Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working holiday visa help? (417)

working holiday visa help? (417)

Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all
Default working holiday visa help? (417)

Hello,

Me and my boyfriend and coming to Oz in December on working holiday visas with a view to settle in the country if we can find jobs etc.

Have many people have gone to Oz and managed to find work where they could stay in the country and not have to come home at the end of the 12 months?

Many thanks,

Jen
x
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:40 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working holiday visa help? (417)

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Hello,

Me and my boyfriend and coming to Oz in December on working holiday visas with a view to settle in the country if we can find jobs etc.

Have many people have gone to Oz and managed to find work where they could stay in the country and not have to come home at the end of the 12 months?

Many thanks,

Jen
x
Hello

My husband is Kiwi and the law changed in 2001, so that he could not take permanent jobs in Australia, only temp. I am British (and on a WHV). We lived in Darwin Australia, where my husband worked for the Government. He worked on a temp contract which they kept renewing, but towards the end of my visa, they offered my husband a permanent position (and would sort out our visas). As it happened, we decided not to take the offer and left, but its very rare that those opportunities present themselves because its very tough going for employers to prove that your skills are worth denying an Australian the job for. Have you been together for a few years with proof of your relationship (rental agreements, bills, etc?). This way if one of you gets offered a job, the other can tag onto their visa. Are both of you educated in fields that are required in Australia? I'm afraid I don't know as much about the process because we're moving back to NZ, so I can only share with you my experiences and those of people I met along the way.

I really hope it works out for you,

All the best x
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am a journalist and my partner is a carpenter. Hi job is in demand, however, as my job is more unpredictable, I am prepared to do other work.

We have been together 14 months, but havent had a place of our own in the UK - so we will only start renting together as soon as we in Oz?

Cheers,

Jen
x
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:01 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am a journalist and my partner is a carpenter. Hi job is in demand, however, as my job is more unpredictable, I am prepared to do other work.

We have been together 14 months, but havent had a place of our own in the UK - so we will only start renting together as soon as we in Oz?

Cheers,

Jen
x
Hiya

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you'd have to have been together for two years before you can qualify for a visa as a couple, have you got any joint bank accounts, shared car insurance, etc? Obviously these things you can check out on the website, have you checked this site out...http://www.immi.gov.au/ also look into jobs for you both on websites and see if they're willing to recruit either of you without already having arranged a visa.

I'm sorry I can't be any more help, but I hope something here is of use to you!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough

Hi Jen,
You're lucky you can enter on the working holiday visa as most people dont get the opportunity to test the water as they're over 30.

If you like it over there and your boyfriend agrees, you can apply for the skilled migration visa in Australia and since you will have lived together for 12 months you can join him on the visa as a spouse....no problemo
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:05 pm
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by bagspacked
Hi Jen,
You're lucky you can enter on the working holiday visa as most people dont get the opportunity to test the water as they're over 30.

If you like it over there and your boyfriend agrees, you can apply for the skilled migration visa in Australia and since you will have lived together for 12 months you can join him on the visa as a spouse....no problemo
They haven't lived together for a year, that's the only problem. For NZ its two years, are you sure its not the same for Aussie?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough

Hi Littletoe,
It is 12 months for Australia
Cheers
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks both - that has eased my mind. Just need to save up lots of money now!! Roll on December

Cheers,

Jen
x