Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working holiday visa spending money?

Wikiposts

working holiday visa spending money?

Old May 26th 2003, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default working holiday visa spending money?

Hi was wondering if someone could give me info i am or planning to go on a working holiday visa start of next year for 12 months and im sure there is a rule i might be wrong that you cannot take over a certain amount of cash/money with you into that country.

As i will be going away for 1 year and maybe and maybe not work while there would best take lots of money to make sure i have good time and i dont run out.

I was apart from taking a credit card wondered if there was other ways i could take money and lots of it with me, i know of travellers cheques and i could take some of these but is there any cards or stuff like that i could load money into and then use it when over there.

The ideal thing would be to have an australian bank account and open one and put money into it before leaving uk but if i am correct you cannot open an australian bank account unless you have a pr visa and are moving there or if you are over there on your whv then can go to bank and open an account provided you give them an address.

The ideal thing would be for me to put money aside now in an account that i can use over there anybody know of such account and who with and where as said a credit card is the answer but i would rather not use that
Old May 26th 2003, 1:00 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bank accounts are really easy to open in Oz. Or at least they were before 9/11 and all that. All you had to do was make sure you opened one within 1-2 days of getting there - if you leave it any longer, it gets a bit more tricky.

I opened an account in Oz for the money I earned there to go into. I also used my Barclays current account card to withdraw the money I had saved up from home.
Old May 26th 2003, 6:01 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working holiday visa spending money?

On WHV you're only allowed to bring USD50 into Australia otherwise your visa can be cancelled. It's a condition to make you work from day 1. Maybe.

Cheers - Don

PS I'm not always sure of my facts though.

Originally posted by brian.w
Hi was wondering if someone could give me info i am or planning to go on a working holiday visa start of next year for 12 months and im sure there is a rule i might be wrong that you cannot take over a certain amount of cash/money with you into that country.

As i will be going away for 1 year and maybe and maybe not work while there would best take lots of money to make sure i have good time and i dont run out.

I was apart from taking a credit card wondered if there was other ways i could take money and lots of it with me, i know of travellers cheques and i could take some of these but is there any cards or stuff like that i could load money into and then use it when over there.

The ideal thing would be to have an australian bank account and open one and put money into it before leaving uk but if i am correct you cannot open an australian bank account unless you have a pr visa and are moving there or if you are over there on your whv then can go to bank and open an account provided you give them an address.

The ideal thing would be for me to put money aside now in an account that i can use over there anybody know of such account and who with and where as said a credit card is the answer but i would rather not use that
Old May 26th 2003, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
On WHV you're only allowed to bring USD50 into Australia otherwise your visa can be cancelled. It's a condition to make you work from day 1. Maybe.

Cheers - Don

PS I'm not always sure of my facts though.

where did you read this as i dont think this is true?

i have read you can if wished can work but its an option and as for usd of 50 you need to take enough to get you back home etc

im not sure where you got this info but i have not read about this anywhere
Old May 26th 2003, 6:10 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

where did you read this as i dont think this is true?

im not sure where you got this info but i have not read about this anywhere
I made it up.

Cheers - Don
Old May 26th 2003, 6:26 am
Badge

you need to show proof of 5,000 AUS when you arrive.

bank statement, even a blank credit card statement with 5000 AUS credit limit etc the more the better

i wasn't even asked though.

foprget travellers cheques - just use your VISA/DELTA card(s)- no charge apart from cash withdrawals - i got out lump sums as a result - say 300 bucks a time. sometimes you have to treat your VISA/DELTA debit card as a CREDIT card to get it to work in EFTPOS situaitons. say "CREDIT" eg when they swipe. the money then goes through the VISA system and then comes out your account a few days later.

yup - open aussie account for salary/wages - most backpackers are paid cash in hand though esp for labouring work - rate = 85-120 dollars a day..maybe more

it was hard on the girls who got shop/retail work as it was not cash in hand - barmaids found it hard - they were earning 6-10 an hour after tax!! some I met even got 7 before tax!!

the other thing i did was open a LLoyds TSB offshore aussie dollar account on the isle of man - transferred 5,000 there and was prepared to show that to the migration people. i did it cos i got 3 dollars to the pound.

reminds me of the song the barmy army sing

("we've got 3 dollars to the pound" sung to the tune of "he's got the whole world in his hands")

I then wired it over to the aussie account once it was open.

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; May 26th 2003 at 6:33 am.

Old May 26th 2003, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

We found it real easy to open an account in Oz when we were on a WHV last year. You have to give an address though in Australia, we just gave the hostel address we were at at the time and it was no bother.
We used the account to get our wages paid into when we did a bit of work.

The best thing we did was open a Nationwide Flexaccount. This is a visa debit card so you can draw money all over the world without any bank charges.

And of course like you we took a visa card - no chance we were going to come back regretting not doing anything or going anywhere cause we were short of a few bob!

Anyway good luck and have a great time! Where abouts in Scotland are you by the way?