Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working holiday visa and the current economic situation

Working holiday visa and the current economic situation

Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Default Working holiday visa and the current economic situation

Evening everyone (or good morning if you are in Aus) ,

I am a long time lurker but first time poster on these parts of the BE forums.

I have been reading with interest the recent posts about the deteriorating economic prospects in Aus. However I have found that most of these posts are by people with skilled trades who want to permanently emigrate to Aus.

My query is more to do with the prospects for temp visitors. I would like to do the typical young person’s trip – I am sure you have heard it all before – 1 year, backpack, working holiday visa etc.

I have seen the recent posts on here with other travelling relating queries. However I have done the travelling thing before and have read all of the guide books so all I really want to know is about the job prospects.

Please excuse the new thread but it is a big part of my planning. I need to work for both the income that it provides and the opportunity to meet new people. It would be good if this thread could become a focus point for all backpackers and their employment related queries/ plans!

I have friends who have mentioned the fruit picking work that is available. However I don’t want to spend all of my time in the arse end of nowhere – I want to see some of the city’s and the culture that goes with them.

Can anybody shed some light on the current situation? I have read stories on here of skilled people with 20 years + experience being unable to get jobs in the local supermarket stacking shelves . Am I likely to get a job? Any job? Should I put off going to Aus for a couple of years to allow things to recover?

Any other help, advice or comments would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Mark

Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Working holiday visa and the current economic situation

Hi,

You can apply for the WHV until your 31st birthday, unless they changed the rules.

I was in Oz 2 years ago so I can't help with current knowledge
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with lots of people on here applying for jobs like supermarket work is they think that person is over qualified.
Here in Adelaide there are the fruit picking, as well as working at shows and festivals when they are on, and there are quite a lot here.
Do you already work in a field which you might be able to work in here? You could also have some luck there.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
The problem with lots of people on here applying for jobs like supermarket work is they think that person is over qualified.
Here in Adelaide there are the fruit picking, as well as working at shows and festivals when they are on, and there are quite a lot here.
Do you already work in a field which you might be able to work in here? You could also have some luck there.
Thanks for your reply.

I am at uni at the moment and due to graduate this year.

I work in a call centre at the moment.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Well there are plenty of call centre jobs looking for casual staff. Good luck
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Try this site. http://www.helpx.net
Its a work exchange scheme aimed at backpackers travelling from overseas.
Few hours work in exchange for accommodation and food.
Good way of seeing Australia and meeting people I would think.
A lot of the places are farms etc mind you but not all.
If you fancy an Ozzie outback experience there seems to be loads of cattle stations..
Not sure about the city/cultural experience though!