Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working holiday car insurance

working holiday car insurance

Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default working holiday car insurance

Can someone give me so help i am over in oz on a working holiday visa and before i purchased a car i had a quote on insurance for the car.

I only want third party property damage well after buying the car i phoned the insurance company to pay or get the insurance sorted and they asked me a few more questions, maybe i should not have said as much as they asked me, but i said i was staying with relatives in victora and this was my address now etc.

But i said i may go to queensland and sydney later but not sure when, when i said this they where not keen on insuring me they said if i did go to other states i would not covered and see no point in taking my money if i did.

My relatives said maybe i should not have said so much then what would be the point in having insurance if i did go away i was not covered.

The company i tried was called aami insurance.

I was wondering if anyother working holiday people on here had same problems with car insurance on a working holiday visa, i am not bothered really on car damage or stolen etc,well i am a bit but i am more worried about hitting someone else and pay a lot out.

I hope and think it will not happen me hitting someone else but your never sure its a new country to me and a different car,even though i have been driving for years.

I need to know who will insure me if so please give some info as said im in geelong,victoria right now and i have tried aami and racv and they did not want to know.

There must be thousands of people that come over here and insure a car when they are on there working holiday visa after buying a car.

please let me know
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Working holiday makers normally buy a banger and insure it to the legal minimum.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by bondipom
Working holiday makers normally buy a banger and insure it to the legal minimum.
i know that but what happens if i banged into someone else i could be paying for a very long time depending what i hit.

for the sake of a few dollars for property damage third party?

I believe its ok to drive a car around oz without insurance is this correct but would it be wise?

I am not saying i will hit anything or anyone but things do happen.

Have you been on a working holiday visa did you take out insurance?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brian.w
i know that but what happens if i banged into someone else i could be paying for a very long time depending what i hit.

for the sake of a few dollars for property damage third party?

I believe its ok to drive a car around oz without insurance is this correct but would it be wise?

I am not saying i will hit anything or anyone but things do happen.

Have you been on a working holiday visa did you take out insurance?
The laws vary for each state but in NSW you get compulsory third party insurance with the rego of the car you buy. I just took the CTP with the rego of the car that we bought.

Someone with Victorian info will have to answer the questions for you. To be honest insurance was the last thing on my mind when I purchased a car on the WH.