British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Working as an electrician in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/working-electrician-perth-792533/)

KandL88 Apr 1st 2013 7:05 pm

Working as an electrician in Perth

Hi all me and my partner are thinking of moving to Australia possibly Perth. My partner is an electrician working mainly in the commercial sector with new builds such as school, community centres etc. we have looked all over the Internet to see what it's like for electricians working in oz, specifically Perth with regards to snakes and spiders etc. are they an everyday occurrence for electricians as this is an issue which he is keen to know more about. Also is there a lot of work for commercial electricians in Perth. He has looked into the training and licensing which he is going to need once out there, so this is not an issue for him.

Also what sort of wildlife would you expect to see native to the Perth region which you need to look out for. Also what types of things do you get in and around the house? Are snakes and spiders a regular occurrence in the home and garden?

Thanks in advance.

msmyrtle Apr 2nd 2013 12:15 am

Re: Working as an electrician in Perth

I live near Perth CBD and work up in the Pilbara. Fortunately or unfortunately I have never seen a spider nor a snake in Perth. I have seen a very large King Brown (or so my coworkers tell me) slither across the road at dusk, good thing I was in a ute at the time.

spouse of scouse Apr 2nd 2013 3:59 am

Originally Posted by KandL88 (Post 10635217)
Hi all me and my partner are thinking of moving to Australia possibly Perth. My partner is an electrician working mainly in the commercial sector with new builds such as school, community centres etc. we have looked all over the Internet to see what it's like for electricians working in oz, specifically Perth with regards to snakes and spiders etc. are they an everyday occurrence for electricians as this is an issue which he is keen to know more about. Also is there a lot of work for commercial electricians in Perth. He has looked into the training and licensing which he is going to need once out there, so this is not an issue for him.

Also what sort of wildlife would you expect to see native to the Perth region which you need to look out for. Also what types of things do you get in and around the house? Are snakes and spiders a regular occurrence in the home and garden?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've lived in Perth all my life and the very few snakes I've seen in the metropolitan area (Perth suburbs) were around areas of dense bush, nature reserves etc. If you live in a heavily built up area without bush or nature reserves in the vicinity, your chances of seeing a snake in the back yard are extremely small. You do need to watch out for them once you venture outside built up areas though, especially in spring when they're waking up from their winter hibernation and are hungry :) Every Oz kid is taught common sense precautions early on, ie never reach into a hollow log or similar if you don't know what's inside, when walking through scrub/bush wear sturdy footwear, socks and thick pants, stay on pathways etc etc. Having said all that, if a snake sees you before you see it, it'll be off as fast as it can. They're not predators, and the only people who get bitten by them are those who surprise/scare/tread on them.

Spiders are another story, I must admit we do have our share of those. The only ones you'd really need to be concerned about are redbacks, which love to live in quiet, dark and undisturbed places such as the garden shed and under outdoor furniture. A yearly pest control spray will keep them under control.

I think the biggest pest in Perth is termites/white ants - you need to get regular treatments for these and if you buy a house, make sure you're given paperwork which documents that the property is termite free.

Oh - and flies. We get flies. Lots of flies :)

verystormy Apr 2nd 2013 11:20 pm

There are lots of upside wildlife. I live in mandurah which is south of Perth and semi rural, so we do see snakes, but they are rare and move off pretty quick when they see you. But we also see lots of kangaroos, amazing birdlife such as several species of parrots, sea eagles, ospreys, falcons. We also see dolphins a lot and sometimes they will swim with us.

KandL88 Apr 3rd 2013 6:32 am

Thanks everyone for the help hopefully it will be worth the big move :thumbsup: