Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working Conditions: Canada vs Australia

Working Conditions: Canada vs Australia

Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future
Default Working Conditions: Canada vs Australia

I'm in a dilemma. We've had our heart set on moving to Canada (Alberta) for some time now, but for some reason, Australia keeps popping into my mind and I'm now trying to do a little comparison of working conditions. When we emigrate, I will initially be the main earner whilst hubby enjoys his army pension and a small job until he decides what he wants to do! I will be looking for a job in HR/Training. The questions/ concerns I have for each country are:

1. What are the average working hrs (for office-based)-seems to be 40-44 in Canada.
2. Is flexitime/ part time working an option as I have 2 small children. Canada so far doesn't seem to be as employee-friendly as Australia (I could be wrong)
3. I know the annual leave in Canada is pretty low - what is it like in Australia?
4. What do all those with children tend to do during the holidays for childcare if both parents are working?
5. What's the cost of childcare like in both countries.

Obviously there won't be many who have lived in both countries, so I've posted this on both sites in the hope that my some of my quesitons will get answered to some degree.

thanks

Wozzie.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Working Conditions: Canada vs Australia

Originally Posted by woz718
I'm in a dilemma. We've had our heart set on moving to Canada (Alberta) for some time now, but for some reason, Australia keeps popping into my mind and I'm now trying to do a little comparison of working conditions. When we emigrate, I will initially be the main earner whilst hubby enjoys his army pension and a small job until he decides what he wants to do! I will be looking for a job in HR/Training. The questions/ concerns I have for each country are:

1. What are the average working hrs (for office-based)-seems to be 40-44 in Canada.
Average is 40 in Australia.

2. Is flexitime/ part time working an option as I have 2 small children. Canada so far doesn't seem to be as employee-friendly as Australia (I could be wrong)
Flexi & part time are both options. Local and state governments usually offer flexi time for administration work.

3. I know the annual leave in Canada is pretty low - what is it like in Australia?
4 weeks is the basic allowance; many employers offer more. I received 5 weeks of annual leave when I worked for Australia Post.

Australia also offers 17.5% leave loading (click here for explanation and details) and long service leave (click here for explanation and details). Australia and New Zealand are the only countries in the world which grant long service leave, and it's a bonus worth having.

4. What do all those with children tend to do during the holidays for childcare if both parents are working?
All sorts of things. I don't think it's possible to generalise.

5. What's the cost of childcare like in both countries.
No idea.