Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working hours in Australia

Working hours in Australia

Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:38 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Working hours in Australia

Originally Posted by bcworld
I had a flexible benefits package in the UK...we could take maximum 7 weeks leave + public holidays.
Yeah, my old place allowed you to take up to 12 months unpaid - just in case you fancied a break.

A lot of people used it to have a feeler holiday in Oz, but I'm the only one to come out here.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:54 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Yeah, my old place allowed you to take up to 12 months unpaid - just in case you fancied a break.

A lot of people used it to have a feeler holiday in Oz, but I'm the only one to come out here.
Yup, 7 weeks wasn't enough - I had a 12 month sabbatical too - spent in Aus on a WHV.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
[*]USA: no mandatory entitlement; typical holiday entitlement is 15 days per year[/list]
My wife is an American and she does not know of anyone who has more than 10 days per year (and this usually includes any sick time) unless they have been with the same company for over 20 years. It was one of the reasons she came here to the UK instead of my moving to the US. She also never worked less than 60 hours per week but that was more her industry.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yup, 7 weeks wasn't enough - I had a 12 month sabbatical too - spent in Aus on a WHV.
Mine was 4 years....they wouldn't give me my job back
Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't say how long the Ozzies work. Mr No 15 (engineer) is working in an office in Brisbane and working on a humungous job here and yet there are no Ozzies on the job. Americans and Europeans mainly and a few Asians but no Australians. Funny that, isn't it.

(and yet the Ozzie government made it so damned hard to get a visa to work here even although the Ozzies themselves can't do the job)
Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
My wife is an American and she does not know of anyone who has more than 10 days per year (and this usually includes any sick time) unless they have been with the same company for over 20 years. It was one of the reasons she came here to the UK instead of my moving to the US. She also never worked less than 60 hours per week but that was more her industry.
US leave is bonkers. 10 days is just nuts.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 5:56 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

The job I had last year in Brisbane I worked 38 hours basic, OT as and when I felt like it.

The job I'm going to when we return is 38 hours basic, but working 42 hours with 2 RDO's a month. Some OT is expected but weekend work is optional.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:39 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
He won't need to if he's mr popularity mate
Jury is out on that too ... walking around in a fog of cigarette smoke intermittently displaying your hairy midriff is not the best start ...
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
I can't say how long the Ozzies work. Mr No 15 (engineer) is working in an office in Brisbane and working on a humungous job here and yet there are no Ozzies on the job. Americans and Europeans mainly and a few Asians but no Australians. Funny that, isn't it.

(and yet the Ozzie government made it so damned hard to get a visa to work here even although the Ozzies themselves can't do the job)
Engineering offices in Australia are like the United Nations.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Engineering offices in Australia are like the United Nations.
Ditto for I.T. in a lot of cases.

I'm currently working on a large project, I'd say no more than 10% of staff have an Aussie accent. Indians are very much in the majority, with more Brits, Pakistanis and other SE Asians than Aussies.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15

We don't produce engineers. We're too stoopid
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Not really true. I know of at least one group of engineering grads who are all working overseas. Pity they weren't encouraged to work here.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

jannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MDawson
I think I would , the world sounds very interesting to me...
If the world is that interesting to you, why do you spend so much of your time on this Australian thread whingeing about most Aussies and most of Australia? Much of which you haven't even visited firsthand yourself by the sounds of your previous posts. Go out there and see the world...then you can start whingeing about that aswell!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:33 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MDawson
I'm just saying that Australia isn't the relaxed laid back place that many prospective migrants think it is, they do have to work long long hours in Australia (in general I mean) I'm sure there are some that don't but in the main they have to put more hours in than most industrailised nations.

I agree with you MDawson. A laid back country Australia aint. It is however a nanny state and I think Australians like that. I haven't met a laid back Ozzie yet. I think they actually do like the rules. (I was driving a friend's car recently in the back of beyond and as I came to a very well defined T junction I positioned the car correctly to turn left. She went bananas because I didn't indicate! No traffic, correct road position!! They just want rules without even thinking about them)
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

My works alright. I'm getting paid for wasting time on this forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.