Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working holiday Visa - confused nurse. Any help welcome :)

Working holiday Visa - confused nurse. Any help welcome :)

Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Nurse Becky is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Working holiday Visa - confused nurse. Any help welcome :)

Hi I'm coming over to Perth in November on a Working holiday visa hoping to work as a nurse while I'm out there and would just like some clarification on a few things

I've been informed I need a medical assesment and X-ray before I can work in the hospitals however I'm unsure as to where to start this process? My doctors have said I need the paperwork off immigration however I cannot find this online?.

Will myself and my partner be able to rent a house while we're there or are there restrictions on this due to the temporary visa?

I've got all of the paperwork to apply for the Nursing and Midwifery board would it be advisable to have the medical before or after this applications?

Thank you kindly for any advice
Becky
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday Visa - confused nurse. Any help welcome :)

Originally Posted by Nurse Becky
Hi I'm coming over to Perth in November on a Working holiday visa hoping to work as a nurse while I'm out there and would just like some clarification on a few things

I've been informed I need a medical assesment and X-ray before I can work in the hospitals however I'm unsure as to where to start this process? My doctors have said I need the paperwork off immigration however I cannot find this online?.

Will myself and my partner be able to rent a house while we're there or are there restrictions on this due to the temporary visa?

I've got all of the paperwork to apply for the Nursing and Midwifery board would it be advisable to have the medical before or after this applications?

Thank you kindly for any advice
Becky
first thing to look at is whether you can register with AHPRA, as they are slow and so if you can do it before you get here thats advisable.

Re the medical - if you apply for a WHV they will not normally ask for a medical so i would advise checking with the hospital or agency that you are approaching. Who gave you the info about needing a medical?

You are presumably aware that you can only do 6 months with one employer?

And yes you cam rent somewhere as long as the agent is happy to take you on. There is no rule that says WHV holders can't rent a house
Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

velutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you need a medical for working in a hospital or as a teacher , its not a requirement for the whv so you can do it later when you get a job offer and its cheaper to do in oz , I think my sister payed like 300 dollars in Perth, I payed 380 pounds in Glasgow, the paper work should be around just Google panel doctors paperwork , my sister did the aphra reg fine but o.t reg is harder but its finding a job that will supervise you that's the problem till registered as a nurse locally , I don't know if nurses have to be supervised for 6 months like she has to for occupational therapy, she ended up getting two jobs as a support worker so that might be easier to get as more temporary.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
first thing to look at is whether you can register with AHPRA, as they are slow and so if you can do it before you get here thats advisable.

Re the medical - if you apply for a WHV they will not normally ask for a medical so i would advise checking with the hospital or agency that you are approaching. Who gave you the info about needing a medical?

You are presumably aware that you can only do 6 months with one employer?

And yes you cam rent somewhere as long as the agent is happy to take you on. There is no rule that says WHV holders can't rent a house
Thank you for your reply
It says on the immigration website anyone working in health care needs a Chest X-ray and Medical from their doctors.

I am aware of the 6 months rule I had heard this could be bypassed if working for agency's? I didn't want to try and apply for a hospital until I was actually over there so I know where we are living. We're staying with friends for a few weeks to begin with.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by velutch
Yes you need a medical for working in a hospital or as a teacher , its not a requirement for the whv so you can do it later when you get a job offer and its cheaper to do in oz , I think my sister payed like 300 dollars in Perth, I payed 380 pounds in Glasgow, the paper work should be around just Google panel doctors paperwork , my sister did the aphra reg fine but o.t reg is harder but its finding a job that will supervise you that's the problem till registered as a nurse locally , I don't know if nurses have to be supervised for 6 months like she has to for occupational therapy, she ended up getting two jobs as a support worker so that might be easier to get as more temporary.
Thank you for your reply
I haven't read anywhere about needing to be supervised for 6months?. Is there anywhere I could read up on this that you know of?.
Do you know how long it would take to get a medical over there?. As I wouldn't want to be out of work for too long.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 6:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I am aware of the 6 months rule I had heard this could be bypassed if working for agency's?
No, this is still against the rules if you are in the same job. I'd guess if you were an agency nurse it would be quite easy to avoid the 6 month limitation. but you couldn't hold the same job in the same hospital for 7 months simply by going through an agency or agencies.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 10:32 am
Just Joined

velutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply
I haven't read anywhere about needing to be supervised for 6months?. Is there anywhere I could read up on this that you know of?.
Do you know how long it would take to get a medical over there?. As I wouldn't want to be out of work for too long.
I thought it might be for other medical jobs aswell ie higher risk, i am sure there must be some nurses on this site that can give some definit info,

she got a appointment for a medical in a week you can do it while waiting on interviews which might take weeks,

hospitals might also not be keen on employing someone for a short period of time but you never know agencies might have temp jobs.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 10:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by velutch
I thought it might be for other medical jobs aswell ie higher risk, i am sure there must be some nurses on this site that can give some definit info,

she got a appointment for a medical in a week you can do it while waiting on interviews which might take weeks,

hospitals might also not be keen on employing someone for a short period of time but you never know agencies might have temp jobs.
I#ve only seent he 6 month supervision requirement in connection with Midwives. Have a look through our Nursing forum and post a thread on there