Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working holiday visa jobs

working holiday visa jobs

Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all
Default working holiday visa jobs

Hello,

I will be coming over to Perth in November on a Working Holiday Visa and will be seekng employment with a hope to secure a permanent job. Can I ask how easy it is to secure work when I get over here on the visa that I have?

Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:29 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working holiday visa jobs

What type of employment are you looking for?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

Ideally it would be in the media field as I am a journalist in the UK, however, I am open to other areas of employment, but I do not know which professions are in demand etc?

Cheers,

Jen
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Hello,

I will be coming over to Perth in November on a Working Holiday Visa and will be seekng employment with a hope to secure a permanent job. Can I ask how easy it is to secure work when I get over here on the visa that I have?

Thanks
You're only supposed to work for a maximum of 6 months with an individual employer if you're on a WHV, so it's not easy. Most people on WHVs just do backpacker-type or temp jobs as employers are aware of their limitations.

You'd probably need to find a temp job initially, do such a fantastic job whilst there and hope that your employer is prepared to go through the hassle of having to sponsor you for a temp visa at the end of your six months.

Frankly it's a long shot. You'd be better off applying for a normal skilled visa at the start.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Ideally it would be in the media field as I am a journalist in the UK, however, I am open to other areas of employment, but I do not know which professions are in demand etc?

Cheers,

Jen
Hi Jen,
I am a journalist/sub-editor and came out on a working holiday visa in 2005.
If you have any subbing experience and are prepared to do that you shouldn't have too much trouble securing some casual shifts. Just try all the papers in whatever area you're heading to.
During my year I managed to get work as a Communications Officer for Queensland Government (three-month contract), as an editor for the company doing the Commonwealth Games website in Melbourne and as a sub-editor with a company in Melbourne who are now sponsoring me on a 457 visa!
Just contact as many papers/media agencies/mags as you can. It's not a bad industry for finding freelancing work so you shouldn't have too much trouble - it can be difficult getting companies to sponsor you long-term but a lot of them are happy for the additional help on a freelance/casual basis.
Good luck!
Dianne
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: working holiday visa jobs

Hello Dianne,

Thankyou so much for your reply. It is great to hear from a fellow journalist whois already in Oz.

Is the best thing to start emailing mags/papers/ agencies etc well in advance to my arrival ( I am planning to come over in November?)

Do you know what other media related jobs may be easier to secure while over in Oz as I have not been hearing much positive response about securing a job in journalism?

Thanks again,

Jen