Working as a midwife in Australia

Working as a midwife in Australia

Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Kitkat 78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as a midwife in Australia

Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum.
I'm looking for honest advice and information about working as a midwife in Australia.
I am an experienced NHS midwife of 10 years who has worked mainly in the intrapartum setting of delivery suite or the midwifery led unit.
We are a family of three with a 19 month old.
We would be grateful of any information anyone can give us about moving down under and how to get the ball rolling.
Thanks
Old Jun 12th 2014, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of
Default Re: Working as a midwife in Australia

From what I hear, midwives are still in the dark ages in Australia independent practice-wise, due to the influence of obstetricians. It seems most things can only be done under the supervision of a doctor. I may be wrong, and there are a few initiatives in certain states, but overall it sounds like midwives here have little clinical autonomy. There is a big debate going on at the moment about home births, even for low risk women. New head of AMA in Western Australia is on record as saying "the only safe birth is a hospital birth." Good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all
Default Re: Working as a midwife in Australia

Suppose it depends where you are heading to. If you are expecting autonomy and job satisfaction, forget WA, although some of the midwives told me it was better in Queensland and Victoria, but I have no experience there so cannot comment. If you could try to get your head around just going to work, earning a salary and doing the best you can within the system, you would be ok. Personally I struggled with the privateised heslth system, obstetric and paedeatric high levels of intervention and lack of job satisfaction.