Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working holiday visa?

working holiday visa?

Old Dec 13th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default working holiday visa?

Hi guys.

I'm self employed - work from home. Most of my work is done via email. If I was to go to aus for 3 months or so would I still need a working holiday visa? As my tax would go through the uk, my clients would be in the uk, just me and my laptop won't be?

Cheers everyone,
Old Dec 13th 2007, 4:20 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice
Default Re: working holiday visa?

I am not totally clued up on visa's and i am sure there will be someone along soon that can advise you better but my understanding of the working visa is to allow you to work in Australia for a company based in Australia paying tax in Australia. If you were there on a long holiday and chose to send some emails that would surely not come under working in Australia
I would have thought you would be fine on a normal visiting visa, working would be your choice but like i say someone will probably be able to advise you better.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for your reply, kinda thought that would be the case myself. But just after confirmation.

Just getting so fed up of living here. I know I can't get a skilled visa for another few years, and I think I need a degree (only have hnd), so I will have to top that up before I can apply unless they change the visa rules again. But I will probably see about topping it up in uni at Oz - at least I will get a year or 2 there, then can apply.

How are you getting on with trying to get away from the constant drizzle?

Thanks again,
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:34 am
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

Not brilliantly
we can't get a skilled visa so are hoping to get an emloyer sponsored one. We have just been out there and two companies are interested in taking my husband on, one with a temp visa who has done it many times and one is happy to do a perm but has no idea about how to do it so at the mo we are in a bit of limbo waiting for him to look into it all.
Meanwhile we have to do a fair bit of work on the house before we sell it and are now skint after spending all our money on our holiday

But, with abit of determination i'm sure we'll get there eventually.......wish we could just pick up our laptop
Go for it and have fun
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lol, wish it was as easy as pick up laptop and go - it is for a holiday, but not long term. I'm only 22, and been self employed for almost a year now. . . think I need 4 or 5 years experience first :'( plus I may need a degree - I only have HND. So unless the rules change in the next 4 years, I think I will try and get into a uni over there and upgrade to a degree which will hopefully only take a year, two max - but it would be living, working, and studying there! With kids in tow!

My partner is worried about what if he doesn't like it there which doesn't help, but I guess we're best visiting first soon. . . just driving myself mad over here. I'm sure I suffer from that seasonal adjustment disorder . . . every winter (and all last summer) I get so depressed and find getting wrapped up to go outside for very little or no reason isn't worth the hassle.

Good luck with the employer sponsored visa - thats another thought i've had, just to go over there and try to make contacts.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo!
I am not totally clued up on visa's and i am sure there will be someone along soon that can advise you better but my understanding of the working visa is to allow you to work in Australia for a company based in Australia paying tax in Australia. If you were there on a long holiday and chose to send some emails that would surely not come under working in Australia
....the nature of the working holiday visa is that the work is incidental to the travel so it's not really the case that you should be paying tax in Australia - some will come on a WHV and not do a shred of work.

If the work that you are doing is based purely in the UK and you are earning money in the UK I don't see an issue with you continuing to work remotely. Are you considering a WHV simply so you can stay longer than 3 months? If you think it will be less than 3 months then just come on a normal ETA. Even if it's more you could always hop over to NZ and then get another ETA if you wanted to 'save' the WHV for later.

I could be completely wrong about all of this as well though and you'd end up getting deported so I'd seek some more advice!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:03 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo!
I would have thought you would be fine on a normal visiting visa, working would be your choice but like i say someone will probably be able to advise you better.
All you may need to know. If not contact ATO direct.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...02_012_014_004

Ps... this is not meant as professional taxation advice, as a former poster on BE has hinted that info like this can be construed as unqualified professional advice contrary to the laws of Australia.

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 15th 2007 at 9:07 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
With kids in tow!
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can get a working holiday visa if you have kids anyway.