Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working as an electrician on a WHV

Working as an electrician on a WHV

Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Mmc1725 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as an electrician on a WHV

I am going to brisbane on a WHV in august. I am an electrician and was wondering if it is worth while obtaining the relevant credentials, such as TRA etc. I was also wondering how much this would all cost and if there was anywhere in australia you can work without the australian qualifications. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as an electrician on a WHV

Originally Posted by Mmc1725
I am going to brisbane on a WHV in august. I am an electrician and was wondering if it is worth while obtaining the relevant credentials, such as TRA etc. I was also wondering how much this would all cost and if there was anywhere in australia you can work without the australian qualifications. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I think it may be possible to get work as a TA (trades assistant) without having your skills assessed - and it may be possible to get work in NSW as an unlicensed sparky under the supervision of licensed spark.

Getting skills assessed from the UK would be through either Vetassess, Victoria University or Future Skills, You would need a Tradeset report, all relevant documents and around $800 for first part of assessment. If you satisfy the assessors that you have the quals and experience, you would then need to do a practical assessment at a cost of around $1800 (check websites as I'm doing figures from memory). You'd be looking at a few months to get all that done in UK. Alternatively, once in Australia you could apply for ARTC with TRA - check website for costs as they went up considerably last year. With skills assessment, you could apply for a 'provisonal' license but each state has their own requirements and if you change state you would need a new license.