Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa & beyond

Working Holiday Visa & beyond

Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

amylaurenhepple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Visa & beyond

Hi All,

So i've spoken to a migration agent briefly today about my options for a Visa and i'm on the Short Skill list but he said i have to have an offer of employment/sponsorship from an employer to become a skilled worker. Tasmania and QLD are sponsoring. Hes told me the likelihood of getting an offer from the UK is 5% so has advised me to go on a Working Holiday Visa and try and get an offer that way. In my line of work the cities have the most opportunities and i said this to him and he said I can look in the cities too for a employer sponsor.

Is this doable? Can i go on a whv and get sponsored? Or am i doomed to a life in the UK? I have friends who have done it and never come back but everyone seems so negative about it.

Also on whv my partner turns 30 in October. Can he still apply? Is it 30 inclusive? If he did get one for a year and wanted to extend by doing the specific work would he still be allowed if hes turned 31 on the whv?

Any help or advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2017, 9:43 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa & beyond

It would help if you told us what your profession is - sponsorship are less likely than in years past, but not impossible in some types of jobs.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can get the WHV until you turn 31. But, no, you cannot get the second year if you have turned 31. All this is clearly stated on the 417 page on border.gov.au.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you be "doomed" to a life in the UK? Australia is just another first world country and it's not like the UK is Syria or Afghanistan!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can go on a WHV and then be sponsored for a visa by your employer in order to stay. No guarantees this will happen but there's no immigration rule to block you from doing this.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You can try, but getting sponsorship is not easy. Not every employer can sponsor, then even if they can, many won't, then, not every position can be sponsored. So, if you do go on a WHV it is important you treat it for what it is. A holiday. Then, even if you did gain sponsorship, the chances are it would only be a temporary visa.

I am also curious about why you think you are "doomed". Australia is just another country. Same issues as the UK, roughly the same pluses and negatives. I have lived in 13 countries including eight years in Australia, I am perfectly happy living in the UK.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:48 am
Just Joined

amylaurenhepple is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your responses.
I'm an Assistant Underwriter for high net worth individuals, personal lines.

I figured that much about the 31 thing, i know they've tightened up most visa options recently so its alot harder than it has been in the past.

As for my comment about being doomed in the UK, apologies if ive offended anyone because its a first world country and they're is much worse in the world thats true, but thats how i feel. I've never really liked it hereand its going more and more downhill over the years. I know they say the grass isnt always greener but for me it is. Its Overcrowded and overpopulated. Just looking at the housing crisis and the state of the traffic on our roads reaffirms that. I dont know you may disagree with me and if i offend anyone I apologise. But i'm just tired of everything here. Ive wanted to emigrate since i knew that was an option. Thats always been the long term goal. I just don't have anything in common with this country anymore and i want and need a change. I'll do whatever it takes to change it. I wish i felt as happy as some of you do living here but its just not for me.

I understand the sponsorship option is a long shot but i need to try.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If it's any help DIBP is considering extending the age limit to 35.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amylaurenhepple
I figured that much about the 31 thing, i know they've tightened up most visa options recently so its alot harder than it has been in the past.
Not really. In the not too distant past there was no such thing a second year WHV and the work limitation was 3 months, not 6. So the WHV has never been more flexible.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 10:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amylaurenhepple
Hi All,

So i've spoken to a migration agent briefly today about my options for a Visa and i'm on the Short Skill list but he said i have to have an offer of employment/sponsorship from an employer to become a skilled worker. Tasmania and QLD are sponsoring. Hes told me the likelihood of getting an offer from the UK is 5% so has advised me to go on a Working Holiday Visa and try and get an offer that way. In my line of work the cities have the most opportunities and i said this to him and he said I can look in the cities too for a employer sponsor.

Is this doable? Can i go on a whv and get sponsored? Or am i doomed to a life in the UK? I have friends who have done it and never come back but everyone seems so negative about it.

Also on whv my partner turns 30 in October. Can he still apply? Is it 30 inclusive? If he did get one for a year and wanted to extend by doing the specific work would he still be allowed if hes turned 31 on the whv?

Any help or advice would be helpful.
Thanks
I have a friend who went from WHV to 457 to PR to citizen so it can be done

Australia though, like many other western countries, is making immigration harder to get all the time. Just go into this knowing the temporary nature of things and how the rules and regs can change, literally, overnight

Good luck
Old Jul 14th 2017, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The advice you have received, sounds very reasonable.

Australia has its problems - I love it here but don't come with rose-tinted glasses.

Queensland and Tasmania are both very good options. Tasmania is fabulous if you can handle the isolation. On a WHV you can't stay in the same place so you can give both a whirl.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 12:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by carcajou
On a WHV you can't stay in the same place
Why not?
Old Jul 14th 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Why not?
You are correct as I phrased this incorrectly - six months with one employer, not six months in one place. In my mind as I typed that I was thinking "2 sponsors so that works out nicely for 6 months to scout Tasmania, 6 months to scout Queensland." OP can work for the same employer for 12 months provided it is in two different locations.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I have a friend who went from WHV to 457 to PR to citizen so it can be done

Australia though, like many other western countries, is making immigration harder to get all the time. Just go into this knowing the temporary nature of things and how the rules and regs can change, literally, overnight

Good luck
It certainly can be done, just not by everyone.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 1:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It certainly can be done, just not by everyone.
And not so much now as years back. Things were different in the old days....... However it can't be done at all if you don't try!