British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   working a e220 modem from uk in oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/working-e220-modem-uk-oz-642144/)

brian.w Nov 25th 2009 4:16 pm

working a e220 modem from uk in oz

Hi guys wondered if anyone could help me out start of the year i got myself on of those notebooks,and a dongle modem from 3 thinking i could just use it in oz no worries i was wrong,for me to work it in oz i would need to have my modem unlocked.
I did so by getting a shop near me to unlock it,when in oz i then went and purchased a sim card for 3 and some credit to find the guy back home did not unlock it.
I then searched all over perth for someone to unlock it they could not,so i was then stuck with a sim from oz and credit i could not use.

I have now i think been able to unlock this online by using a website i found and i need to know when i am over in oz what the settings are for this modem its the e220 modem and im sure when you go to oz and start using it you need to change some setting on it anyone know what they are so when i get there i can set this up asap.

Also if you guys have the ones for uk too that be great as when i get back i might want to use it more when back.

thanks in advance.

Lucky Lucan Nov 26th 2009 8:02 am

Re: working a e220 modem from uk in oz

As far as I'm aware you won't need to change anything on the dongle but you will need to change some of the setting on the software you have on your laptop, however you'll need to know who you'll be using for you mobile broadband before you know what those settings are.

brian.w Nov 26th 2009 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky Lucan (Post 8126468)
As far as I'm aware you won't need to change anything on the dongle but you will need to change some of the setting on the software you have on your laptop, however you'll need to know who you'll be using for you mobile broadband before you know what those settings are.

im pretty sure you need to change the modem setting to allow it to work in oz as the uk settings are not same as the oz settings,i dont think its got anything to do with notebook,as for the network i be using its 3.

Lucky Lucan Nov 26th 2009 10:28 pm

I brought two dongles over with me but not a e220, but you really can't change much in the dongle itself, only in the software on the notebook (mobile partner or whatever you use) you'll need to put in the APN and authentication settings probably.

brian.w Dec 2nd 2009 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Lucky Lucan (Post 8127914)
I brought two dongles over with me but not a e220, but you really can't change much in the dongle itself, only in the software on the notebook (mobile partner or whatever you use) you'll need to put in the APN and authentication settings probably.

you know the full settings for the mobile partner to make sure what i have put in is correct including chap and other stuff it asks,i just want to make sure that they are correct.

Also im pretty sure my unlocking has worked what i did back home with my modem,what i need to know is say i try to log in and there is no credit what happens as i get an error or retry again,to me it looks as if i need to buy some credit,would hate again to buy some and find that it still does not work,as i did buy credit last time i was in oz with an oz sim but could not use as my e220 modem was not unlocked.
As im sure it is now i just buy some credit to use right?