British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Working Holiday Visa & beyond (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/working-holiday-visa-beyond-899562/)

amylaurenhepple Jul 13th 2017 1:44 pm

Working Holiday Visa & beyond

Hi All,

So i've spoken to a migration agent briefly today about my options for a Visa and i'm on the Short Skill list but he said i have to have an offer of employment/sponsorship from an employer to become a skilled worker. Tasmania and QLD are sponsoring. Hes told me the likelihood of getting an offer from the UK is 5% so has advised me to go on a Working Holiday Visa and try and get an offer that way. In my line of work the cities have the most opportunities and i said this to him and he said I can look in the cities too for a employer sponsor.

Is this doable? Can i go on a whv and get sponsored? Or am i doomed to a life in the UK? I have friends who have done it and never come back but everyone seems so negative about it.

Also on whv my partner turns 30 in October. Can he still apply? Is it 30 inclusive? If he did get one for a year and wanted to extend by doing the specific work would he still be allowed if hes turned 31 on the whv?

Any help or advice would be helpful.

goldchoccycoin Jul 13th 2017 9:43 pm

Re: Working Holiday Visa & beyond

It would help if you told us what your profession is - sponsorship are less likely than in years past, but not impossible in some types of jobs.

bcworld Jul 13th 2017 10:48 pm

Yes, you can get the WHV until you turn 31. But, no, you cannot get the second year if you have turned 31. All this is clearly stated on the 417 page on border.gov.au.

Dorothy Jul 13th 2017 10:55 pm

Why would you be "doomed" to a life in the UK? Australia is just another first world country and it's not like the UK is Syria or Afghanistan!

BritInParis Jul 13th 2017 10:57 pm

You can go on a WHV and then be sponsored for a visa by your employer in order to stay. No guarantees this will happen but there's no immigration rule to block you from doing this.

verystormy Jul 14th 2017 4:52 am

You can try, but getting sponsorship is not easy. Not every employer can sponsor, then even if they can, many won't, then, not every position can be sponsored. So, if you do go on a WHV it is important you treat it for what it is. A holiday. Then, even if you did gain sponsorship, the chances are it would only be a temporary visa.

I am also curious about why you think you are "doomed". Australia is just another country. Same issues as the UK, roughly the same pluses and negatives. I have lived in 13 countries including eight years in Australia, I am perfectly happy living in the UK.

amylaurenhepple Jul 14th 2017 7:48 am

Thanks for all your responses.
I'm an Assistant Underwriter for high net worth individuals, personal lines.

I figured that much about the 31 thing, i know they've tightened up most visa options recently so its alot harder than it has been in the past.

As for my comment about being doomed in the UK, apologies if ive offended anyone because its a first world country and they're is much worse in the world thats true, but thats how i feel. I've never really liked it hereand its going more and more downhill over the years. I know they say the grass isnt always greener but for me it is. Its Overcrowded and overpopulated. Just looking at the housing crisis and the state of the traffic on our roads reaffirms that. I dont know you may disagree with me and if i offend anyone I apologise. But i'm just tired of everything here. Ive wanted to emigrate since i knew that was an option. Thats always been the long term goal. I just don't have anything in common with this country anymore and i want and need a change. I'll do whatever it takes to change it. I wish i felt as happy as some of you do living here but its just not for me.

I understand the sponsorship option is a long shot but i need to try.

BritInParis Jul 14th 2017 8:14 am

If it's any help DIBP is considering extending the age limit to 35.

bcworld Jul 14th 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by amylaurenhepple (Post 12294265)
I figured that much about the 31 thing, i know they've tightened up most visa options recently so its alot harder than it has been in the past.

Not really. In the not too distant past there was no such thing a second year WHV and the work limitation was 3 months, not 6. So the WHV has never been more flexible.

Amazulu Jul 14th 2017 10:43 am

Originally Posted by amylaurenhepple (Post 12293593)
Hi All,

So i've spoken to a migration agent briefly today about my options for a Visa and i'm on the Short Skill list but he said i have to have an offer of employment/sponsorship from an employer to become a skilled worker. Tasmania and QLD are sponsoring. Hes told me the likelihood of getting an offer from the UK is 5% so has advised me to go on a Working Holiday Visa and try and get an offer that way. In my line of work the cities have the most opportunities and i said this to him and he said I can look in the cities too for a employer sponsor.

Is this doable? Can i go on a whv and get sponsored? Or am i doomed to a life in the UK? I have friends who have done it and never come back but everyone seems so negative about it.

Also on whv my partner turns 30 in October. Can he still apply? Is it 30 inclusive? If he did get one for a year and wanted to extend by doing the specific work would he still be allowed if hes turned 31 on the whv?

Any help or advice would be helpful.

I have a friend who went from WHV to 457 to PR to citizen so it can be done

Australia though, like many other western countries, is making immigration harder to get all the time. Just go into this knowing the temporary nature of things and how the rules and regs can change, literally, overnight

Good luck

carcajou Jul 14th 2017 10:48 am

The advice you have received, sounds very reasonable.

Australia has its problems - I love it here but don't come with rose-tinted glasses.

Queensland and Tasmania are both very good options. Tasmania is fabulous if you can handle the isolation. On a WHV you can't stay in the same place so you can give both a whirl.

bcworld Jul 14th 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12294371)
On a WHV you can't stay in the same place

Why not?

carcajou Jul 14th 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12294458)
Why not?

You are correct as I phrased this incorrectly - six months with one employer, not six months in one place. In my mind as I typed that I was thinking "2 sponsors so that works out nicely for 6 months to scout Tasmania, 6 months to scout Queensland." OP can work for the same employer for 12 months provided it is in two different locations.

Pollyana Jul 14th 2017 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12294366)
I have a friend who went from WHV to 457 to PR to citizen so it can be done

Australia though, like many other western countries, is making immigration harder to get all the time. Just go into this knowing the temporary nature of things and how the rules and regs can change, literally, overnight

Good luck

It certainly can be done, just not by everyone.

moneypenny20 Jul 14th 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12294482)
It certainly can be done, just not by everyone.

And not so much now as years back. Things were different in the old days....... However it can't be done at all if you don't try! ;)