Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa Australia

Working Holiday Visa Australia

Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Harewoodwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Visa Australia

Hi

Im thinking of Applying for a WHV and travelling Australia for the year or as long as i can lost regarding money etc. It feels to me big/daunting and scary when you've no one to talk to you about it or answer your questions. Hence This post. There are a few questions i have so if they are answered thankyou in advance.

Ive my level 2 in basic plumbing and heating (Dont have my gas) Could i find plumbing work with this anywhere in Australia? Im thinking of starting up in Cairns and working my way down... Also ive read up on working on the farms? I know ill have to work and dont mind working just worried about initially finding it.

To take with me ill have roughly around £5000 ive heard australia is very expensive though and this wont go along away hence why ill need to work.

Accommodation, The hostels are they safe and the cheapest option and any views on these very welcome,,, also free camping in places?

Your views on the farm work and is it easy enough to find it/ get work.

If theres any thing else you think i should know please tell me, im just weighing up the options at the minute as its a big thing.. Also im looking at going in August if i do go as im best man at wedding in July im also 24 and going alone.. Thankyou very much in advance

Will
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah7263 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa Australia

Hi Will,

I say go for it!! We are currently living and working in Melbourne so a bit of a different story but I often think about packing up and travelling around for a year!

I can help you with some of the questions but not all......
The hostels out here are really good. We've stayed in the YHA in Adelaide, Canberra and Hobart and I've always been impressed at how clean and safe they are. I'm even taking my parents to the Cape Tribulation YHA when they come out in a few weeks so I would definitely recommend them! The one in Adelaide had some adverts for if you tidied the kitchen at nights you could stay there for free so that's always an option too!! The YHAs are roughly $30 ish per night and they are located all over Australia, they have good cooking facilities so you can have cheap meals in plus you will meet heaps of people. We have stayed in some other hostels but none as good!

Can't help you much about the plumbing work but I think there are specific websites to find the farm work - picking grapes at vineyards counts as farm work i think so if u wanted to stay for a second year that would be my choice!

Australia is expensive and to be honest I'm not sure £5,000 would be enough but just stick to a budget, know where you want to go and I'm sure you'll be fine!

My only other piece of advice would be to pick your route to match the seasons - north Queensland isn't fantastic in the Oz summer but melbourne/ Sydney/ Adelaide are and Melbourne is not particularly nice in July/ August but Cairns/ Brisbane will be!!

Hope that helps, good luck on deciding your adventure!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes it's better to travel alone Will- you'll force yourself to chat more to others & vice versa. I know kids who've gone out on less; as long as you are willing to pick up work as you go you'll be fine.There's McDonald's everywhere if all else fails! They always need staff. If you want to extend your visa into a 2nd year make sure you do your 3 months of Specified Work- the list is quite extensive now- google it. You'll make friends/contacts as soon as you get there- go for it
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campervanfan
Sometimes it's better to travel alone Will- you'll force yourself to chat more to others & vice versa. I know kids who've gone out on less; as long as you are willing to pick up work as you go you'll be fine.There's McDonald's everywhere if all else fails! They always need staff. If you want to extend your visa into a 2nd year make sure you do your 3 months of Specified Work- the list is quite extensive now- google it. You'll make friends/contacts as soon as you get there- go for it
Fantastic advice from Sarah and CVF, Will. My 19 year old nephew is half way through his WHV year, and he's having the time of his life. He stayed with family for the first month, but we haven't seen him since, he's too busy travelling around the country! He's travelling on his own too, but has met up with tons of other WHV people and is having an absolute ball.

With the money you're bringing over, and the bits and bobs of jobs you'll pick up, you'll be fine. Good luck and enjoy the planning!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Harewoodwill is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow Sarah campervan and Spouse thankyou so much for taking your time and replying. As i posted this the other day i spoke to a friend on facebook who had moved out to perth and he said if i were to come out travelling and places short term he said not to bother with the plumbing as i would have to get licence's and possibly re train to change my UK Cert's to Aus so im legal to do so he said just do backpacker work and farm/regional etc..So if you all think its easy enough for me to find work that was my biggest worry.. Thanks guys I best get planning then )) thanks again will
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harewoodwill
Wow Sarah campervan and Spouse thankyou so much for taking your time and replying. As i posted this the other day i spoke to a friend on facebook who had moved out to perth and he said if i were to come out travelling and places short term he said not to bother with the plumbing as i would have to get licence's and possibly re train to change my UK Cert's to Aus so im legal to do so he said just do backpacker work and farm/regional etc..So if you all think its easy enough for me to find work that was my biggest worry.. Thanks guys I best get planning then )) thanks again will
You probably already know this Will, but the entire State of South Australia qualifies as regional employment. If you're starting off in Perth, you can hop over the border into SA and do 3 months there, then you're good to apply for an extra year WHV. From South Australia, you can move on to the places WHV travellers seem to love the most, Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast

My nephew had no trouble at all finding work. He's done fruit picking, door to door and telephone selling, and fast food outlet work. There's a publication called Gumtree where WHV people advertise for work - I got a lad from the UK to do some painting this way. He painted the entire outside of the house (guttering, patio, downpipes and trims), it was the best $1,000 I've ever spent. Mind you, my husband thought I was daft because I kept feeding him and giving him lifts back to his backpacker accommodation :-)

I wish I'd done something like this when I was young!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Apr 19th 2013 at 2:32 pm.