Reload this Page >

WORKING IN THE MINES

WORKING IN THE MINES

Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

leeleelee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WORKING IN THE MINES

Hi
I am in the UK at the minute and have been looking into working in the mines. I have had some experience in small wheel loaders and I used to drive tanks in the Army
But I'm not qualified for the big beasts there driving, some companies in Oz(perth) offer courses which take 2 weeks for everything you need to work in the mines.
I'm thinking of flying out and doing the course and trying to get a job offer when I'm out there?
Doe's anybody have experience of the mines?
Is it a good idea to fly out and do the course, suppose it shows I'm bloody keen

Your advice needed!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:41 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING IN THE MINES

Do you have Aus citizenship or a visa to work here, that will be the main hurdle?

Secondly, if you do the 2 week course you still won't get a job on he mines as they only want people with experience. You need to know someone on the inside to get a mining job.

If you don't know an insider what you need to do is get a entry level job as a trades assistant, geo offsider that kind of thing and after a few months when you have proved you are not dickhead and can handle the conditions that's the point you can get offered the training to operate the machinery.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

It just sounds as though there crying out for operators?. I,m a plumber by trade but it seemed a faster way to get to Oz and to tell you the truth I'm f**'"ing sick of it(plumbing). Where off to the Expo in leeds on the 9th july so should get some good info there.

So your saying its a bit clicky the mines then?
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:55 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeleelee
It just sounds as though there crying out for operators?. I,m a plumber by trade but it seemed a faster way to get to Oz and to tell you the truth I'm f**'"ing sick of it(plumbing). Where off to the Expo in leeds on the 9th july so should get some good info there.

So your saying its a bit clicky the mines then?
Mines are crying out for operators but the ratio of time wasting dickheads who "wanna get a job on the moines" and actual good staff is huge. It really does help if you know someone on the inside who will vouch for you or going my path of getting an entry level pos and moving up from the inside.

As a plumber you'll be quids in here in Aus (from what I've heard) but there could be issues with getting your plumbing "ticket" once you are here. It's crazy, you do all the skills assessments, get the visa then come over and find you can't do your trade because you don't have the local quals. I'm pretty sure plumbing is one of these trades.

FYI, I used to work on the mines in the late 80's. Tried to get a job from Perth and in the end had to go door knocking in Kalgoorlie - got a job the same day! - in the 6 months I was there I saw loads of wannabes come and go.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

It is I've looked!
2 years at college for something I have nearly done all my working life
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:01 pm
(It's not my real name)

It is I've looked!
2 years at college for something I have nearly done all my working life
Welcome to Australia!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 12:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I am in the UK at the minute and have been looking into working in the mines. I have had some experience in small wheel loaders and I used to drive tanks in the Army
But I'm not qualified for the big beasts there driving, some companies in Oz(perth) offer courses which take 2 weeks for everything you need to work in the mines.
I'm thinking of flying out and doing the course and trying to get a job offer when I'm out there?
Is it a good idea to fly out and do the course, suppose it shows I'm bloody keen

Your advice needed!
Are you an Australian permanent resident or citizen?
I would say that you would be wasting your time unfortunately. Just doing a course will not get you into the industry. From what I see, people who chase these kind of jobs by doing courses off their own back get nowhere. Others get hired, get paid to do the courses and walk into a job. Don't know why this is, but it is. Mining companies do need a lot of new workers all the time, but unskilled jobs are in huge demand. Do you have any trade skills? If not, maybe look at getting some? Qualified tradesmen have it easier.

Another thing to remember is that the big mining companies are moving over to driverless trucks. I work for Rio Tinto, and they are operating them right now on a mine in WA. The project I am working on is going the same way. Driverless trains are also coming in. Soon they will have driverless plant as well. They are saving money by doing this, it's just that they are sick of dealing with militant unions and staff, and having to deal with staff who don't give a shit and take the piss.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Yeah I,m a plumber, gas fitter, pipefitter any contacts would be useful, cheers
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

warbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah I,m a plumber, gas fitter, pipefitter any contacts would be useful, cheers
You need to get yourself over here and get a job doing what you know - plumbing, probably in Perth, assuming you're coming to WA.

Once you've got some local experience, look to the large plumbing contractors who build the camps. Beg for a job with them and you'll make serious money doing a 3/1 or 4/1 roster. Then you'll have a chance of driving a truck.

Me? I'd stick to plumbing, good supervisors are getting upto $200k. I've been told of a plumbing mgr on >$300k for BHP.

Having said all that, there are loads of plumbers chasing work out on site. Most aren't cut out for it, it's a tough gig.

Good luck
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Cheers buddy!

who is BHP?
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

warbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the roughwarbs4 is a jewel in the rough

Cheers buddy!

who is BHP?
No problem, BHP Billiton - the biggest miner along with Rio Tinto
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Am I likely to get a job out there being a POM tradesman?. I' ready for working hard, just carnt wait to get out there its knackered here
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Am I likely to get a job out there being a POM tradesman?. I' ready for working hard, just carnt wait to get out there its knackered here
Easy, it's all about attitude. My experience, no-one gives a rats arse about where you're from, but p'haps I've had sheltered time over here.
We have 3 welders working for us, 2 English, 1 Aussie - one of them takes his sweet ass time on every job - guess which one?
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

NEED A PIPEFITTER LOL!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Your advice needed!
I live in a mining town. See plenty of people head up here with dreams of landing a job with one of the many mining companies & end up heading back down south well out of pocket.
Is all who you know, not what or being Indigenous is a massive bonus.
Having the correct license and no experience won't get you anywhere to be 100% honest.
Would say first step would be to get a PR visa and take it from there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.