British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Working Holiday Done, Want To Return, Advice Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/working-holiday-done-want-return-advice-please-905618/)

kirky_bjk Nov 8th 2017 9:18 pm

Working Holiday Done, Want To Return, Advice Please

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum already finding it very useful.

Basically I recently returned from a years working holiday in Australia with my girlfriend.

Now I am back home in Scotland and everything is back to normal so I am exploring my options to return.

I am a qualified electrician and I was working unlicensed in Oz .

My girlfriend is a qualified early years educator who was mostly working as a private nanny in Oz.

I have been looking at the skilled visa route in which I would have to go for the vetassess assessment.

Has anyone went down that route, whats involved , how long does the process take and does it sound achievable for us ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers !!!

Scott

Tuxtrip Nov 8th 2017 10:49 pm

Re: Working Holiday Done, Want To Return, Advice Please

Before you do anything Scott, have a conversation with a registered agent to make sure you are eligible. There are a few in Scotland - Visa Bureau and OE for starters. Both will give you a free assessment and let you know about the various stages of application and the costs involved. They will also be able to determine which of you is the better applicant and the other can go as the defacto dependent. Good luck.

old.sparkles Nov 9th 2017 1:45 am

Originally Posted by kirky_bjk (Post 12378016)
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum already finding it very useful.

Basically I recently returned from a years working holiday in Australia with my girlfriend.

Now I am back home in Scotland and everything is back to normal so I am exploring my options to return.

I am a qualified electrician and I was working unlicensed in Oz .

My girlfriend is a qualified early years educator who was mostly working as a private nanny in Oz.

I have been looking at the skilled visa route in which I would have to go for the vetassess assessment.

Has anyone went down that route, whats involved , how long does the process take and does it sound achievable for us ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers !!!

Scott

Hey Scott,

As well as having an occupation on the skills list, you also need to ensure that you can pass the points test. When calculating your points, remember you can only count experience after you qualified. It is expected that you would have completed a 4 year apprenticeship, so if you have any doubts you can ask on here if needed. It is by far better to underestimate your points, than overestimate. In any application, if you overclaim points it will lead to a refusal and possible ban.

For the skills assessment, other than Vetassess, you can also use Future Skills and Vic Uni. The assessment has both a paper assessment (qualifications, references, resume, etc) and a practical one (including a theory test).

Check out your points first (Google will find it, or look on the DIBP website under a 189 visa) and see where you stand.

R0x Jan 29th 2018 8:39 pm

Hi Scott,
My husband and I have the exact skill set as you and your girlfriend and would be looking to do the same thing in Aus when we arrive. What area did you go to and what sort of income did you receive? We are concerned that whilst unregistered my husbands income may not be ideal and if there are even many employers for someone who is unregistered?
I'd also like to ask if your girlfriend feels employers are looking for any other relevant skills that are worth 'refreshing' or obtaining before going?
Kind regards
Roxanne

Pollyana Jan 29th 2018 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by R0x (Post 12430084)
Hi Scott,
My husband and I have the exact skill set as you and your girlfriend and would be looking to do the same thing in Aus when we arrive. What area did you go to and what sort of income did you receive? We are concerned that whilst unregistered my husbands income may not be ideal and if there are even many employers for someone who is unregistered?
I'd also like to ask if your girlfriend feels employers are looking for any other relevant skills that are worth 'refreshing' or obtaining before going?
Kind regards
Roxanne

As he only posted in November and had not even started the process I very much doubt he has got anywhere near Australia yet.

R0x Jan 30th 2018 11:21 am

Clearly he has been near Australia as he worked there last year. Scott was there on a working visa as he explained on his first post so he will have been paid as an unregistered electrician and his girlfriend as a Nanny. These are the two occupations I am researching so any information he has will be greatly appreciated. As would any from anyone else knowledgeable to this. Kind regards

Pollyana Jan 30th 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by R0x (Post 12430416)
Clearly he has been near Australia as he worked there last year. Scott was there on a working visa as he explained on his first post so he will have been paid as an unregistered electrician and his girlfriend as a Nanny. These are the two occupations I am researching so any information he has will be greatly appreciated. As would any from anyone else knowledgeable to this. Kind regards

However he is not going to be able to help you with the process of skilled migration, licensing etc. Only with a WHV he will not yet have got near Australia in any licensed, permanent capacity
My main reason for posting was that you may not have realised its too quick for him to ave gone through the skills visa process, skills assessments, licensing etc. As you clearly do realise that, I'll leave you to it :)

Good luck :)