Working hours in Australia

Working hours in Australia

Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:33 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working hours in Australia

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
however weekend working in UK is expected
Since when? Working weekends is industry specific. Working weekends in Oz is mandatory if you work in retail or other similar industry.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:58 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
.... ... walking around in a fog of cigarette smoke intermittently displaying your hairy midriff is not the best start ...
Why not, works for me
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:45 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Why not, works for me
Yes, but lap-dancing is a special case.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
And with a single post, Vim lost half his friends...

I`m just glad he is back
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:16 am
ABCDiamond

Between 1982 and 1994, the average hours worked by full-time workers increased from 42 to 45 hours per week, but has since dropped back to 44 hours per week in 2002.

Between 1985 and 2005, average weekly hours worked by all Australian workers declined slightly, from 35.8 hours to 34.7 hours. Over the same period average weekly hours worked by men declined from 39.7 hours to 39.3 hours and for women from 29.4 hours to 29.0 hours.

That covers 1982 to 2005

The latest figures are at:
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]?OpenDocument

Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:30 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Is the last chart supposed to match up to the quote above it?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

I must be one of the lucky ones then - I work a 35 hour week and get flex time if needs be - every weekend off - 20 days holidays plus two weeks over and above this for Christmas shutdown and all of the public holidays! OH came from heavy industry and he now works less hours for more money. Difference out in Australia is that you are more likely to be gauranteed the weather to do things which means you plan ahead even in the winter - most things you can do at little cost so all in all we have a better family life and more relaxed lifestyle out here than we did in the UK
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Is the last chart supposed to match up to the quote above it?
It was supposed to, but the quote refers to all workers, and the graph refers to Full time workers.

This should have been the quote that links to the 2nd graph
Average weekly hours for full-time workers increased from 40.2 hours to 41.9 hours between 1985 and 2005. This trend has been similar for both male and female full-time workers, with men's hours increasing 1.9 hours per week (to 43.2 hours) over the period, and women's increasing 1.7 hours per week (to 39.3 hours).
Festina lente. My old school motto. I must try to remember it.

Some more figures:
  • 12.6% of full time workers, work between 50 and 59 hours per week
  • 9.4% of full time workers, work 60 or more hours per week
  • 58.4% of full time workers, do 40 hours or less per week.

Average weekly hours worked:

All ; Employee ; Persons ; 36.3 hours per week
All ; Employee ; Male ; 40.6 hours per week
All ; Employee ; Female ; 31.3 hours per week

Full Time ; Employee ; Persons ; 43.2 hours per week
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]+2010

UK workers in full-time jobs put in an average of 41.4 hours every week
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7598467.stm

The average difference between UK and Australia is 1.8 hours that the average Australian does more.

Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:10 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The average difference between UK and Australia is 1.8 hours that the average Australian does more.
Wow, that's pretty telling considering one of the biggest reasons people move to Australia is to spend less time 'behind the desk' and more time with the family.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:22 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Wow, that's pretty telling considering one of the biggest reasons people move to Australia is to spend less time 'behind the desk' and more time with the family.
ah - but there more than just 'desk time' and 'family time' - what about 'commute time'?

If we look at 'desk time' + 'commute time' in both countries - who is left with the most 'family time'?

I offer no answers - merely questions! Personally I work more hours here than I ever did in UK (40 hours in office + 16 unpaid hours at home in evenings, weekends and public holidays vs a plain old 37 hours in UK), I get less holiday (and waste more of that holiday on aeroplanes and recovering from jetlag for longer to get anywhere), BUT I have a 10 minute commute at the moment which I would never have achieved in UK. Better? Who knows.... Just different.

If I could line up a UK job right now without saving up 3 years annual leave to go on an 'interview holiday' then I'd probably jump at the opportunity - just to get a change of scenery

Last edited by DadAgain; Apr 20th 2010 at 5:29 am.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:25 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by DadAgain
ah - but there more than just 'desk time' and 'family time' - what about 'commute time'?

If we look at 'desk time' + 'commute time' in both countries - who is left with the most 'family time'?

I offer no answers - merely questions! Personally I work more hours here than I ever did in UK, I get less holiday (and waste more of that holiday on aeroplanes and recovering from jetlag for longer to get anywhere), BUT I have a 10 minute commute at the moment which I would never have achieved in UK. Better? Who knows.... Just different.

If I could like up a UK job right now without saving up 3 years annual leave to go on an 'interview holiday' then I'd probably jump at the opportunity - just to get a change of scenery
My commute from Noarlunga to Adelaide is about 35-40mins each way.
My old commute up the M6 was about 25-35mins each way.

(I could have mentioned about accidents on the M6, but the same can be said about the Southern Expressway!)
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

My commute from Noarlunga to Adelaide is about 35-40mins each way.
My old commute up the M6 was about 25-35mins each way.

(I could have mentioned about accidents on the M6, but the same can be said about the Southern Expressway!)
My commute from Melbourne to Sydney takes about 4 hours door to door each way!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 11:30 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but lap-dancing is a special case.
Lap dancing, hairy midriff and smelling of cigs.

Top class
Old Apr 20th 2010, 11:38 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Lap dancing, hairy midriff and smelling of cigs.

Top class
It's a good night out in Newcastle.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:29 pm

It's a good night out in Newcastle.
why-i man - throw in a newky brown and we're laughin

Or is it "throw up" a newky brown

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.