Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working hours in Australia

Working hours in Australia

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:28 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working hours in Australia

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Most get 20 days... and then also get the public holidays (between 8 and 10 depending on the year and whether some fall on weekends - in which case you get shortchanged like Anzac day 2009 which was a saturday but DIDNT get a public holiday moved to the monday).

Having said that there seem to be a growing number of jobs where public holidays arent respected.

I share working 7am-10:30pm 365 days a year with 5 people. That means I get on average 2 public holdays a year where I'm working, I lose 21 weekend days a year to work and have 1 day each week extended by more than 6 hours. All unpaid and in excess of a 'normal' 40 hours week.

I *am* looking for a new job

Edit: Just checked 2011 public holidays and we get cheated AGAIN: Easter Monday April 25th, ANZAC Day April 25th - Both listed as public holidays!!! What kind of SCAM is that?!!
With regards to Anzac Day being at the weekend, our company are giving us the Monday off - I dont know if that is happening as standard in WA, but I know we are getting it off.

If I did overtime, I would get time off in lieu but now our company has brought in a ruling where we get paid.

I am very lucky though, I can start early, leave early, take time off for hospital appointments or like the other week I had to go home at lunchtime to see a claims assessor.

However, if things are busy and in the event of an emergency, I would be expected to chip in.

This year I got a bonus which was nice, they are a flexible employer, I like where I work and consider myself very lucky.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There may clauses in the contracts, but how many employers follow all clauses ?

Many sample contract templates include this, and may be used by employers who prefer a standard contract, rather than make one themselves.

They may be a bit laid back about enforcing some terms, sometimes, and for some people, but use the clauses as and when really required. ?
That's very true.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:46 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
With regards to Anzac Day being at the weekend, our company are giving us the Monday off - I dont know if that is happening as standard in WA, but I know we are getting it off.
In SA, you get the Monday off if ANZAC day falls on a Sunday, but not if it falls on a Saturday!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolshadows
In SA, you get the Monday off if ANZAC day falls on a Sunday, but not if it falls on a Saturday!
I read something about that being standardised throughout Australia. Apparently the reason is Saturday is considered a working day while Sunday is considerd a holiday.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:43 am
Just Joined

nikki2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by POW148
I work monday to friday 8 til 4. I get 6 weeks annual recreation leave per year, 4 mandatory rest days, stood down on full pay between xmas and new year (no leave deducted for this break). I get 9 days long service leave per year (done my ten years to earn 3 months off). I get home approx 4.45pm each evening so get to enjoy my long summer nights of daylight saving. So I think I can disagree with your comments. Seems to me that I have a far better deal than what I got whilst living in the UK.

Barney

Please tell me what industry your in
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nikki2010
Please tell me what industry your in
Sounds like a Government job to me

Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:50 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Sounds like a Government job to me
Teacher or politician
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:06 am
Just Joined

nikki2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read the reply about working in Dubai. I think it makes a huge difference to time off and quality of life especially in the Middle East as to when you moved there. We moved out 2 years ago, I work minmum 8 hours a day to around 12, 6 days a week. My other half also works 12 hour days nearly everyday 5 daysa week and 8 on the 6th. Both of our jobs are considered very good, holiday wise i get 30days after a year and weekends are counted in the holiday. Saying that friends who arrived 8 years ago work 8-3 5 days a week and have 6 weeks off. Depends when you arrived
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost ridiculous to compare holidays in the UK to Aus for established people. The vast majority of working people with over 10 years with the same employer get at least 29 days per year plus the 10 public holidays. 11 public holidays in Vic this year because of Anzac day.

No contest. It's called Long Service Leave, only reason this is being debated is there are not that many people posting on here than have been in Aus for 10 years or more. This covers every working person in Aus that works under the Award System, which is the majority of the Workforce.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 27th 2010 at 2:58 am.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's almost ridiculous to compare holidays in the UK to Aus for established people. The vast majority of working people with over 10 years with the same employer get at least 29 days per year plus the 10 public holidays. 11 public holidays in Vic this year because of Anzac day.

No contest. It's called Long Service Leave, only reason this is being debated is there are not that many people posting on here than have been in Aus for 10 years or more. This covers every working person in Aus that works under the Award System, which is the majority of the Workforce.
I'm not quite sure about your 'vast majority' getting at least 29 days after 10 years - that might be the case for you.

As for long service leave, personally I'd rather have an extra 5 days annually than having the long service leave carrot dangling...when it can be taken away without any control over the situation.

In my Australian working history I left one job after 2.5 years as the company was about to go t!ts up...and it did. Was retrenched after less than a year from the next one. Fat lot of use LSL is in those situations.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm not quite sure about your 'vast majority' getting at least 29 days after 10 years - that might be the case for you.

As for long service leave, personally I'd rather have an extra 5 days annually than having the long service leave carrot dangling...when it can be taken away without any control over the situation.

In my Australian working history I left one job after 2.5 years as the company was about to go t!ts up...and it did. Was retrenched after less than a year from the next one. Fat lot of use LSL is in those situations.
Long service leave is accrued like holiday pay though, so when you leave a company they have to pay it out, even though you can't actually claim the holidays until 10 years service is done.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Long service leave is accrued like holiday pay though, so when you leave a company they have to pay it out
Not quite - that still depends on the length of service.

e.g.

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/BUSVI.../PC_63016.html

Example 2
Rosa resigns from her employment after 6 years and 9 months.

As Rosa has not reached seven years of continuous employment, there is no entitlement to a payment of accrued long service leave.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not quite - that still depends on the length of service.

e.g.

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/BUSVI.../PC_63016.html

Example 2
Rosa resigns from her employment after 6 years and 9 months.

As Rosa has not reached seven years of continuous employment, there is no entitlement to a payment of accrued long service leave.
Yes you have to be in the workplace for at least 10 years, however once that milestone is reached there is a world of difference between the recreation leave available in Aus compared to the UK. It accrues at 9 days per year from that point on and can be taken at half pay, equating to double the length of time.

It depends on how many people are still under the award system, which I assume is the majority in the workplace, especially as the last election was lost by the Liberals on workplace reforms and the award system. Part time employees also get this leave on a pro-rata basis, after 10 years.

Not sure what percentage of the current working population would get this, my guess would be around 33pct. Depends how many people stay at once place for 10 years.... it is transferrable between employers in the Building trade for CFMEU members.

ABCD would probably know.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:05 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes you have to be in the workplace for at least 10 years, however once that milestone is reached there is a world of difference between the recreation leave available in Aus compared to the UK. It accrues at 9 days per year from that point on and can be taken at half pay, equating to double the length of time.

It depends on how many people are still under the award system, which I assume is the majority in the workplace, especially as the last election was lost by the Liberals on workplace reforms and the award system. Part time employees also get this leave on a pro-rata basis, after 10 years.

Not sure what percentage of the current working population would get this, my guess would be around 33pct. Depends how many people stay at once place for 10 years.... it is transferrable between employers in the Building trade for CFMEU members.

ABCD would probably know.
Are there any exemptions from this do you know Ozzie

For example are small firms exempt i.e. below a certain level of employees? Also are part timers exempt? What happens if a company changes hands during the ten years service i.e do the new owners have to honor the deal? And how many private companies last for over ten years?

Questions, questions

Come on ABC your wealth of knowledge and stats is required
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Come on ABC your wealth of knowledge and stats is required
Due to the state's transferring industrial relations powers to the Commonwealth from 1st January 2010, my info may not be up to date.
I will have to check before saying something that may be wrong, but my new Bayside site is taking my time at the moment, so, maybe tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.