Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa - Criminal Record

Working Holiday Visa - Criminal Record

Old Jul 5th 2018, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

SShinichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Visa - Criminal Record

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum so sorry If the answer to this question is deep in old threads but I guess no two cases are the same either!

I've recently graduated University and planning to go travelling with my good friend December/January time and have been looking into working Holiday Visas. The issue for me is that I do have a Criminal Record for Assault occasioning ABH (I'm from the UK) which is now spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 2014 - I was sentenced to a Community Order and a fine in court - it took place in 2016 - so it's not very old but is now spent under that law (which applies to the UK).

My query today is really what my options are realistically when it comes to applying for Working Holiday Visas.

I've taken a long look at Australia, from the entry requirements I believe I meet them, I served no prison time and the conviction is now spent and wouldn't classify as something that disproves good character. I also did some research into New Zealand and I believe this to be a similar situation as I pass the good character test (on the basis of the website entry requirements).

Another option my friend wants to take a look at is Canada - Now from what I'm aware they go off of the 1974 Act which states a conviction isn't deemed spent for 10 years and then you are deemed rehabilitated - You can however apply for rehabilitation if you're not accepted through the ETA but I'm just not sure what there stance is. I thought that since I've not re-offended in the time (even though Inno it's a short period) since and have gone on to graduate and complete my order I may be able to discuss being rehabilitated (may be slim inno)

I'm also getting told by a visa company it's worth just applying to see what they say (they're obviously just trying to make a quick book out of me - £330 for their fees and then the obvious £150 for government fees on top makes it an expensive gamble) considering trying it direct to cut costs but thought I'd do some research first.

I wanted to just reach out to some people on here to see if any are more knowledgable than myself on the situation - I've tried to contact the embassies however they never seem to answer

I suppose my main questions would be;

1, Am I correct on the way Australian and New Zealand visas work and on face value at least be eligible?

2, Has anyone any knowledge of the Canadian process for rehabilitation and do you believe it would be worth making an application?

3, Are there any other countries I should take a look at in terms of working holiday possibilities and any I should be wary or avoid with my current situation?

I appreciate any and all help, and fully understand my situation isn't Ideal. Following that I respect that I made a mistake and have to deal with the consequences and have been completely forthcoming in the post to try and get the clearest information possible so please feel free to be honest.

Thanks for taking the time to read through
Old Jul 6th 2018, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa - Criminal Record

Have you read this?
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/char
Old Jul 6th 2018, 1:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa - Criminal Record

The only thing I will add to my previous comments is that I would select a country you wish to go to first and then check whether you are eligible. If you have no particular preference then it’s more difficult for members to give you specific advice.