Reload this Page >

Working as a lawyer/paralegal in Sydney without requalifying

Working as a lawyer/paralegal in Sydney without requalifying

Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

HelenL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as a lawyer/paralegal in Sydney without requalifying

Hi all

I'm new to the forum. Am just trying to get some general info re. work as a paralegal in Sydney.

I'm a construction lawyer (6 years PQE) working in-house at the moment in London. My boyfriend and I are planning on coming to Sydney in a year's time. He's lived there before, I've only been on a short trip once about 6 years ago.

I'm reluctant to spend the time and money re-qualifying in NSW until I know if I want to stay in Sydney long term. I'm also not sure if I want to go back to private practice as I really enjoy working in-house and have no regrets leaving the city.

So I was wondering if I'd be able to work as a UK qualified solicitor possibly doing paralegal work in Sydney. Having done some research there doesn't seem to be too much of a market in NSW for paralegals, it seems you're either a legal secretary doing semi-legal admin roles or a fully fledged solicitor. Is this the reality?

I was also wondering if it would be possible to work in an in-house role as a lawyer without requalifying? I imagine that in-house roles in Sydney are just as hard to come by as they are in London, so would be surprised if the answer to that question is yes!

I've tried contacting the NSW admissions board but have found them quite unhelpful and all too keen to make me part with lots of cash to start the requalification process.

Would appreciate hearing anybody's thoughts - Thanks in advance!

Helen
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a lawyer/paralegal in Sydney without requalifying

How are you plannng to get out here? What visa will you be applying for?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:11 am
Just Joined

HelenL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working as a lawyer/paralegal in Sydney without requalifying

Hi!

My boyfriend's applying for PR and we'll have been living together for 12 months by then so I'll be his de facto partner and can get in that way. We've been told that this won't restrict where I can work