Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working in the mines?

Working in the mines?

Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:04 am
Just Joined

jackie-nick will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Working in the mines?

Hi everyone. What a great site to answer all your questions!!

Myself and my husband and our two children aged 2 and 5 are in the process of applying for our visa. My husband is a Diesel Fitter by trade but mainly working on commercial veichle's, Trucks and things no so much the really heavy plant machines, but could if needs be.

We know that this trade is sort ofter out in Oz, but after researching it, it doesn't seem tobe that well paid unless you go into the mines. Can anyone give us any advise about working in the mines or if someone is already doing it and can give us an example of the life?
From what I have read it seems to be shift work days on and days off and they fly you in and out. This doesn't seem tobe an ideal situation but hey you cant have it all ways.

We will be visiting next year looking at Brisbane, Wellington Point area as we have friends here. I know this insn't the most affordable area, so if anyone has any suggestion of somewhere more affordable, but not too far I'd love your advise?

Thanks
Jackie.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the mines?

Hi. I am a geologist off to work in a mine in Oz based from Sydney. I will be doing fly in fly out (FIFO) from sydney to two areas in NSW. This is normal for geologists and most other mine staff. However, many mines are close to small towns and some of the large mines have effectivly built towns to service the mine. You could therefore live on site and your husband could be home every night. However, the towns are often small and remote and you can forget about being near a beach. The advantage of FIFO, is that in Oz the stints are fairly short and the breaks off are good. For example i will be doing two weeks out and then a week off, when i add my holiday allowance this means i get over 22 weeks a year off!!
Mines also pay highly and of course your family will save money by not having to feed and water your hubby while he is away.
If you need more advice feel free to contact me
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie-nick
Hi everyone. What a great site to answer all your questions!!

Myself and my husband and our two children aged 2 and 5 are in the process of applying for our visa. My husband is a Diesel Fitter by trade but mainly working on commercial veichle's, Trucks and things no so much the really heavy plant machines, but could if needs be.

We know that this trade is sort ofter out in Oz, but after researching it, it doesn't seem tobe that well paid unless you go into the mines. Can anyone give us any advise about working in the mines or if someone is already doing it and can give us an example of the life?
From what I have read it seems to be shift work days on and days off and they fly you in and out. This doesn't seem tobe an ideal situation but hey you cant have it all ways.

We will be visiting next year looking at Brisbane, Wellington Point area as we have friends here. I know this insn't the most affordable area, so if anyone has any suggestion of somewhere more affordable, but not too far I'd love your advise?

Thanks
Jackie.
Diesel fitters are the highest paid tradesmen in mining so good luck to him.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:49 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

A mate of mine went from $60K at a toyota dealer to $100K in the Pilbara 8 days on 6 off out of Perth doing motor maintenance.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You could try Capalaba, thornlands or Victoria Point. As with all areas there are good and bad parts. I bought a house in Capalaba (in a newer subdivision) because it was more affordable than buying in Cleveland or Wellington Point. It just depends on what your budget is. What are you hoping to buy a house for?

I can't comment too much on the mines, except to say that we had the same issues. My husband is a mining engineer and we had expected to have to go out and live in a mining town. The only town that we found that was close to the ocean and in a decent area was Singleton, NSW. There's a bunch of open pit coal mines there and it's only an hour from Newcastle. If your husband can work at an underground mine there's also the Lake Macquarie area just outside Newcastle.

Other than that pretty much everything is remote so would be fly in fly out or live in a remote mining town. So not too many options I'm afraid.

We got lucky as my husband found an office job in Brisbane so we got to stay here. If that hadn't happened then we'd be in Singleton right now!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

jackie-nick will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that.....My husband thinks that this is to good to be true and seems to think there is a catch somewhere.
If the pay is so good why is there such a shortage?
Also during the 6 days on what sort of hours do they work and what sort of conditions?

Sorry to seem so negative but these are the sort of questions we need to know before we make the move.

Thanks everso...
Jackie
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The pay is good because the mining industry is booming world wide and there are a shortage of people with the right skills. Rotas vary from mine to mine as do hours. My guess is that he would do something between 8 and 12 per day while on.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Conditions will vary from mine to mine, but staff are generally very well treated and accomodation often includes on suite rooms with TV's, there are often good recreation facilities including tenis and swimming pools and food is often excellent, (though sometimes a little predicatble with certain foods such as a barbie on certain days).
One of the biggest projects at the moment is Olympic Dam and below is the link
http://odx.bhpbilliton.com/
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
For example i will be doing two weeks out and then a week off, when i add my holiday allowance this means i get over 22 weeks a year off!!
But when you consider in every 14 day cycle:

8 days working shifts up to 12 hours
2 Saturdays
2 Sundays
1 day flying in
1 day flying out
(Last 2 items may not take up a full day of course)

The 6 days off are not exactly "free" days.

If you compare against a person in civi street:
5 day week
weekends off
statutory holidays (often missed on the mines)

Then your 22 weeks are not that much more and you may be working the longer hours.

I'm not having a go at you BTW but just pointing out that the mining jobs are not exactly as they are portrayed.

BUT, the money is ******g good
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Do they need anyone in the mines surveying, with a total station and cad knowledge? lol
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
But when you consider in every 14 day cycle:

8 days working shifts up to 12 hours
2 Saturdays
2 Sundays
1 day flying in
1 day flying out
(Last 2 items may not take up a full day of course)

The 6 days off are not exactly "free" days.

If you compare against a person in civi street:
5 day week
weekends off
statutory holidays (often missed on the mines)

Then your 22 weeks are not that much more and you may be working the longer hours.

I'm not having a go at you BTW but just pointing out that the mining jobs are not exactly as they are portrayed.

BUT, the money is ******g good
I know what you are saying, and yes hours are long, but my FIFO days are part of my 14 and not part of my 7 off and if i work a statutory day then i am entitled to add it to my holiday allowance which i would prefer. For me there is no real choice anyway - i am a mine geologist
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:35 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you are saying, and yes hours are long, but my FIFO days are part of my 14 and not part of my 7 off and if i work a statutory day then i am entitled to add it to my holiday allowance which i would prefer. For me there is no real choice anyway - i am a mine geologist
You got a good deal mate
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

OH works on the mines doing security, 14 on 7 off, he loves it.
He previously worked 12hr shifts in the city and was always tired on his 2 days off but now he enjoys his time at home and with the generous holiday leave he will be home for a month at a time. His FIFO is part of his 14 days.

I also love him being away

Di
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

I think you may have my dream roster.

good on you mate.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Hi can anyone offer any info on mechanical fitters in mines - I know the diesal fitters are in highy demand but is there any call for the mechanical aspect?

OH has done fifo before all over Europe, before we has children, so he's comfortable with the set up. He's on 4 on 4 off at the mo in the uk which is brilliant but when we land he's open to anything really to get his foot in the door.

We have looked at Townsville as well as Brisbane but we are closer to friend there so feel it would help with the settling process.

any guidance, info would be great,

cheers,

Shelley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.