Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa

Wikiposts

Working Holiday Visa

Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future
Default Working Holiday Visa

Can you go on your WHV on a one-way ticket? How do you prove you have sufficient funds to support yourself?
Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:04 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa

Originally Posted by kelusa
Can you go on your WHV on a one-way ticket? How do you prove you have sufficient funds to support yourself?
Thanks
Yes you can go on a one way ticket and having a bank statement will prove your money. I believe $5000 is the expected amount. Chances of being asked are minimal however arriving on a one way ticket would increase those chances.

I arrived with an overdraft.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

yeah as far as I know Iyou need to show you have £2,000 - if you get stopped!
Just out of interest, why have you opted for a one-way ticket?
I'm going on a WHV is June but asked for a return ticket which will allow you to change your return date for no extra cost. The ticket is valid for a year and cost me around £570.
This works out much cheaper than getting a one-way ticket then buying another one-way ticket in Oz to come back.
From comments on this forum I believe the cost of buying tix from Oz-UK are much more expensive than the other way around.
Maybe worth a thought?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DianneH68
yeah as far as I know Iyou need to show you have £2,000 - if you get stopped!
I'm going on a WHV is June but asked for a return ticket which will allow you to change your return date for no extra cost. The ticket is valid for a year and cost me around £570.
This works out much cheaper than getting a one-way ticket then buying another one-way ticket in Oz to come back.
From comments on this forum I believe the cost of buying tix from Oz-UK are much more expensive than the other way around.
Maybe worth a thought?
Thanks. I'm just checking my options out. Who are you flying with? I think you're right - a return is the best route if you can change the return date. Do you have to prove your funds of £2000 before you go over or is it just you might get asked to show a bank statement when you arrive? What proof are you taking with you?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Thanks. I'm just checking my options out. Who are you flying with? I think you're right - a return is the best route if you can change the return date. Do you have to prove your funds of £2000 before you go over or is it just you might get asked to show a bank statement when you arrive? What proof are you taking with you?
Hi,
I'm flying with Malaysia, booked through a company called The Traveller in Morecambe. But many agents had a very similar deal.
I managed to get a good deal because it was during one Malaysia's (many!) offers.
You will usually pay slightly more if you want to be able to change your return date at no extra cost.
Or you can pay a slightly lower fare (about £30-£40 less) but then they charge you maybe £50 or £75 to change your return date - a good option if you're reasonably certain of your return date.
It's worth having a good chat with a travel agent to see what the options are and find out which one suits you best.
As for proof of cash, when I filled in the WHV application on the internet II wasn't asked to show any funds - just tick a box saying I had £2000 in funds.
I think they may randomly ask some people to prove this before they approve the application, but it's unlikely.
Mine was approved within days, no questions asked.
However, I only have an internet print-out proving I have had the visa granted and have to get my passport stamped when I get to Oz - I'm not sure if, at that point, they will ask for proof of funds.
I'm going to take a bank statement just in case.
Have you applied for the visa yet?
And when are you planning to go?
Good luck with it all!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
I'm flying with Malaysia, booked through a company called The Traveller in Morecambe. But many agents had a very similar deal.
I managed to get a good deal because it was during one Malaysia's (many!) offers.
You will usually pay slightly more if you want to be able to change your return date at no extra cost.
Or you can pay a slightly lower fare (about £30-£40 less) but then they charge you maybe £50 or £75 to change your return date - a good option if you're reasonably certain of your return date.
It's worth having a good chat with a travel agent to see what the options are and find out which one suits you best.
As for proof of cash, when I filled in the WHV application on the internet II wasn't asked to show any funds - just tick a box saying I had £2000 in funds.
I think they may randomly ask some people to prove this before they approve the application, but it's unlikely.
Mine was approved within days, no questions asked.
However, I only have an internet print-out proving I have had the visa granted and have to get my passport stamped when I get to Oz - I'm not sure if, at that point, they will ask for proof of funds.
I'm going to take a bank statement just in case.
Have you applied for the visa yet?
And when are you planning to go?
Good luck with it all!
I'm enquiring about the WHV for my pal (I've just been granted my PR recently). She's worried as there's no way she'll have £2k - I've said that I'll put £2k in her account and then she'll have a statement showing she has it but as soon as she has a statement showing that I want it back!!!Will you just be taking your most recent bank statement or will you be taking a couple of month's worth of statements?
Is that how it works then? You fill out the form online and then get a printoff and have to go and get it stamped? Where do you get it stamped? At the airport? We're heading to Perth where are you heading? We're heading over in Sept - can't wait!
You'll love it - good luck to you too!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm enquiring about the WHV for my pal (I've just been granted my PR recently). She's worried as there's no way she'll have £2k - I've said that I'll put £2k in her account and then she'll have a statement showing she has it but as soon as she has a statement showing that I want it back!!!Will you just be taking your most recent bank statement or will you be taking a couple of month's worth of statements?
Is that how it works then? You fill out the form online and then get a printoff and have to go and get it stamped? Where do you get it stamped? At the airport? We're heading to Perth where are you heading? We're heading over in Sept - can't wait!
You'll love it - good luck to you too!
Yes I think a lot of people get around the £2,000 funds that way, so I'm sure that will be fine.
As for the actual visa, I think you can apply by post and will get your passport stamped then, but if you do it online then you just get a confirmation email and they tell you to get your passport stamped when you're there.
If you fly into Sydney then I think you can sort it out at the airport, if it's Perth (where we're flying into) then they give you details of an office in the centre of Perth where you have to take it. This info will be with your confirmation email so you needn't worry.
I'm going to take a most recent bank statement, plus a savings account statement, and details of my credit card limit. Hope that will be enough!
Hope it all works out.
Enjoy Perth!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:50 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

When I got my WHV, my folks put 2k into my account, I got a bank statement, then gave it straight back to them. Its a very common fiddle, and I dont think DIMIA are under any illusions. I dont think they care too much.

I was never asked to prove my funds on the way out, even though I was on a 1 way ticket. As far as I am aware you only need to prove your funds when you apply for the visa.

I would travel on a return though, they are not much more expensive, and at least you have the trip home. If you find yourself skint when in Oz, it will be a load off your mind. I had a one way, and buying the ticket back from Oz worked out far mor expensive.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
When I got my WHV, my folks put 2k into my account, I got a bank statement, then gave it straight back to them. Its a very common fiddle, and I dont think DIMIA are under any illusions. I dont think they care too much.

I was never asked to prove my funds on the way out, even though I was on a 1 way ticket. As far as I am aware you only need to prove your funds when you apply for the visa.

I would travel on a return though, they are not much more expensive, and at least you have the trip home. If you find yourself skint when in Oz, it will be a load off your mind. I had a one way, and buying the ticket back from Oz worked out far mor expensive.

Thanks guys. How much does it cost to apply for the WHV?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys. How much does it cost to apply for the WHV?
Not a great deal. It's about £75.
Should be able to find you evreythng you need here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/visiting_whm.htm
Hope that helps!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:55 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i went out on a one-way flight. i did that, rather than a a return as i didn't know if i'd head straight back, or maybe go via china, or south america, or wherever... far easier to be flexible then.

as it happens, i ended up staying in australia and didn't go back for almost two years, so the return portion would have been lost anyway.

on a whv you don't really know what will happen, and a one-way ticket leaves you more flexible.

Maybe worth a thought?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
i went out on a one-way flight. i did that, rather than a a return as i didn't know if i'd head straight back, or maybe go via china, or south america, or wherever... far easier to be flexible then.

as it happens, i ended up staying in australia and didn't go back for almost two years, so the return portion would have been lost anyway.

on a whv you don't really know what will happen, and a one-way ticket leaves you more flexible.
I got a return ticket on a WHV - I used the return part - to go home pack up my stuff and tell my folks I was getting married and moving to Australia for good. You're right you never know will happen!!!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the visa to come through once applied for.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazz
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the visa to come through once applied for.
I went to Australia house in London and got it on the spot. Not sure how long if you send it off.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:33 pm
Badge

You cannot get it in person after Dec 2001. I went there then and had to post it to them around the corner.

Badge

I even bought a return ticket I was so concerned I wasn't able to prove my funds.