Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WORKING In MENTAL HEALTH

WORKING In MENTAL HEALTH

Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Question WORKING In MENTAL HEALTH

Hi there
I am moving to Brisbane area at the end of the year. I have worked in the mental health and drug field for the past 9-10 years. I have quite varied experience including working in the community/in rehab & managing a new project.
I have a degree in psychology but no nursing qualifications. I have been assessed and accepted as a welfare worker, which carried maximum points- so have always assumed that finding work would not be too problematic. As the time gets nearer I would really like to hear from anyone who has similar experience and has moved over? Is there any problem finding work without a nursing qualificationh? Is the pay comparable to here? Is the way things are done much diffrerent? Sorry to ask so many questions but am unable to find anyone in this position so far!
Thanks
Rachel

Last edited by desperate2go; Jan 13th 2005 at 8:32 am.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORKING In MENTAL HEALTH

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Hi there
I am moving to Brisbane area at the end of the year. I have worked in the mental health and drug field for the past 9-10 years. I have quite varied experience including working in the community/in rehab & managing a new project.
I have a degree in psychology but no nursing qualifications. I have been assessed and accepted as a welfare worker, which carried maximum points- so have always assumed that finding work would not be too problematic. As the time gets nearer I would really like to hear from anyone who has similar experience and has moved over? Is there any problem finding work without a nursing qualificationh? Is the pay comparable to here? Is the way things are done much diffrerent? Sorry to ask so many questions but am unable to find anyone in this position so far!
Thanks
Rachel
You willfind that you can practice as a psychologist without a Post graduate degree unlike the UK.

You would be advised to check this out with the Australian Psychological organisation.

You may also find that many jobs are advertised for generic mental health workers and open to Nurses, psychologists, OTs etc. At least they are in some states.In this case the salaries would be the same for each. Generally Psychologists are lower paid than in the UK.

You should also be aware that mental health practice is 'somewhat different' in much of Australia to the UK but I will not elaborate on an open forum.

Try doing a search as there have been posts on this before.

Good luck

G
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Smile Re: WORKING In MENTAL HEALTH

Originally Posted by Grayling
You willfind that you can practice as a psychologist without a Post graduate degree unlike the UK.

You would be advised to check this out with the Australian Psychological organisation.

You may also find that many jobs are advertised for generic mental health workers and open to Nurses, psychologists, OTs etc. At least they are in some states.In this case the salaries would be the same for each. Generally Psychologists are lower paid than in the UK.

You should also be aware that mental health practice is 'somewhat different' in much of Australia to the UK but I will not elaborate on an open forum.

Try doing a search as there have been posts on this before.

Good luck

G
That is great news!! Psychologists may be paid less than here but its probably a hell of a lot more than I earn at present!!
Do you know if there is plenty of work around?
Thanks for the uplifting news
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

That is great news!! Psychologists may be paid less than here but its probably a hell of a lot more than I earn at present!!
Do you know if there is plenty of work around?
Thanks for the uplifting news
Have a look here:

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/

Alos check out:

www.seek.com.au

Most Qld jobs are advertised there . It may give you some Idea.

Most 'generic' jobs I have seen have been in NSW but I am sure they will exist in others states.
I am not sure what grade you would start on if you find a job. Nurses are paid according to years of experience (as a nurse).

Don't know where that would put you but Nurses would start around $40.000 pa. in most states up to around $60.000 with ten tears of experience. It varies from state to state which is why I am a bit vague. That would be for basic grade registered Nurses. Someone may provide more accurate figures.

Following my earlier comments find out exactly what the work entails before you commit yourself anywhere.

Good luck

G
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:16 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Thanks
Rachel
try this, it's who I work for, may give you some pointers

http://www.dsc.wa.gov.au/
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walla1
try this, it's who I work for, may give you some pointers

http://www.dsc.wa.gov.au/
Thanks
Seems to only cover WA but i have emailed them
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:32 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Seems to only cover WA but i have emailed them
try this

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/careers/default.asp
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walla1
Thanks Walla
Thats a really useful site
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:11 am
Keeping it fairly real

Thanks Walla
Thats a really useful site
no worries