seek, the jobs seem to be very thin on the ground, if you know the companys screaming out for pipefitters please tell me who they are and where
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GARRYP1302
I think I have spoken to you before on other threads, you say they are screaming out for pipefitters, who, everyone who I have phoned up and spoken to all say nothing is happening, company's like mondel and John Holland, even on internet sites like seek, the jobs seem to be very thin on the ground, if you know the companys screaming out for pipefitters please tell me who they are and where
AGC in Henderson (Perth) has $65 Million in contract's to fabricate spools for Gorgon project. Over 8000 spools in 18 months. May be worth a CV.

Last edited by upyerfud; Jul 8th 2011 at 6:07 am.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

GARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really nice

Originally Posted by leeleelee
It just sounds as though there crying out for operators?. I,m a plumber by trade but it seemed a faster way to get to Oz and to tell you the truth I'm f**'"ing sick of it(plumbing). Where off to the Expo in leeds on the 9th july so should get some good info there.

So your saying its a bit clicky the mines then?
Just wondering how you got on with the expo site
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

leeleelee is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah!

Well to be honest, it was not good!

I wont be going again they seemed to be just pushing products or services onto you. We got a VIP ticket that cost £79 this gave us an interview with an immi expert who basically said it would cost us to go any further and offered little advise to what we know already. When we hummed and aaaard!. He then offered us a £400 discount(a bit like a double glazing salesman does!). It was not worth £79 so if you go to the next one save your money FACT!

The seminars where crap, they rattled on about how life was so much better there and unemployment was none excistant and every body got a free bike at xmas and so on and on and on!

Don't get me wrong it was not all bad, I was just a little disheartened
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add my son recently started working in a mine driving those HUGE monster trucks, he had no experience of driving them only delivery trucks around Sydney.

And yes he did know somebody who got him in there, though this is in Tasmania, not sure if the OP would like the climate there as apparently people have been snowed in the past few days according to the email he sent me last night!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...11/3266190.htm

Edited to add, he has permanent residency in Australia as we emigrated there when he was 6.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jul 12th 2011 at 12:58 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:54 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah!

I wont be going again they seemed to be just pushing products or services onto you. We got a VIP ticket that cost £79 this gave us an interview with an immi expert who basically said it would cost us to go any further and offered little advise to what we know already. When we hummed and aaaard!. He then offered us a £400 discount(a bit like a double glazing salesman does!). It was not worth £79 so if you go to the next one save your money FACT!

The seminars where crap, they rattled on about how life was so much better there and unemployment was none excistant and every body got a free bike at xmas and so on and on and on!

Just curious as to who runs these seminars??
Old Jul 12th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah!

I only paid the standard £15 fee, even that seemed a bit steep considering what was on offer, for the pipe trade only 3 from oz, I did leave my CV with them, and all 3 said that they will get in touch,it kind off reminded me of the UK recruiters, just get your CV on the books and never hear from them again, but you never know they might surprise me
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

leeleelee is an unknown quantity at this point

Everest Lol!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Valdez is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow free bike?! I need to go there! But each Xmas?
This week I should know if I will go with long and sure way to get visa or maybe shorter but absolutely unsure...
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jooliar, where's my f**king bike?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:08 am
Just Joined

claire5042 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currrently here on a 457 visa (my wife is the main applicant) i'm intrested to go and work in the mines but wondering if you have to be a Permanant Resident?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:32 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire5042
I'm currrently here on a 457 visa (my wife is the main applicant) i'm intrested to go and work in the mines but wondering if you have to be a Permanant Resident?
often projects only last the life of a 457 anyway so mines are prepared to take on a 457 it just depends on your skills and what they need. What are your skills mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.