British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   working away/family coming to visit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/working-away-family-coming-visit-824578/)

brian.w Feb 10th 2014 7:43 am

working away/family coming to visit

Been in perth wa now for 8 months and started applying for work for past 6 month and packed in my job back in uk to get ready to come here so in all not been earning for past 10 months.
As you can understand keen to get back into work and starting taking some money in,but i have an issue.
I have a very large family coming over to see me end of march and as i be on a 3/1 im not sure what to do i want to be able to spend time with them and go places etc as im not sure when they can come back etc,yes ok wife and girl will be here but its not the same and its my close family.
Im not looking to tell employer they are coming over as they just might not bother giving me the job.
Whats the chances of getting extra time off,asking them after i have been started or just go on sick but then i probably need proof of that.
I have so much been looking for the work and had hoped to have been working long before now to have gained some holidays to take.
My family did ask me when was best to come over and we kept putting it off as i was not sure about work etc,but it had to be booked and now i may have to go away.
Any advise on whats my options are here they maybe ok about and understand but im just unsure,ok they are here for just under 4 weeks but if i can get at least 2 weeks with them i be happy.
Even if one of them weeks is my time off.

spouse of scouse Feb 10th 2014 10:43 am

Re: working away/family coming to visit

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 11121331)
Been in perth wa now for 8 months and started applying for work for past 6 month and packed in my job back in uk to get ready to come here so in all not been earning for past 10 months.
As you can understand keen to get back into work and starting taking some money in,but i have an issue.
I have a very large family coming over to see me end of march and as i be on a 3/1 im not sure what to do i want to be able to spend time with them and go places etc as im not sure when they can come back etc,yes ok wife and girl will be here but its not the same and its my close family.
Im not looking to tell employer they are coming over as they just might not bother giving me the job.
Whats the chances of getting extra time off,asking them after i have been started or just go on sick but then i probably need proof of that.
I have so much been looking for the work and had hoped to have been working long before now to have gained some holidays to take.
My family did ask me when was best to come over and we kept putting it off as i was not sure about work etc,but it had to be booked and now i may have to go away.
Any advise on whats my options are here they maybe ok about and understand but im just unsure,ok they are here for just under 4 weeks but if i can get at least 2 weeks with them i be happy.

Hi Brian - I'd like to say that your future employer would be understanding about time off so soon after starting (if you hadn't already flagged this with them at interview) but I'd be lying - they almost certainly wouldn't. They'd be pissed off if you took sick leave without a medical certificate as well.

All you can do is be upfront at your interviews. Tell them you have family coming over, and when, and say that it'd be fantastic if your swing could be arranged so that you can spend a couple of the 4 weeks with them. You'd also have to be prepared to tell them that you're ok with it if they can't accommodate your request.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't found work yet :(

Jilliebee Feb 10th 2014 11:41 am

I agree with Spouse of Scouse. Also your family have to understand that you're not on holiday in Australia. You live here and therefore can't drop everything when people visit. Explain that nicely to them that you hope to get time off (providing you get a job) but that you may not be able to spend as much time as you'd like with them. I'm sure they'll understand x

teza Feb 10th 2014 12:05 pm

Brian, seriously? You have whinged not having a job and no luck on job front for months now and you say "3 and 1", I'm assuming you've landed yourself a mining job. If do, this is a no brainer. Born Aussies fight for those jobs, and with mining jobs it "who you know". If you've managed to land one of those golden tickets, don't shake the boat.

What happens when the family goes back and says how beautiful the place is and next one visits? Honestly, live your life day to day, take the job and KEEP it by working! Oz employers are ok with family death and birth, and by law, about illnesses (you do need medical certificate from day one)' but family visiting doesn't qualify no matter how much we can emphasize your situation.

To be honest, you've spent the past year whinging about not finding work and now you want to skip it... No wonder 200 people looked at your thread and decided not to answer. So sorry, I may be frank bu ffs, we seem to be back tracking on fast track here!

irishbloo Feb 10th 2014 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by teza (Post 11121650)
Brian, seriously? You have whinged not having a job and no luck on job front for months now and you say "3 and 1", I'm assuming you've landed yourself a mining job. If do, this is a no brainer. Born Aussies fight for those jobs, and with mining jobs it "who you know". If you've managed to land one of those golden tickets, don't shake the boat.

What happens when the family goes back and says how beautiful the place is and next one visits? Honestly, live your life day to day, take the job and KEEP it by working! Oz employers are ok with family death and birth, and by law, about illnesses (you do need medical certificate from day one)' but family visiting doesn't qualify no matter how much we can emphasize your situation.

To be honest, you've spent the past year whinging about not finding work and now you want to skip it... No wonder 200 people looked at your thread and decided not to answer. So sorry, I may be frank bu ffs, we seem to be back tracking on fast track here!

Teza is right.You were desperate for a job and now you may just land one.If you get offered the job take it.I know people that do fifo and have missed important family events but that is just how it goes.Your family could either change their dates or you just enjoy the week you have with them and make the most of it.Welcome to the real world.

spouse of scouse Feb 10th 2014 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 11121707)
Teza is right.You were desperate for a job and now you may just land one.If you get offered the job take it.I know people that do fifo and have missed important family events but that is just how it goes.Your family could either change their dates or you just enjoy the week you have with them and make the most of it.Welcome to the real world.

This discussion reminded me of all the Christmases I've missed with Scouse, due to his FIFO work.
But that wasn't as bad as what happened in 2012. A couple of months before our wedding his swing was changed, which meant that he'd be away for the 2 weeks immediately prior - getting back late Friday evening, wedding the next day. Even that wasn't so bad - but a group of good friends that Scouse and his late wife had in Liverpool had been invited over, and were to stay with us.

So there I was, with a houseful of people I'd never met before, running around arranging a million last minute things while trying to act the gracious hostess and tour guide, and trying to show them that Scouse had made a decent choice in his new wife!! After a couple of barbies on the patio with ample liquid refreshments, we sorted it all out :D

Dorothy Feb 10th 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11121730)
This discussion reminded me of all the Christmases I've missed with Scouse, due to his FIFO work.
But that wasn't as bad as what happened in 2012. A couple of months before our wedding his swing was changed, which meant that he'd be away for the 2 weeks immediately prior - getting back late Friday evening, wedding the next day. Even that wasn't so bad - but a group of good friends that Scouse and his late wife had in Liverpool had been invited over, and were to stay with us.

So there I was, with a houseful of people I'd never met before, running around arranging a million last minute things while trying to act the gracious hostess and tour guide, and trying to show them that Scouse had made a decent choice in his new wife!! After a couple of barbies on the patio with ample liquid refreshments, we sorted it all out :D

That reminds me of our wedding. My husband and I kind of decided last minute to get married in a very small ceremony with only 2 other couples. He was rostered to be on call for the week and couldn't find anyone to swap shifts with so instead of changing our plans we went ahead with :fingerscrossed:. The ceremony went fine, then 1/2 way through dinner he got paged and went to work. :lol: At least he stayed until we finished eating before going.

LeeWillo Feb 10th 2014 11:00 pm

As someone who is involved in recruiting, your situation depends on the other candidates. If you were the best hands down, we could accommodate your request. But if you were on par, the other person would get it. I wouldn't take you on risking you going off sick.
I interviewed someone who asked how flexible we are with working hours. It is a standard 9 - 5 type job. I said the hours are fixed but you can shift lunch around or nip out for docs or leave early for appointments if required occasionally. She said oh thats good I go to Adelaide (4 hrs drive away) to watch the crows and I enjoy the Friday night games. I googled the fixture list and it is only 4 times for the season, but I don't want her asking for Friday afternoons off so got someone else!
That may be harsh, but I want to employ someone who will make my life easier, not someone I have to find cover for every month.

Bermudashorts Feb 11th 2014 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 11121331)

Brian, for heavens sake. You have struggled for work since you got here and now you are already planning sickies should you be given the only opportunity that has come up on the horizon.

I hope you really already know what to do. Why have your family been pestering for a visit before you got settled anyway? You need to tell them that work has to come first and you can see them for one week and perhaps they would like to take some trips themselves to explore the rest of the country during the other weeks.

KJCherokee Feb 11th 2014 10:47 pm

The very last time my father came out to Australia (1997) I was working in western Queensland and just had one week off whilst he was here - the rest of the time my partner (now wife) and her family looked after him. Be grateful that you can get one week with your family.

Londonertogooz Feb 12th 2014 12:59 pm

if i had to take time off every time someone comes to visit us in london i would be homeless... :)

teza Feb 13th 2014 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz (Post 11126271)
if i had to take time off every time someone comes to visit us in london i would be homeless... :)

Agreed. Unfortunately Brian moved here asking every question under the sun from Foxtel to wall hangings. Work has been priority only AFTER failing to find one despite us hinting towards it for ages.For nearly a year he's now wanted our help in finding a job so after all our time, effort and giving advice, this thread is going down like a lead bomb....he also has a habit, as with this thread, of asking a question, never to return to say so much thanks to any advice, good, bad, wanted or unwanted... Until the next question. Adding him to my ignore list.. Again, very brutal Brian, but someone has to say it....

brian.w Feb 18th 2014 12:38 pm

not been on for a while some helpfull comments there,thanks