Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

tunnyx is on a distinguished road
Default Working to live or living life?

I've watched a few threads recently, arguing about three main things

a) Its cheaper/same/expensive to live in Australia compared to the Uk
b) Life style vs Wage drop
c) House prices in Oz vs UK

Why are these arguments actually happening?

Put simply, people (myself included) are looking to emigrating, and want to know if its easy in Oz compared to UK.

So..... heres my 2 pennies (just my opinion obviously, but I've done the research and I know life aint easy anywhere).......

We start with our capital of house, cars etc, around £130,000 (conservative estimate, dont be silly guessing what its worth), then knock off any mortgages/finance outstanding (say £62,000)

That leaves around £68,000 to get the ball rolling. Knock off shipping of our household items, flights, applic fees and so forth (they soon add up) and we're down to around £60,000 to bring over......

We conservatively estimate that we will live for up to 2 months on this money before we consider settling/working wherever we decide to locate, which will cost around $8-10 Aus (around £4k) so were down to £56,000 to start off with. Lets convert it to $ now to keep things sane..... approx 2.5 so say $140,000.

Now, say we have chosen a town. Small(ish), within 30k of a reasonably large city (cairns, perth etc). Were likely to rent for at least 6 moths, probably nearer 12-18 months realistically.... why? well, The market has done nothing but increase, and unlike most people, I fully understand that the market can go down as well as up. We rent because of three reasons

a) Renting is far cheaper than buying in the short term
b) No guarantees the place you initially settle will be right for you
c) House prices could well fall with the market and interest rates so finely balanced.

So, we rent. I am a jack of all trades (accountant, IT guru, web developer, and I'll even lay flags if required) whilst my wife is a Chef. We have 2 kids so schooling is necessary (and another worry). We rent on a 6 month contract, and either find jobs, or set up a business (don't worry, there will be plenty of research done if we go down this route).

Both of us are extremely hard workers and not afraid to do 40 hour weeks (we both already do, and work damned hard in those 40 hours). Even in a job below our abilities, we would suspect a minimum of $30,000 pa before taxes. We know we will probably do better than this, but once again, lets be cautious.

So, we will probably bring home (at an absolute minimum) around $25,000 each, around $50,000 a year.

Renting will cost $1500-$2000 per month (top), leaving us with $2000 per month to live off. We will have the majority of our funds in savings ready for either the right business opportunity, or for when we finally achieve the jobs we want in the location we want, and decide to buy a property.

Property gets found, say around the $350k mark. With our deposit we will have a mortgage of (conservative guess) $200,000. This should equal a monthly mortgage payment of $1800 (max on around 8% est).

---------------------

Everyones situation is different, but lets be honest with ourselves. If you have a plan, and know what you want from your move, and you are sure you aren't considering it all based on pipe dreams and UK living TV, then i'm pretty sure it can work for you....

Those who havent done the sums, or are just looking after the easy life, just stay in the UK!

Tunny
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:10 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Re: Working to live or living life?

Hi Tunny

Interesting points you make, but I think worries of every description go around and around in peoples heads and these questions you quote are peoples way of confirming to themselves that they have the right info about things. We all need confirmation and reassurance after making such a life changing decision.
Also I don't think anyone could go through this process and still be making this life changing decision based on pipe dreams or some tv programme. I'ts a roller coaster ride even for straight forward applications and a very time consuming process.

Good luck to you on your journey

Carole

Originally Posted by tunnyx
I've watched a few threads recently, arguing about three main things

a) Its cheaper/same/expensive to live in Australia compared to the Uk
b) Life style vs Wage drop
c) House prices in Oz vs UK

Put simply, people (myself included) are looking to emigrating, and want to know if its easy in Oz compared to UK.

So..... heres my 2 pennies (just my opinion obviously, but I've done the research and I know life aint easy anywhere).......

We start with our capital of house, cars etc, around £130,000 (conservative estimate, dont be silly guessing what its worth), then knock off any mortgages/finance outstanding (say £62,000)

That leaves around £68,000 to get the ball rolling. Knock off shipping of our household items, flights, applic fees and so forth (they soon add up) and we're down to around £60,000 to bring over......

We conservatively estimate that we will live for up to 2 months on this money before we consider settling/working wherever we decide to locate, which will cost around $8-10 Aus (around £4k) so were down to £56,000 to start off with. Lets convert it to $ now to keep things sane..... approx 2.5 so say $140,000.

Now, say we have chosen a town. Small(ish), within 30k of a reasonably large city (cairns, perth etc). Were likely to rent for at least 6 moths, probably nearer 12-18 months realistically.... why? well, The market has done nothing but increase, and unlike most people, I fully understand that the market can go down as well as up. We rent because of three reasons

a) Renting is far cheaper than buying in the short term
b) No guarantees the place you initially settle will be right for you
c) House prices could well fall with the market and interest rates so finely balanced.

So, we rent. I am a jack of all trades (accountant, IT guru, web developer, and I'll even lay flags if required) whilst my wife is a Chef. We have 2 kids so schooling is necessary (and another worry). We rent on a 6 month contract, and either find jobs, or set up a business (don't worry, there will be plenty of research done if we go down this route).

Both of us are extremely hard workers and not afraid to do 40 hour weeks (we both already do, and work damned hard in those 40 hours). Even in a job below our abilities, we would suspect a minimum of $30,000 pa before taxes. We know we will probably do better than this, but once again, lets be cautious.

So, we will probably bring home (at an absolute minimum) around $25,000 each, around $50,000 a year.

Renting will cost $1500-$2000 per month (top), leaving us with $2000 per month to live off. We will have the majority of our funds in savings ready for either the right business opportunity, or for when we finally achieve the jobs we want in the location we want, and decide to buy a property.

Property gets found, say around the $350k mark. With our deposit we will have a mortgage of (conservative guess) $200,000. This should equal a monthly mortgage payment of $1800 (max on around 8% est).

---------------------

Everyones situation is different, but lets be honest with ourselves. If you have a plan, and know what you want from your move, and you are sure you aren't considering it all based on pipe dreams and UK living TV, then i'm pretty sure it can work for you....

Those who havent done the sums, or are just looking after the easy life, just stay in the UK!

Tunny
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Tunny,

That is one of the most sensible posts I've seen on this site in a while!! The debate has been running for a while and will probably keep going!!

My advice is the same - do the research and then more research, get a plan together and then do what you have to do. Of course there are going to be swings and roundabouts but at the end of the day there always is in life wherever you go.

We've been in Brizzy for almost 8 months but feel like we've been living here for years!! Forget all the shite you see on TV and come over with a completely open mind.

Nice one
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:09 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tunnyx

The arguments happen because of the second point listed above(Everyones situation is different).

I would also say that I have spoken to many expats here that there has always been a cost that they had not considered, a situation they had not planned for.

IMO you can do all the sums you like but they are all theoretical and you won't know whether they are valid or not until you set up your new life. The sums/research of course are necessary as a guideline but until you've done it and experienced the move with your own set of circumstances you won't know. I say listen to everyones arguments and try and pick out those bits that you think may apply to you.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Forgetting all the arguements and just sticking with your figures, you will probably find that you have over estimated on the cost of a rental, we have rented a 4-bed detatched for $250/week. We also have 2 children like yourself, and dont anyone start another argument about benefits, but you will also be eligible for about $800/month in child benefit and rent assistance if you have permanent residency. There you see, you are now better off to the tune of nearly $2000/month. Going off your figures you'll be OK, it always pays to do the research first.

Andy
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:38 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy thomas
Forgetting all the arguements and just sticking with your figures, you will probably find that you have over estimated on the cost of a rental, we have rented a 4-bed detatched for $250/week. We also have 2 children like yourself, and dont anyone start another argument about benefits, but you will also be eligible for about $800/month in child benefit and rent assistance if you have permanent residency. There you see, you are now better off to the tune of nearly $2000/month. Going off your figures you'll be OK, it always pays to do the research first.

Andy
Can you get rent assistance on PR within your first two years on PR.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HUP
Can you get rent assistance on PR within your first two years on PR.
Yes, but ONLY if you are eligible for MORE than the base rate of Family Tax Benefit.
So it is income based to a degree.

http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_benefits.htm

Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy thomas

Andy
Blimey Andy, you do well!! We only get $60 per month for our 2 kids (heck of a lot less than the £100ish fam all we got in the UK) and no rent allowance because i don't think on a 139 you get it (not renting so not valid to us anyway)

Not arguing, just to point out (yet again) that everyones circumstances are different.

Also $2000 per month isn't a massive amount for the 2.4 family to live on after the bills come out of it IMO. Again, no argument to start, just putting over my view

Andy, are you self employed now?? Wanna come give us a quote, or are we oo far away??
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hevs
Blimey Andy, you do well!! We only get $60 per month for our 2 kids (heck of a lot less than the £100ish fam all we got in the UK) and no rent allowance because i don't think on a 139 you get it (not renting so not valid to us anyway)

Not arguing, just to point out (yet again) that everyones circumstances are different.

Also $2000 per month isn't a massive amount for the 2.4 family to live on after the bills come out of it IMO. Again, no argument to start, just putting over my view

Andy, are you self employed now?? Wanna come give us a quote, or are we oo far away??

Yes I am. Have sent PM.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:56 am
ABCDiamond

A couple with 1 or 2 children can get up to $57.54 per week rent assistance, assuming they are getting more than the base rate of $21.49 per week FTB-A.

See this link for cut off points for income: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../ftb_a_iat.htm

It appears to be a family income of $56,100 for a family with 2 children ages under 13 means that no Rent Assistance is payable.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Self employed here, so far our only experience of claiming from centerlink resulted in a large bill to pay back at tax time, What on earth are people earning to get $800 a month

Isnt rent assistance for the poor, thought all that was for people on less than $34,000 for the whole tax year. That reminds me we never got a child cash bonus the $600 thing per kid was there an income limit on that? Havent been bothered to check, lining up with the ferals and flannos too :scared:
Must get on to it from the sound of this thread.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:25 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A couple with 1 or 2 children can get up to $57.54 per week rent assistance, assuming they are getting more than the base rate of $21.49 per week FTB-A.

See this link for cut off points for income: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../ftb_a_iat.htm

It appears to be a family income of $56,100 for a family with 2 children ages under 13 means that no Rent Assistance is payable.

Personally i dont know if you have looked seriously at your income potential but $50.000 AUD seems very low the minimum wage is $39.500pa.

Look into what the rates for wages are in the area you are choosing again if you haven't already.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:31 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
As in our case. Son is 16 [year 11] and still at school til 18 yet we get no income support, no FTB, no RA. Nothing. Didn't expect anything so didn't count on anything.

As hevs said, different circumstances = different outcomes.

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Apr 6th 2005 at 7:35 am. Reason: Added a bit

Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Personally i dont know if you have looked seriously at your income potential but $50.000 AUD seems very low the minimum wage is $39.500pa.

Look into what the rates for wages are in the area you are choosing again if you haven't already.

Dont know where you get the idea that the minimum wage is $39,500 pa
(39,500/52/38) ie $19.98 per hour. I work with about 150 men that would love to be on your minimum wage.

They are on $15 per hour and this is employment with a government body. Providing a public service.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jwinch
Dont know where you get the idea that the minimum wage is $39,500 pa
(39,500/52/38) ie $19.98 per hour. I work with about 150 men that would love to be on your minimum wage.

They are on $15 per hour and this is employment with a government body. Providing a public service.
As at 1 September 2004, the QLD Minimum wage was $467.40pw or $11.685 ph
http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/award...ldminwage.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.